vpn

Old Nov 29th 2023, 12:16 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: vpn

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
You can set it up at router level, assuming you have access, but I prefer to do it on my devices.
My router offers 2.4ghZ and 5ghZ and all my devices are too so I have the 5ghZ setup with SmartDNS and the 2.4ghZ direct that way I can choose between the two in an instant.

Not sure what you mean by 'secondary router', as I say you just set up the WiFi connection to use the SmartDNS router addresses.
That's clever, using the two different bands to differentiate between traffic using the SmartDNS and regular traffic.

By secondary router I meant something similar to your setup but using two routers. So your main router handles all regular traffic (devices not using the SmartDNS), and to the back of the main router you plug in another (probably smaller, cheaper) router that supplies wifi for SmartDNS devices.
Old Nov 29th 2023, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

jackteet is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys are getting far too technical for me. Perhaps I might tap into that expertise. I have had Express VPN for 24 hours. On my task bar is the link to Express. I have selected 3 servers that I will use , I hit on the one I want and thats it, I am connected.
Express like other suppliers list their wonderful tools and all the fantastic capabilities; all of which go over my head.
I accept that I am paying a premium of just under €100 for 12 months plus three months free.
To my simple mind I just want to hide my IP, afford some degree of security on our phones and access some uk tv channels.
I am paying for some tech stuff that I will never use and will never understand, so it occurs to me that a cheaper system willk suffice for my requirements.
Am I approaching this correctly or should I just stick with Express and disregard the cost. TIA
Old Nov 29th 2023, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackteet
Am I approaching this correctly or should I just stick with Express and disregard the cost. TIA
If you want to watch UK channels (i.e. unblocking geo restriction), then more expensive VPN like Express and Nord are good at setting up new servers when existing ones have been detected by broadcasters (BBC is particularly vigilant), so that you can get your channel back sooner rather than later.
Old Nov 29th 2023, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

jackteet is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, makes a great deal of sense. I shall stay with Express.