VPN on router

Old Dec 21st 2016, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VPN on router

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Thanks Mike and Fred

Ill check smart DNS especially as it may still get around the geo-lockers... and have less overhead. Last time I looked I couldn't get into Belgium with one of the biggest. I think it was actually called Smart DNS (but forgot).

There are several spare Ethernet ports on the priinet server, so I suppose I can just daisy chain my zoom router off that and load anything like vpn/DNS on that, and not touch the priinet router. Ive also tried replacing my priinet router and my little zoom router does it fine. But the whole reason for using my secondary zoom router is not to mess with their proprietary set up (and rules etc).

BTW a couple of years back, Mike, you helped me with all this router stuff, and I think I bought the same as you, the zoom router to use with a mobile internet dongle originally. See how I follow your lead with routers, and RFID wallets... and dongles!

Am I guessing that the ORDER of which goes first and second in the daisy chain is not important?

Thanks again for the help
Jon
I forgot about my Zoom router which must be in a drawer somewhere - I only ever used it for 3g. You may have an interesting conflict with two Wifi zones in the same room - make sure you set a different channel on each router.
BTW I have actually connected my smart box to the Priinet router using an Ethernet cable rather than wifi.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 1:57 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Dns services intended to allow you to steal streaming services are being blocked wholesale by most services. VPN services are much harder to block but that hasnt stopped the bbc trying for iplayer in the uk, but the better vpn services have already bypassed their blocks.

You can install a vpn directly on some routers, higher end asus and nighthawk routers are pretty east, its also possible to replace the routers os with open systems that support openvpn directly, eg asus have asuswrt.

BUT

Though it sounds nice and simple, there is a performance penalty of even the best vpn's, and its nothing to do with them normally. Your isp cannot know whats gping on in your encrypted tunnel so they usually prioritise it as low priority browsing, so expect to only get 10-30% of your normal capacity.

HOWEVER IMHO

you do need the vpn for some stuff like viewing streaming bbc, which at hd is perfectly possible in 1.2 mb, but you dont want everything else to have to go and compete via vpn, so only use vpn on a device by device basis and only when needed, eg in the uk, you need a vpn to access piratebays website properly but once you have got your bittorrent file downloaded, p2p doesnt need it, though if you are security conscious you can use it.

You can of course setup a router as your vpn router and plug it into your other router and generate a vpn wifi and an open wifi.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Dec 22nd 2016 at 1:59 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 3:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I have to disagree. Most sites are available with Smart DNS while many are now blocking some VPNs, BBC iPlayer being a recent example.

It may be different where you are located, but in Spain DNS seems to work fine.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 3:50 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I have to disagree. Most sites are available with Smart DNS while many are now blocking some VPNs, BBC iPlayer being a recent example.

It may be different where you are located, but in Spain DNS seems to work fine.
Whats happening is lawyer creep, the owners of copyright are the mainly american/uk based companies. When they negotiate new annual-ish agreements with end user suppliers like sky hulu amazon etc they are increasingly requiring prrof of operational technical blocking to limit users to the country being paid for. The platforms that do this are managed by people like cisco interestingly, they are increasingly sophisticated. You will get blocked at some point. It is a game between them and the richer vpn providers and there is no sign that a war will be won, just that battles are won or lost then guerilka warfare restores an equilibrium soon thereafter for the better suppliers users. Now ask who are the better suppliers - and i guarantee nobodys goung to tell, to avoid putting your head over the parapet. We have p2p vpn to look foreward to shortly, that will be a game changer.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 4:08 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean SkyGo, or the Sky Catchup system?
Well I was referring to the NowTV box and the NowTV Windows App, neither works properly with SmartDNS any more and if you go on the Sky forum they are quite open that they are now blocking access for SmartDNS. I'm not sure if they can detect that the geolocation data has been stripped away or if they have some other way of knowing.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 4:16 pm

When you ask a dns service to do its thing, you say 'my address is blah and i need the ip address for www.sky.whtever, the hiding services change/hide your sending address, but when your request gets to sky at 1.2.3.4 it has the sending address which has to be a real ip address but is the sending dns services spoofed - at which point sky choose to ignore it. Simple.

