Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Watching TV in Spain!

Watching TV in Spain!

Old Oct 4th 2011, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watching TV in Spain!

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Whilst I can still get most big matches via streaming, I wonder what live footie is still available on the free Spanish channels ?
There is loads of footy on the free Spanish channels. All Spanish though as the Premiership is now on GolTV

There is a La Liga match ever Saturday at 10pm on Sexta
Champions League on a Tuesday on TVE1
Champions League on a Wednesday on Canal Sur/TVE3 (Catalunya) and other local channels
UEFA league stuff on a Thursday, though cant remember the channel
All the Spanish National team games on TVE1

Anything else I watch on the streaming sites from my computer
Old Oct 4th 2011, 11:29 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It wasn't Sky that brought the case it was the Premier League.
Don't believe I stated otherwise.
Obviously the ruling could have far reaching effects on Sky as well as the Prem.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 12:56 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Don't believe I stated otherwise.
You said:-

Does it mean that Sky are acting illegally by trying to prevent subscribers watching it's programmes outside of the UK ?

It isn't Sky trying to prevent this - it was the FA.

Anyway, this was a case where the program was being received in the UK - not outside the UK.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 2:55 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You said:-

Does it mean that Sky are acting illegally by trying to prevent subscribers watching it's programmes outside of the UK ?

It isn't Sky trying to prevent this - it was the FA.

Anyway, this was a case where the program was being received in the UK - not outside the UK.
Because accorrding to a report I recently read, the same ruling could also possibly be applied to some other programming restrictions relating to Sky, but not connected to the Premier league, which is what I meant by far reaching effects.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 4:06 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

take your pick from

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15162241

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490

IMHO this was a long time coming as the law stands at this time. The FL should have known which way this would fall bearing in mind the free trade rules within the Eu.
As discussed previously, if you can receive it then you can watch it.

However, this may now lead to a drastic change how not only sport but all transmissions which may lead to changes on the satellite channels and the areas they cover. Which means expats in many countries may lose out in the longer term.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:02 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, despite what you hear, she lost her case.

She, as a landlady, cannot show games from other broadcasters in her pub, a public place, as that is in breach of copyright laws (broadcasting the football is OK but all graphics, theme tunes etc are FA property which she cannot play in a public place!)

But they have said that for private homes, you can go head and find cheaper deals.

But that may change as the next Premier League right deals are due next year.

Given that EU broadcasters pay only 4% of broadcast rights, the FA does not even have to sell the rights to EU broadcasters other than UK ones. It will be a loss of only 200m a year, but means that other broadcasters in other countries dont get a right to buy them...nothing in stopping the FA doing that.

And the ruling applies to ALL TV programmes on ALL TV channels, not just football, not just Sky, but every broadcasters and programme maker in the EU!

Also it may not make much difference for private people: Sky is advertising its sports package for £40 a month and movies for £46.25 a month; Nova is charging €52.20 (£44.71) a month for sports and €51.68 (£44.26) for movies. Is it worth it just to see a 3pm kick off???

And basically she has forced all pubs using domestic "other countires" subscription to pay for more expensive commercial subscriptions, that are valid in a public place - which may not be that much cheaper than Skys. Many pubs use other countries domestic subscription - and this ruling means that is illegal - and a full commercial sub is required - as that commercial sub allows the public viewing.... (I think)

Last edited by The Guy; Oct 4th 2011 at 5:44 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:07 pm
On the road again.

Whilst the case was brought about by the Premier league,as Mrs Murphy says she was in a sense taking on both the Prem league and Sky together.

It appears that they could continue to be difficult by deliberately screening copyright material throughout live coverage of actual matches.
This would be sheer bloody mindedness in the extreme,though I still wouldn't put it past them.

Do Sky have a legal right under EU law to prevent ppl.receiving legally subscribed programmes outside the UK borders ?
I have not heard of TV companies in other EU countries acting in this same dictatorial manner,though I could be wrong on that.

In any event this policy of progressively narrowing the transponder coverage footprints has very definite limitations unless some new technology pops up to make it much more practical and accurate.

As for less funds being available to the Prem league and its overpaid players, my heart bleeds for them.
It would be no bad thing for them having to take a step down from their ivory towers and cutting their cloth accordingly, even if it means they are slightly less competitive in the greater scheme of the football world.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:33 pm
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Watching TV in Spain!

