Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Water restrictions starting.

Water restrictions starting.

Old Feb 2nd 2024, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water restrictions starting.

I think most people can make savings but there is a threshold where you have to ask “ do we live in a civilised affluent country?”

every summer for years our village had shortages in summer even with every household trying to only use 350 litres a day. Not easy in the campo especially with animals but do able. Then we were asked to reduce it further as the village well was now delivering less each day ( due of course to others draining the aquifer to water olive trees).

A friend in The Midlands has a neighbour who is a true water miser to save money. She “ steals” water from work to use at home. She flushes the toilet once a week. Apart from hygiene issues like not washing salad veg and so on, it backfired as the solids built up in the sewer and caused a blockage and she got a big bill.
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I have no idea what we must be doing with water as I didn't think we were profligate with it - we only have showers, no baths and turn off the water whilst we soap up, don't stand under it for very long to rinse off either. Don't flush after every use unless solid waste is involved. Run the dishwasher only every 5 days. We do usually 4 loads of washing a week on a quick wash programme which is supposed to use less water. Don't have a garden to water and use recycled water to water pot plants, no pool. And yet the bill I've just had for 2 months shows we used 13m3 and past usage is remarkably consistent at 12 or 13m3 between the two of us. So we are a long way under 160l person per day, but 18l per day each above 90l if we were to be limited to that. Racking my brains to think how we could cut down.
12m³ (400 l) seems odd Lynn. I just estimated our daily consumption for the 2 of us as -

Dual flush toilet 45 l.
Bath / shower 100 l.
Washing up 40 l.
General 40 l.
Washing machine 20 l.

Total 245 l.

Is your meter ok?
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Finknottle
12m³ (400 l) seems odd Lynn. I just estimated our daily consumption for the 2 of us as -

Dual flush toilet 45 l.
Bath / shower 100 l.
Washing up 40 l.
General 40 l.
Washing machine 20 l.

Total 245 l.

Is your meter ok?
That's 12m3 for two months, so 6,000 litres per month or 200 litres per day, divided by two people gives 100 litres per person per day (the limits mentioned earlier in the thread are per person, not per household).

I've no idea about our meter, we live in an apartment and all the meters are in a locked room on the ground floor so I could only see it if I asked the President of the community for the key. But our consumption has been at the same level ever since we moved to Spain 17 years ago, I can tell that because the bills have remained the same, and they were the same in our old house so it would have been too much of a coincidence if that meter had been faulty as well.

One thing I do think wastes water is that the hot water seems to take a long time to travel through the system until it comes out of the taps in the bathrooms so unless I want to end up with a washbasin full of coldish water some of it inevitably goes down the plughole until I can put the plug in. Not sure what I can do about that though. It's never a problem in summer because the water is slightly warm anyway so we don't need hot water to wash in, a lukewarm shower is more refreshing.
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

An article in Sur re water issue in Málaga area
https://www.surinenglish.com/andaluc...124911-nt.html
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

That's 12m3 for two months, so 6,000 litres per month or 200 litres per day, divided by two people gives 100 litres per person per day (the limits mentioned earlier in the thread are per person, not per household).

I've no idea about our meter, we live in an apartment and all the meters are in a locked room on the ground floor so I could only see it if I asked the President of the community for the key. But our consumption has been at the same level ever since we moved to Spain 17 years ago, I can tell that because the bills have remained the same, and they were the same in our old house so it would have been too much of a coincidence if that meter had been faulty as well.

One thing I do think wastes water is that the hot water seems to take a long time to travel through the system until it comes out of the taps in the bathrooms so unless I want to end up with a washbasin full of coldish water some of it inevitably goes down the plughole until I can put the plug in. Not sure what I can do about that though. It's never a problem in summer because the water is slightly warm anyway so we don't need hot water to wash in, a lukewarm shower is more refreshing.
Our common cost to includes water for 2 people so not sure what we are actually paying for, need to dive in and have a look! We do have a meter but I've never bothered with it due to above reason - perhaps I should!
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Fill a mop bucket with the water while waiting for it to get hot and use to clean the floor, water your plants or "flush" the toilet...

