Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Water problems in Nerja

Water problems in Nerja

Old May 17th 2013, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Trudyant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Water problems in Nerja

Hi we have a villa down the rio seco in nerja Spain.
Our water supply comes from Barranco el puerto which is a cooperative water company,we unfortunately where not made aware of all the problems with this system if we where we would never have brought this villa!!
We have had endless problems, we have water, than no water.
I went to Spain for a few days to find still no water? I phoned water company up and as usual I was told they dont have a problem I do!
I was told to go and read my water meter which is a twenty minute safari hike down the river bed as they are to lazy to do this,or as they say they cant find it ? (strange how they can find it to give me my bill)
I am back in the uk now having a rant as I still dont have any water and they wont help me my water pipes go through peoples land so I cant see if any of the pipes are broken!
Yes as you guest, its my job to fix these as well.
Can any body help!!!!!!
Old May 17th 2013, 2:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water problems in Nerja

Welcome to BE.

Sorry I can't help you as I live in the US...therefore I have moved your thread over to the Spain forum. Hopefully someone will be along soon to help you.
Old May 17th 2013, 2:43 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trudyant
Our water supply comes from Barranco el puerto which is a cooperative water company,we unfortunately where not made aware of all the problems with this system if we where we would never have brought this villa!!
I went to Spain for a few days to find still no water? I phoned water company up and as usual I was told they dont have a problem I do!
I was told to go and read my water meter which is a twenty minute safari hike down the river bed as they are to lazy to do this,or as they say they cant find it ? (strange how they can find it to give me my bill)
I am back in the uk now having a rant as I still dont have any water and they wont help me my water pipes go through peoples land so I cant see if any of the pipes are broken!
Can any body help!!!!!!
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 17th 2013, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trudyant
Can any body help!!!!!!
My first response would be to check if there is any water at the meter.
Then maybe check the pressure to see if it is suficient to to deliver a supply to your villa
Old May 17th 2013, 3:59 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
My first response would be to check if there is any water at the meter.
Then maybe check the pressure to see if it is suficient to to deliver a supply to your villa
I would also add that you ought to check consumption - for two reasons;
  1. Is somebody else using your supply (have they redirected it)
  2. Is there perhaps a leak
Old May 17th 2013, 8:29 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Easy to be wise after the event I know, but not having the meter located next to your property is an obvious drawback, especially if it gets damaged and starts losing water which could be costly on three counts, that of the water bill, agreeing damages with the landowner to sort it out, plus the actual cost of repair.

Also who knows if it is located at a safe enough depth below ground level to avoid such problems ?

Best plan would be to get it re-located next to your property for peace of mind if at all possible.

With regard to the intermittent supply, surely the best plan would be to have one or maybe two good sized storage tanks fitted with ballcocks so they automatically remain topped up for whenever required.
Old May 20th 2013, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Trudyant is an unknown quantity at this point

We have asked for meter to be moved at our cost but they say its not possible?
We have a large depositor but if were not there its hard to know if its been filled up or not!
I have been to another water company to ask to have mains water on,our neighbor is with this company there pipes are 12ft away but they said no as they give priority to new buildings.
Its very frustrating when no one will try to help its the 21st century ,but it does not feel like it,in the past when I have phoned the vigilante from the water company to complain about having NO WATER I was told not to bother him because he was playing golf,I could not believe what I heard so I asked
a friend to phone in case I had misunderstood the translation,I had not, than he added to her to tell me or that English woman to go buy bottled water.
What a nice man......................
Old May 20th 2013, 11:06 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really understand the issue.

WHEN you are there, have you checked the points raised above? Have you placed a lock on your water meter so that no one else can turn it on? Have you taken meter readings?

Obviously, when you are NOT there, then it doesn't matter if the villa has no water, surely.

I would suggest that you get somebody to check the pipe run to your villa. If it goes under someone else's land, then presumably you have 'easement rights' and can legally check the pipes and repair them if required.

The water board is correct, they are ONLY responsible for the pipework up to and including the meter - after that it's down to you and your plumber.