A vpn is a permanent redirection via a local ip address, much heavier data handling required but sky cannot argue that its in the required country but if they know its an address from a dns or vpn provider they might block it, ut if the vpn provider is swapping its sending addresses around valid domains, sky cannot legitimately block it.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 4:29 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that SmartDNS services do NOT hide or change your IP address, they simply strip out the geolocation data by routing that (limited data) through a proxy server.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_DNS_proxy_server
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 4:48 pm

What geolocation data do you refer to? There is nothing like that required in the header frame, how before devices had gos did the world know where your pc was ? Your ip reveals your location, they have to change the return address to their own then pass the response back onto you. Once your device knows the ip address you talk to the service direct, but if the service you actually want is fronted/guarded by something that can decypher your real return address....
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 8:39 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Well I was referring to the NowTV box and the NowTV Windows App, neither works properly with SmartDNS any more and if you go on the Sky forum they are quite open that they are now blocking access for SmartDNS. I'm not sure if they can detect that the geolocation data has been stripped away or if they have some other way of knowing.
I have a NOWTVbox but I don't have a Sky package on it so cannot comment on whether it works with a Smart DNS. However I also have SkyGo which gives me access to all Sky channels and that works fine with SmartyDNS.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 6:08 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Dns services intended to allow you to steal streaming services are being blocked wholesale by most services. VPN services are much harder to block but that hasnt stopped the bbc trying for iplayer in the uk, but the better vpn services have already bypassed their blocks.

You can install a vpn directly on some routers, higher end asus and nighthawk routers are pretty east, its also possible to replace the routers os with open systems that support openvpn directly, eg asus have asuswrt.

BUT

Though it sounds nice and simple, there is a performance penalty of even the best vpn's, and its nothing to do with them normally. Your isp cannot know whats gping on in your encrypted tunnel so they usually prioritise it as low priority browsing, so expect to only get 10-30% of your normal capacity.

HOWEVER IMHO

you do need the vpn for some stuff like viewing streaming bbc, which at hd is perfectly possible in 1.2 mb, but you dont want everything else to have to go and compete via vpn, so only use vpn on a device by device basis and only when needed, eg in the uk, you need a vpn to access piratebays website properly but once you have got your bittorrent file downloaded, p2p doesnt need it, though if you are security conscious you can use it.

You can of course setup a router as your vpn router and plug it into your other router and generate a vpn wifi and an open wifi.

Thanks for this.... Wow its complicated for a non- technical person like me. I think I should wait a while to see how the vpn technology changes to combat the 'lawyer creep'.

Great to know there are experts out there willing to help untangle all this 'stuff'

Jon
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 9:08 am

Remember its an ongoing-forever war, battles are never won long term by the suppliers, i wouldnt bother to wait, but buy into a good vpn service that covers all the device types you use, and has decent support - which means you have to go with a decent service.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 12:44 pm
Hostage Negotiator

I have a NOWTVbox but I don't have a Sky package on it so cannot comment on whether it works with a Smart DNS. However I also have SkyGo which gives me access to all Sky channels and that works fine with SmartyDNS.
I can't check whether it works for me on SkyGo as I gave up on my satellite subscription when I switched to NowTV as even with a 1.2m dish my satellite picture was quite poor.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 4:08 pm

It just seems odd that Sky would block NowTV but not SkyGo.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 4:50 pm

Give them time...
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 9:03 pm

Apart from the rights management issue, there is no financial reason why Sky should block either of them as they are getting paid for both options.

They are far more concerned with the loss of revenue in the UK and elsewhere from card sharing systems. They have now stopped the HD options but you can get the whole Sky package in SD for as little as £12 a year. This is a far bigger financial exposure and has nothing to do with geo blocking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.