VPN on router

Old Dec 24th 2016, 6:27 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VPN on router

Originally Posted by Fred James
They are far more concerned with the loss of revenue in the UK and elsewhere from card sharing systems. They have now stopped the HD options but you can get the whole Sky package in SD for as little as £12 a year. This is a far bigger financial exposure and has nothing to do with geo blocking.
And they are trying to stop this.
On the 31st Dec all Thomson Sky HD digiboxes will no longer decode Sky pay channels. These boxes are mainly used by cardshare networks. And the reason why Sky have sent letters to clients still using these boxes offering them newer HD boxes. And it is thought that next year all premium (sports and movie) customers still using SD boxes will also ceased to decode, and offered a new HD box.
Probably why Sky UK CS can be found for so little these days, its day are numbered....
Old Dec 24th 2016, 7:33 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

It just seems odd that Sky would block NowTV but not SkyGo.
Possibly they have blocked my SmartDNSProxy servers (somewhat stupidly you don't need to be a customer to see a list of their DNS servers). SmartyDNS may not be blocked (yet).
Old Dec 26th 2016, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjohnson
nothing is difficult, you have to contact your VPN provider. I remember when i wanted to setup my PureVPN to my router, i just contact to them via live chat & they solve my problem within few minutes.
See post #2
Old Dec 26th 2016, 8:17 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjohnson
nothing is difficult, you have to contact your VPN provider. I remember when i wanted to setup my PureVPN to my router, i just contact to them via live chat & they solve my problem within few minutes.
The truth is - it depends on the router, some can, some cant, but dont do it, you will hamstring all your internet performance, you DO require vpn for some purposes, dns solutions are not secure, but only use it when actually required as it mens your isp really cannot prioritise your traffic properly so they invariably put it all in the slow lane.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Saycheese is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to disagree. Most sites are available with Smart DNS while many are now blocking some VPNs, BBC iPlayer being a recent example.

It may be different where you are located, but in Spain DNS seems to work fine.
I am helping a friend out today with their TV. They have a samsung smart tv and priinet. I have vpn on my router but i dont think i can do it on priinet reading this thread so smarty dns looks the best option? Can yo get BBCiplayer etc still using smartydns based in tv?
Old Dec 29th 2016, 7:05 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Samsung Smart TV using SmartyDNS in the router and it works fine. You do have to go through a procedure to enable UK catchup apps in the TV, but I assume you have already done this.

You can also change the DNS settings in the TV if you don't want to change the router settings.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

I have a Samsung Smart TV using SmartyDNS in the router and it works fine. You do have to go through a procedure to enable UK catchup apps in the TV, but I assume you have already done this.

You can also change the DNS settings in the TV if you don't want to change the router settings.
Hi

Thanks I have changed the dns in my router but this is for a friend who is SO untechie she has a smart tv which she is using as a big monitor! She is using a cable to attach her lattop to watch tv as the apps all in spanish. So i am going to change the apps to uk and change the dns on the tv as she uses something called priinet as her internet. There is a router but i think its locked and they dont like you fiddling.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

which dns are you using i am using smartydns.com and was going to do the same for her but i wanted to make sure it works for a while as i know if she would have to change the dns in tv she would probably get stuck.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 3:12 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

As I said in my post, I use SmartyDNS.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 4:35 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Basic problem with any spoofed dns is that it does nothing to hide you from the provider of the stream, they know your real ip address.

Works like this.

Dear dns service, i'm mildred, tell me where is?
Dear dodgy.tv, i'm brian, and am local to you, whats your ip address?
Dear brian, its 1.2.3.4
Dear mildred, brian here, you need to know its 1.2.3.4

So mildred goes to 1.2.3.4 but as part of the transaction and stream initiation she has to supply her ip address to send the stream to and didgy.tv gives her a key/token to be kniwn as [this is why a dns service is cheap, they dont have to handle much data]

1.2.3.4 may just accept that she's brian but if they want its easy to spot where she is, and this service is whats becoming more common. In an even nastier twist, the services remember you, they just block your address from any service they choose. In britain the courts are ordering isp's to block piratebay addresses, one used to get a dns error, the actual transactions are now blocked by virgin sky and bt, much more efficient for them, easy to avoid [with a vpn.]. Yes one might use a proxy but they are so full of advertising, virii and other spyware i would prefer not to.

Are you also aware that even if they dont block you, some log your presence, in the hope that one day their lawyer will win a [no win no fee] test case in your country. If they do, its payday for the lawyers and tv co, they can bill or sue all the people they kniw about.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Dec 29th 2016 at 4:39 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough

This is an interesting thread. I have just had Movistar fibre BB installed and want to create a VPN back to my personal home UK server. I have RRAS configured at home which works fine (my kids use it to access blocked content over their school wifi) but I want to create a VPN from my Movistar router in Mallorca. On my recent visit I only had a limited time to look at the router as I also had to install a streaming webcam, so didn't have time to investigate properly. Does anyone know if the new Movistar Fibre routers are configurable for VPN's? It's the square grey/black one with no external antennas. I need to use it for NowTV and BBC/ITV iPlayers only. I can obviously do this on my laptop and feed into the TV, but it would be far easier to have the router configured. Thanks.

Last edited by SportyPorty; Jan 5th 2017 at 7:37 am. Reason: clarification
Old Jan 5th 2017, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SportyPorty
This is an interesting thread. I have just had Movistar fibre BB installed and want to create a VPN back to my personal home UK server. I have RRAS configured at home which works fine (my kids use it to access blocked content over their school wifi) but I want to create a VPN from my Movistar router in Mallorca. On my recent visit I only had a limited time to look at the router as I also had to install a streaming webcam, so didn't have time to investigate properly. Does anyone know if the new Movistar Fibre routers are configurable for VPN's? It's the square grey/black one with no external antennas. I need to use it for NowTV and BBC/ITV iPlayers only. I can obviously do this on my laptop and feed into the TV, but it would be far easier to have the router configured. Thanks.
If you have no joy with a VPN (not sure why you would need one to access your private server ??? surely you wouldn't geoblock yourself ) then you might look at a slingbox approach (qv)

Ooops - just read your other thread and note that you are not trying to dodge geoblocking to watch UKTV as most others who enquire are.

Last edited by MikeJ; Jan 5th 2017 at 10:31 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

I have to disagree. Most sites are available with Smart DNS while many are now blocking some VPNs, BBC iPlayer being a recent example.

It may be different where you are located, but in Spain DNS seems to work fine.
Here in southern Spain a smart DNS works perfectly for me, I can still watch BBC iPlayer.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

DaveT11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I move to Albir in a months time and just reading this thread has given me a headache

Is this the only way of watching English tv ??
Old Jan 9th 2017, 6:49 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveT11
I move to Albir in a months time and just reading this thread has given me a headache

Is this the only way of watching English tv ??
No. as in Albir you can receive quite easily and watch UK TV direct from the UK TV satellites with a dish... and no need for internet based things...(unless you really want "on demand" and "catch up")

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.