Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Violence in Spain

Violence in Spain

Old Sep 27th 2012, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Violence in Spain

Originally Posted by billgates
An alternative point of view might be that the world is not in fact a more dangerous place, we are just being constantly told that it is.
The reason? Control.
Freedom of speech is being erased, the right to protest being removed - all under the banner of "The War on Terror!".
Do we actually know that terrorism is on the increase?

I think you better go and hide under the bed, they are all out to get you.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get me!!
Old Sep 27th 2012, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
You're probably right. Those in power only have our best interests at heart.
After all, we're all in it together. Big Society and all that.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:05 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
There are two kinds of paranoia associated with conspiracy theories; one is the actual belief that 'they are out to get you', the other is a rather curious delusion that causes the sufferer to need to know more than the rest of us - that they have an insight that the rest of us don't have - so they are superior. These latter call us 'sheeple' (clever huh?) and use such phrases as 'I'm not surprised you think that - that's what they want you to think' and 'WAKE UP!!'

It won't be long before a poster here says one of those...
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:09 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Anyone seen the Police in action this week at the Madrid demos
Franco would have been proud.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Do you really think that its no more dangerous today as in the past? Despite Lockerbie, 9/11, London Bombings, Al Queda, Human suicide bombers on a regular basis, people REGULARY being decapitated with knives in the most brutish way etc. etc. etc. do you REALLY think that? I give up.............................
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
There are two kinds of paranoia associated with conspiracy theories; one is the actual belief that 'they are out to get you', the other is a rather curious delusion that causes the sufferer to need to know more than the rest of us - that they have an insight that the rest of us don't have - so they are superior. These latter call us 'sheeple' (clever huh?) and use such phrases as 'I'm not surprised you think that - that's what they want you to think' and 'WAKE UP!!'

It won't be long before a poster here says one of those...
Agree, I can't understand this "they are all out to get me" thing. Does it worry me that they are videoing me as I walk down the street, that they know my movements, that they know my spending habits, my surfing habits etc? Not a jot! If they have nothing better to do, let them carry on. I have nothing to hide, I've a mind of my own, it doesn't worry me at all.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio
Do you really think that its no more dangerous today as in the past? Despite Lockerbie, 9/11, London Bombings, Al Queda, Human suicide bombers on a regular basis, people REGULARY being decapitated with knives in the most brutish way etc. etc. etc. do you REALLY think that? I give up.............................
What?

Lockerbie was 20 years ago, 9/11 was 11 years ago

Human suicide bombers on a regular basis? And people being decapitated? Only in the middle east. These things dont happen in the West

There are always wars going on and violence. 30 years ago was teh Cold War, 60 years ago WW1I, 90 years ago WW1, things are way better nowadays
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:21 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
What?

Human suicide bombers on a regular basis? And people being decapitated? Only in the middle east. These things dont happen in the West

There are always wars going on and violence. 30 years ago was teh Cold War, 60 years ago WW1I, 90 years ago WW1, things are way better nowadays
Well unbelievable... I have to agree with you.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:31 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

What?

do you really believe that ?
I suppose you do, after all you posted it

things have got better in Europe and the West in general, but there are still wars in places like Sudan and Somalia, the 2 Koreas are still facing up to each other, "little" disputes such as Falklands popping up out of nowhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14464405

and it isnt just the combatants who suffer
http://www.theborneopost.com/2012/09...-in-war-zones/

until there is NO war, NO fighting anywhere, TOTAL PEACE even for just a day or two then perhaps you can shout.

or is it just a case of Not In My Back Yard
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
do you really believe that ?
I suppose you do, after all you posted it

things have got better in Europe and the West in general, but there are still wars in places like Sudan and Somalia, the 2 Koreas are still facing up to each other, "little" disputes such as Falklands popping up out of nowhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14464405

and it isnt just the combatants who suffer
http://www.theborneopost.com/2012/09...-in-war-zones/

until there is NO war, NO fighting anywhere, TOTAL PEACE even for just a day or two then perhaps you can shout.

or is it just a case of Not In My Back Yard
Yes I would love peace everywhere

But if you look back over the past 500 years or so, we are living in more peaceful times now than ever before. That doesnt mean we can't try harder, and we should - but the environment of fear is completely fabricated and has nothing to do with reality
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:50 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I would love peace everywhere

