Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Warning Sol Bank investment experience.

Warning Sol Bank investment experience.

Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:31 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all
Default Warning Sol Bank investment experience.

A year ago I was encouraged by a friend to open a sterling investment account with Sol Bank. The staff were extremely helpful, I was offered a good investment rate for a fixed 12 months and the £25 which my UK bank charged to transfer ALL the funds was reasonable.

A year on: The investment rate with Sol Bank is now is very low so I decided to move the funds elsewhere. The attitude of the bank staff was hostile. I was accused of taking advantage of the bank as they had made hardly anything on my funds and I had to pay 0.6% fee on every pound of the capital to make transferred, even to sterling account in a bank within Spain. There was no way to avoid that charge, which came to £881 on my investment.

They may not have made much on my cash, through their imprudence, when they had it but if they could get every customer to transfer their funds ‘now that would be a nice little earner’ !

Please Note: This is a legal charge but just because it is legal will not inspire me to transfer funds back to the bank when investment rates improve nor recommend my friends to do so either.

signed ............

NB: Sol Bank have had the opportunity to consider this letter but have not chosen to dispute anything I have said.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:01 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Warning Sol Bank investment experience.

Eek..I opened an sterling account with Solbank but never got round to transferring the funds.

Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:20 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by manamama
Eek..I opened an sterling account with Solbank but never got round to transferring the funds.

Maybe you transferred to a plan which they offered me which was a guaranteed return on the capital but it meant spiting my investment between two investments. One was based on the interest rate achieved by Telefonica and meant that I could finish up with no interest added, but the bank had the use of my funds for 12 months.

I was also not impressed in that there was a fundamental error in both the Spanish and English versions of the prospectus

That was why I transferred the funds to two other banks, Gib and Isle of Man. At least when I transfer from them I will pay probably £25 for a wire transfer or nothing if I do it by cheque. As I said there was no alternative with Sol, pay 0.6% or leave my money with them.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 2:12 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Buggers aren´t they! I opened an account with Sol bank when I moved here purely because they spoke English, soon regreted it, they just told me the good things in English and never translated all the parts about their bank charges....never dared to ask to use the bathroom there, they probably would have charged for that also.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

I did a similar thing with their sterling account, complete rip off moving money from it, duly closed a few days later!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Tolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura about

we have banked with Solbank for 5 years and have both sterling and euro accounts and have had a number of investments with them - maybe we are lucky with our branch and manager - but have no complaints- sure they do apply charges to our account, i just email them - (both the person assigned to our account and the branch manager speak fluent English and are very responsive and helpful) and within a couple of days a refund appears - we have also negotiated on their charge rates with no problems.

We are more than happy with the service we get from our Branch - but i guess like anything it depends on the people you are dealing with
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Buggers aren´t they! I opened an account with Sol bank when I moved here purely because they spoke English, soon regreted it, they just told me the good things in English and never translated all the parts about their bank charges....never dared to ask to use the bathroom there, they probably would have charged for that also.
You're a bit of a plank aren't you?

Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:58 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
You're a bit of a plank aren't you?

Because.........?
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:21 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

We were in Solbank by default as they took over NatWest (Spain). we were in the marbella branch. No complaints re. customer service but their charges are over the top. Probably the most expensive bank for ex-pats

An elderly widow who I know was persuaded to invest in one of their schemes that if shares rise by x amount they will get x amount. She invested 25,000 euro and received 94.7 euro interest after 12 months
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:52 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
We were in Solbank by default as they took over NatWest (Spain). we were in the marbella branch. No complaints re. customer service but their charges are over the top. Probably the most expensive bank for ex-pats

An elderly widow who I know was persuaded to invest in one of their schemes that if shares rise by x amount they will get x amount. She invested 25,000 euro and received 94.7 euro interest after 12 months
Don't shares go down as well as down?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Tolly
we have banked with Solbank for 5 years and have both sterling and euro accounts and have had a number of investments with them - maybe we are lucky with our branch and manager - but have no complaints- sure they do apply charges to our account, i just email them - (both the person assigned to our account and the branch manager speak fluent English and are very responsive and helpful) and within a couple of days a refund appears - we have also negotiated on their charge rates with no problems.

We are more than happy with the service we get from our Branch - but i guess like anything it depends on the people you are dealing with
Before I said I wanted to move the account my branch were wonderful to me too. All the staff helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble.

So with respect, the treatment a customer gets is not a measure of what WILL happen if they choose to transfer funds. 0.6% is a huge sum. It is applied on the whole sum no matter how large, even through of course there is NO MORE WORK in transferring £1 than many millions.

Examples:
£10,000 = £60
£100,000 = £600
£1,000,000 = £6,000

I tried to negotiate a better figure but they were adamant that was the charge and that was that. Head office reacted just the same. Not interested.

Last edited by johncar61; Feb 11th 2010 at 6:19 am.