Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Rheumatoid Arthritis treatment in Alicante area

Rheumatoid Arthritis treatment in Alicante area

Old May 16th 2013, 11:58 am
Just Joined

FraisySoir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rheumatoid Arthritis treatment in Alicante area

Hello, I am new to Spain and have a UK S1, and I am in the process of registering for state healthcare cover. Does anyone out there take either Humira or Enbrel? or any other of the anti TNF treatments for RA.
Someone has told me they think these treatments only available on private prescription so would really appreciate clarification if anyone knows.
Thank you.
Old May 16th 2013, 12:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis treatment in Alicante area

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 16th 2013, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

FraisySoir is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you
Old May 16th 2013, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

ionie is an unknown quantity at this point

If no one can answer you then pop into a pharmacy and ask them, they will know for sure.
Old May 16th 2013, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

I have glucosimine, was free but now have to pay a small amount which is less than a euro a month
Old May 18th 2013, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

It would appear from this that they are available in Spain
http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...1/Spanish.aspx
Old May 18th 2013, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I was of the belief that Glucosamine was for Osteoarthritis not Rheumatoid Arthritis? be interested to see how good you find it as I am a sufferer
Old May 18th 2013, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bobd22
I was of the belief that Glucosamine was for Osteoarthritis not Rheumatoid Arthritis? be interested to see how good you find it as I am a sufferer
It is for osteo as it is (allegedly) supposed to rebuild cartilage round the joints. Although many GP's beg to differ and say once it's gone it's gone and nothing can rebuild it
Old May 18th 2013, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that's what I thought. It's anti inflammatory drugs for rheumatoid they work but then you end up with stomach problems.
Old May 18th 2013, 2:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennieJ
It is for osteo as it is (allegedly) supposed to rebuild cartilage round the joints. Although many GP's beg to differ and say once it's gone it's gone and nothing can rebuild it
That was my understanding too but when my MIL went onto this medication she found that she was in less pain and more able to move around and she was then in her late 80´s.

Rosemary
Old May 18th 2013, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Interesting Rosemary, I have come across this article in searching which is also interesting re it's use for rheumatoid arthritis

http://www.dearpharmacist.com/2012/1...e-glucosamine/
Old May 19th 2013, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold

Interesting Rosemary, I have come across this article in searching which is also interesting re it's use for rheumatoid arthritis

Doesn't sound too good . I think with RA so opposed to OA you are best off sticking with what the medical professionals prescribe what with it being an auto-immune problem
Old May 19th 2013, 10:29 am

I think that sometimes doctors tell older patients that they have RA and say that it is down to age just so that the old person has a label to explain their aches and pains. So that is probably why my MIL gained relief from the medication rather than that it might help RA.

Rosemary
Old May 19th 2013, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

That makes sense, also if she is aged then she will probably have a touch of OA as well and some find it does help that, I guess her RA will have been properly diagnosed by blood tests so she will have her meds for that anyway. Meds for RA are so much mor sophisticated nowadays, hopefully the OP will be able to get them in Spain easily.
Old May 19th 2013, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have had joint problems for some years now, have had lots of blood tests etc which indicated inflammatory issues. I was initially put on anti inflamatories which did work but as often led to stomach problems so I don't take them now. Only long term medication I was prescribed was allopurinol which is for gout???? doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever to be honest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.