Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

VOIPCheap Ground Rules?

VOIPCheap Ground Rules?

Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default VOIPCheap Ground Rules?

Anyone use VoipCheap and knows what the ground rules are?
As an example, phoned the UK last night. Got my hours free for the 5c connection fee then got cut off. Reconnecting cost another 5c but now it was 1c a minute also. Is there a 60 max per number per 24hrs or anything link that?
Can’t find anything in the FAQ or terms of service except "fair use policy exceeded". Do they consider over 60 min a night to the same number is abuse of service or 60 min a week or???
Anyone know anything or point me at a previous thread that might answer my questions? I don’t mind the 1c a minute. I'd just would like to know the ground rules and what constitutes excessive use!
It is using the direct call option as the other person is not registered and has no PC so free person to person on the PC is not an option.
Thanks

Mr Brisca
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future
Default Re: VOIPCheap Ground Rules?

Originally Posted by brisca
As an example, phoned the UK last night. Got my hours free for the 5c connection fee then got cut off. Reconnecting cost another 5c but now it was 1c a minute also. Is there a 60 max per number per 24hrs or anything link that?
Can’t find anything in the FAQ or terms of service except "fair use policy exceeded". Do they consider over 60 min a night to the same number is abuse of service or 60 min a week or???
Anyone know anything or point me at a previous thread that might answer my questions? I don’t mind the 1c a minute. I'd just would like to know the ground rules and what constitutes excessive use!
It is using the direct call option as the other person is not registered and has no PC so free person to person on the PC is not an option.
Thanks

Mr Brisca
Hi Mr Brisca
Does VoipCheap work on the same principle as Skype ?

Chris
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Since buying credit on Voipcheap I get charged for calls to the UK from the first minute although I am getting free calls to the USA.

I have emailed them dozens of times with no response and have now demanded that they refund the credit left on the account and the charges made for the calls to the UK. It's only about €10 but that's not the point.

I have now registered with Voipstunt but have not bought any credit and seem to be getting unlimited free calls to the UK and USA.

The both work in a similar way to Skype but the protocols are not compatible.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I’d say its much better than Skype.
The main advantage being you type in your number and the destination number into a window and your “landline” phone rings. When you answer the destination “Landline” rings. They answer and you are connected over normal landline phone system. You are not subject to the poor connections you sometimes get on SkypeOut when you have to use an Internet phone. There are a few restrictions like 60 min max call and a 5c (euro cent) connection fee but otherwise the calls are free up to 5 hours per week. You have to load €10 into your account. That gives you 90 days of “free” calls. Free calls = just a 5c connection fee. Give it a try on the website www.voipcheap.com no obligation and no credit card needed to try it! We used to use Skype but have migrated to this service now.
I’m sure there are others out there too. We will move when we find a better one.
Hope that helps!

Mr Brisca
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Since buying credit on Voipcheap I get charged for calls to the UK from the first minute although I am getting free calls to the USA.

I have emailed them dozens of times with no response and have now demanded that they refund the credit left on the account and the charges made for the calls to the UK. It's only about €10 but that's not the point.

I have now registered with Voipstunt but have not bought any credit and seem to be getting unlimited free calls to the UK and USA.

The both work in a similar way to Skype but the protocols are not compatible.
Thats a shame
I was going to suggest Skype as an alternative
Old Feb 6th 2007, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Skype is certainly an alternative but only Skype to Skype calls are free whereas with Voipcheap and Voipstunt you get free calls to landlines (at least, theoretically)
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:44 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

We use voipcheep and I have now for 4 months I had to put on 10 Euro credit the first 90 days We use the credit to call mobiles and I have had no limit with the calls to UK land lines a lot more than 5 hours per week. It does cut off after an hour, but you just redial. We the put a further 10 Euros for the next 90 days, works great no problems at all, we use Skype to to call our Kids PC to PC and use video chat. We still to understand how Voipcheep can function FREE CALLS. But we dont knock it
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Skype suits us, we only have a holiday home in Spain at this moment in time,hopefully this will change in the near future.
As you probable know Skype Out is 0.017 euros a minute world wide which is not to bad a tariff.
I have a laptop & use a network when we are in the apartment so it is convenient for us

Chris
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

tawaghorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: VOIPCheap Ground Rules?

Originally Posted by brisca
Thanks

Mr Brisca
Download Skype much cheaper