Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Visiting Spain with Non EU husband (I'm British citizen)

Visiting Spain with Non EU husband (I'm British citizen)

Old Feb 18th 2020, 8:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Spain with Non EU husband (I'm British citizen)

Originally Posted by Nora_
Hi again, Thanks for all the valuable info.

My husband received his passport back with visa looking forward to our trip to Spain.

It's multi entry visa (90 days within 6 month) , which I understand we can travel again to other european countries without exceeding overall 90 days in Schengen area. In "observation" of the visa it indicate "Familiar UE/EEE". My question is: can my husband travel alone to any other europen country in upcoming months (after our trip to spain)? Or should I always accompany him?
You’ll need to travel with him. He’ll need a Schengen visitor visa to travel alone.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

It is still full-blown Schengen visa, even though issued to a family member of EU citizen (free of charge, with simplified requirements etc). If all he has is Article 10/20 residence card as a family member of EU citizen, he will need to travel with his wife or be joining her at the destination.

Last edited by Joppa; Feb 18th 2020 at 9:05 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 9:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
It is still full-blown Schengen visa, even though issued to a family member of EU citizen (free of charge, with simplified requirements etc). If all he has is Article 10/20 residence card as a family member of EU citizen, he will need to travel with his wife or be joining her at the destination.
No, they are two separate things. If the husband attempts to travel alone then he’ll be refused entry. He’ll either need to join the OP in Spain or be accompanied by her.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

There is only one kind of Schengen visa, though depending on the applicant's status, it may have different periods of validity, cost and application process.
Please show me where you find two kinds of Schengen visa mentioned in official sources.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 10:20 pm

There is only one kind of Schengen visa, though depending on the applicant's status, it may have different periods of validity, cost and application process.
Please show me where you find two kinds of Schengen visa mentioned in official sources.
There’s a Schengen visitor visa and there’s an EU/EEA Family Member visa. One is not a variation of the other; they are completely different.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes there are different kinds of visa but they are for different purposes. If you are a visa national (i.e. a visa is required to enter Schengen, such as the OP's spouse), then you need a Schengen visa. If you are a family member of EEA citizen, the same visa is issued free, with streamlined application process and carries the designation 'family member of EEA national'. This is what the OP's spouse now has and it allows him to travel on his own to any Schengen countries.
If you and your wife are moving to Spain, then you will apply for Type D Spanish visa for EU family member (which allows you to enter Schengen area through any other state), but you either need to travel together or you join your wife already in Spain.
Once you register as resident and obtain your residence card as family member of EEA national (called Article 10 card), this allows you to travel in Schengen zone for 90-in-180 days but you can't travel alone. To do so you need to obtain Schengen visa, issued free, and as Spanish resident and EU family member, it will be for a year or more duration but each visit will be limited to 90-in-180 days

Last edited by Joppa; Feb 18th 2020 at 10:53 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 11:06 pm

Yes there are different kinds of visa but they are for different purposes. If you are a visa national (i.e. a visa is required to enter Schengen, such as the OP's spouse), then you need a Schengen visa. If you are a family member of EEA citizen, the same visa is issued free, with streamlined application process and carries the designation 'family member of EEA national'. This is what the OP's spouse now has and it allows him to travel on his own to any Schengen countries.
No, it doesn't. Please stop giving out misinformation. If he travels by himself then he will be refused entry.

This visa may be issued to the families of citizens of the European Union, which, by their nationality, are subject to the visa requirement, provided accompaniment of the citizens of the; EU, EEA or Switzerland, or to meet with them.
Entry Visa for Family Members of Citizens of the EU
Old Feb 18th 2020, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

This may reflect the requirement for Spain for someone living in US, but the OP's spouse has obtained visa elsewhere (Azabajan?) and if he has obtained Schengen visa, it should be valid for solo travel throughout the zone.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 12:21 am

You keep conflating a Schengen visitor visa with an EU/EEA Family Member visa. They are not the same thing.

The OP resides in the UK with her husband but their location is irrelevant. The Spanish consulate in the UK gives the same guidance:

I AM A THIRD NATIONAL RESIDING IN THE UK AND MARRIED/DEPENDENT OF A UK CITIZEN.
DO I NEED A VISA TO TRAVEL TO SPAIN?

Yes, you do.

Spouses/dependents of UK citizens may apply for an EU/EEA FAMILY MEMBER VISA when travelling with the EU citizen or when meeting the EU citizen in the country of destination. EU/EEA family member visa is a free visa.

Please carefully read the documents required to apply for a EU/EEA family member visa. Failure to fulfill all requirements may lead to the refusal of you visa.

In order to apply for an EU/EEA family member visa, please get an appointment at BLS International London: https://uk.blsspainvisa.com/visa4spain/

Please note that spouses/dependents of UK citizens can also travel to the Schengen area, accompanied or on their own, with a Schengen tourism visa.
Visas (FAQ)
Old Feb 19th 2020, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see that he was able to get a visa but on another forum there have been posts indicating that spousal rights are not covered by the transition agreement for new applicants, ie if she wanted to live permanently in Spain with her husband then the current very easy system would not apply (and vice-versa for EU national who moves to UK with non EU spouse).
Old Feb 19th 2020, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Nora_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britishbull
Good to see that he was able to get a visa but on another forum there have been posts indicating that spousal rights are not covered by the transition agreement for new applicants, ie if she wanted to live permanently in Spain with her husband then the current very easy system would not apply (and vice-versa for EU national who moves to UK with non EU spouse).
Hi, we are just visit for long weekend break and will return back to the UK
Old Feb 19th 2020, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You keep conflating a Schengen visitor visa with an EU/EEA Family Member visa. They are not the same thing.

The OP resides in the UK with her husband but their location is irrelevant. The Spanish consulate in the UK gives the same guidance:

Visas (FAQ)
Thanks a lot
Old Feb 19th 2020, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Nora
What does it say under VISADO on your husband's visa, Espana or Estados Schengen?
Old Feb 19th 2020, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Nora
What does it say under VISADO on your husband's visa, Espana or Estados Schengen?
it says just "Estados Schengen"
Old Feb 19th 2020, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Then he has a Schengen visa and can travel on his own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.