You can also save water by showering together...
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by growinspain
Fill a mop bucket with the water while waiting for it to get hot and use to clean the floor, water your plants or "flush" the toilet...

I can't get a mop bucket under the taps in either of our bathroom washbasins - don't think I haven't thought of it! We don't even share a bathroom let alone a shower.
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by growinspain

we did all that. I think folk have gone doolally. The answer quite simply is to create more water. The pittance and consequently the savings made by domestic users is a mere drop in the ocean. The Spanish Med basin is not going to get regular more rain anytime soon but does have a thriving agricultural business. A huge economy and feeds the Northern countries. Alternative? Buy from none EU countries, let the farmers go to the wall against non EU farmers produce? Better use of what we do have plus many more desalination plants would help. Where the hell is Hidrografia when you need them?

this is all like the crusade to get everyone onto Electric cars ( the water users in houses) and conveniently forgetting the real polluters ( shipping including all those cruises) and aeroplanes especially private planes) but justifying it by saying we need to start somewhere….. It is time to wake up and better manage what we have. It really is all a joke. Who drives there car with the empty light on the fuel gauge ALL of the time? No one .
Old Feb 4th 2024, 1:41 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Up in Catalonia the Ebro needs to be connected to the Ter and Llobregat... but politicans still don't have the huevos to take on the farmers. They prefer to use desalination plants and bring in water by boat.
Old Feb 4th 2024, 2:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You think that's bad. 20 years ago the EU paid Spain to build a huge dam south of Granada and create one of the biggest reservoirs in Spain. 20 years later they are just starting to connect it up to the distribution network!
Old Feb 9th 2024, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

It is reported in the press today that a consumption limit of 160 litres per person per day has been set for my area and the Costa del Sol. That's 50 litres or so above what we actually use so I am not worried about that. But how is that going to be enforced, by fining people who use more, or some other means, or more likely not enforced at all so totally useless. Press reports give no details.

Málaga y el Guadalhorce entran en nivel rojo de sequía: 160 litros para consumo por persona al día (malagahoy.es)
Old Feb 9th 2024, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

It is reported in the press today that a consumption limit of 160 litres per person per day has been set for my area and the Costa del Sol. That's 50 litres or so above what we actually use so I am not worried about that. But how is that going to be enforced, by fining people who use more, or some other means, or more likely not enforced at all so totally useless. Press reports give no details.

Málaga y el Guadalhorce entran en nivel rojo de sequía: 160 litros para consumo por persona al día (malagahoy.es)
I was going to ask that question! How can they monitor, control, enforce these limits?
Old Feb 9th 2024, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Voluntary - so those that care carry those that don’t or by price.

When ourvillage water supply was refuced due to the well drying up, everyone pulled together. Regularmeterreadings and the shame of not contributing worked wonders. There will always be selfish people.

I still maintain there hasbeen too little forward planning. Imagine , if we all had to reduce our usage of electric, internet, vehicle fuel, air. Bit third world.

Last edited by olivefarmer; Feb 9th 2024 at 9:48 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2024, 8:14 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

In Catalonia it'll be the water companies which will tell the Agencia Catalana de Agua how much every household is using which will pass the info on to each ayuntamiento and ayuntamientos have to come up with a model to fine households as they know how many people live in each house, details are still being worked out.

Or just sweep it under the carpet if e.g. they need to get some IT up and running which could take months or it's too close to elections.

I was expecting something a bit more worked out by now like automatic fine on the water bill. Not a law which announces restrictions and then a year more of everyone haggling to make it happen.
Old Feb 10th 2024, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You think that's bad. 20 years ago the EU paid Spain to build a huge dam south of Granada and create one of the biggest reservoirs in Spain. 20 years later they are just starting to connect it up to the distribution network!
Thats a typical Italian engineering project. The mob would probably be providing the cement too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.