I'm a bit confused, I thought you couldn't use Sky abroad? At least that's what they say in their website.

I'll get ExpatShield and will give it a try today as I'm right now in Spain with my family, hopefully that will work as we are hooked on some programs. Thanks for the tip!

I have to say that if some years ago there was a lot of delay between American programs in the UK and in Spain, now they seem to show almost at the very same time, even with the Spanish dubbing time in account. Not a lot of interest in British programs, but to be fair still more than UK channels have in Spanish programs.

BUT, in Spain I get tired of listening to the very same voices dubbing everything, and have always be against dubbing absolutely everything. 20 years ago we had the choice of viewing in o.v. or in Spanish, but now normal channels don't offer this. Shame! And then they wonder why we are terrible at English!

ONO allows to watch their programs in o.v. or in Spanish and also offers a choice of subtitle languages, which would be great for my "media naranja" to catch some Spanish with English subtitles to start with. Quite expensive though. We were thinking in getting both TV and internet with ONO, not sure if you have found something better?
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evamar

ONO allows to watch their programs in o.v. or in Spanish and also offers a choice of subtitle languages,
You also get this on lots of TDT programmes, free of charge.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:27 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst the case was brought about by the Premier league,as Mrs Murphy says she was in a sense taking on both the Prem league and Sky together.
It appears that they could continue to be difficult by deliberately screening copyright material throughout live coverage of actual matches.
This would be sheer bloody mindedness in the extreme,though I still wouldn't put it past them.

Do Sky have a legal right under EU law to prevent ppl.receiving legally subscribed programmes outside the UK borders ?
I have not heard of TV companies in other EU countries acting in this same dictatorial manner,though I could be wrong on that.

In any event this policy of progressively narrowing the transponder coverage footprints has very definite limitations unless some new technology pops up to make it much more practical and accurate.

As for less funds being available to the Prem league and its overpaid players, my heart bleeds for them.
It would be no bad thing for them having to take a step down from their ivory towers and cutting their cloth accordingly, even if it means they are slightly less competitive in the greater scheme of the football world.
sky makes more out of these deals with the FL et al, but have historically bought such deals with ever higher sums that others such as BBC\ITV cannot compete with. Its strangling the market but everyone is too frightened of Murdoch, the only person I know of who gave up his nationality to expand business in the US.
Why do you think he walked away from the NoTW so fast, he makes more profit in a month off sport than he does in a year out of a dusty old newspaper title.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 7:27 pm
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rachelk
You also get this on lots of TDT programmes, free of charge.
Fantastic, I'll check that while I'm here!
Thanks
Old Oct 5th 2011, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic, I'll check that while I'm here!
Thanks
If you do buy TDT tv or box try to get one that remembers the audio language. I have a couple of TVs/boxes and one automatically transmits in English if available. The other I have to manually set each time even if I only change channels when it's on. It drives me mad.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 8:03 am
Spanish, 40

Originally Posted by johnnyone
If you do buy TDT tv or box try to get one that remembers the audio language. I have a couple of TVs/boxes and one automatically transmits in English if available. The other I have to manually set each time even if I only change channels when it's on. It drives me mad.
What a pain! Could you please tell me the brand of the automatic one? We'll make sure we ask about this before buying anything.

Thanks for that!
Old Oct 5th 2011, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

What a pain! Could you please tell me the brand of the automatic one? We'll make sure we ask about this before buying anything.

Thanks for that!
I am not in Spain at the moment.
If The Guy is around I am sure he may know some brands
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:15 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Not all channels transmit the second language with the word "English"...only Disney does I think.

Many channels use a variety of "tags" for the seconds audio stream - VO, MUL, DOS, QAA.

Where are English is usually available to change the audio in the TDT receivers menu system, the various other tags are not available in the TDT receivers menu system. so many receivers cannot automatically switch to QAA, or VO or DOS as the option is not in the menu system, and you have to set the language each time you change channels.

However, SOME, recievers are able to save the desired audio language...so it will automatically use that the next time the channel is around.

Its the same with some TVs, some remember the desired language option, others you have to hunt around in the menu system for the option to change languages (I think sony TVs are a real pain to hunt around the menu system to find the option).

I honestly cannot remember which receivers can store the desired "second" auio - boshmanns and ikusi do i think....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.