But if you look back over the past 500 years or so, we are living in more peaceful times now than ever before. That doesnt mean we can't try harder, and we should - but the environment of fear is completely fabricated and has nothing to do with reality
well when you are next on Miss World - ask for it, for what good it will do you.

surely man is the only creature that kills own species "for fun" and other species "for sport" not out of the need to eat to sustain life.

despite my age and decrepitude I can't remember back 500 years (yet) but I have been involved in and on the edge of a number of "incidents" or "skirmishes" that are not recorded as wars.

perhaps your "more peaceful times" should be explained to those whose relatives were killed by bombs in buses and trains, those who just happened to be standing in a bus queue when some young eejut drives past with a machine pistol (not that there are any guns in the UK and very few in Spain). When a copper turns up to say their child has been knifed at school, on the way home, or whilst out shopping.

I still think you are living in a parallel world to the rest of us,
Old Sep 27th 2012, 10:01 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
well when you are next on Miss World - ask for it, for what good it will do you.

surely man is the only creature that kills own species "for fun" and other species "for sport" not out of the need to eat to sustain life.

despite my age and decrepitude I can't remember back 500 years (yet) but I have been involved in and on the edge of a number of "incidents" or "skirmishes" that are not recorded as wars.

perhaps your "more peaceful times" should be explained to those whose relatives were killed by bombs in buses and trains, those who just happened to be standing in a bus queue when some young eejut drives past with a machine pistol (not that there are any guns in the UK and very few in Spain). When a copper turns up to say their child has been knifed at school, on the way home, or whilst out shopping.

I still think you are living in a parallel world to the rest of us,
This is known as The Fallacy of the Rose Tinted Spectacles. The incidents you mention happen of course but they always did. It is not easily possible to say whether things are better or worse now than they ever were. Many people perceive that things are worse nowadays but one reason could be that communications are vastly improved from what they were even only twenty years ago - several 24 hour TV news programmes beaming live pictures from all over the world - unheard of only a few years ago - and, of course, the internet.

No-one without hard data (which is difficult to gather) can possible say that things are worse - only that they perceive them to be.

And my cat kills for fun.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jimenato
This is known as The Fallacy of the Rose Tinted Spectacles. The incidents you mention happen of course but they always did. It is not easily possible to say whether things are better or worse now than they ever were. Many people perceive that things are worse nowadays but one reason could be that communications are vastly improved from what they were even only twenty years ago - several 24 hour TV news programmes beaming live pictures from all over the world - unheard of only a few years ago - and, of course, the internet.

No-one without hard data (which is difficult to gather) can possible say that things are worse - only that they perceive them to be.

And my cat kills for fun.
Again, Exactly

The world DD lives in is one of 24 hour TV and scandelous stories in the newspapers. Turn it off and listen to what the people who know experience and say. You will find that the world is a much better place!

For example, I've never heard of people being machine gunned down at a bus stop. Where did this happen? I doubt it was in the UK or Spain. You know that on average only 10 people are shot dead every year in the UK? In Spain it is about 100, but still they are incredibly safe countries

How often does a child get killed at school? Probably once every 5 years, or less!

Statistically if anyone is going to kill you, it will be your partner, or a family member. They are the ones you have to worry about!
Old Sep 27th 2012, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
And I suppose that if they had spotted a couple of robocops patrolling inside they would have thought, "Oh my! there's a couple of seriously hard-looking armed and dangerous policemen in there, let's choose a different airport to drive this car into."

The outcome would have been the same regardless.
Well I would agree that inside the airport there would be little chance of the police using fireaerms in any situatiion. However outside if used to prevent an attack woul seem sensible to me. Main point I was making is they were clearly not community officers. They carry firearms in many airports because they are high risk potential terrorist targets and the police strangely enough have a duty of protecting the public . I think we will just have to agree to disagree. I don't want to live in a police or military state. You seem to be of the view that people should be able to do what they want, no doubt that is so long as it is not against you or yours when no doubt you would call the police and demand they use the full force of the law.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

During the troubles in Northern Ireland there were never ending stories of people being shot, kneecapped, bombed.
Nowadays we hear about every little skirmish around the world. I'm pretty sure it was also going on before the days of 24H news and Internet.
The world today is a far safer place than it used to be but the powers-that-be would have you believe otherwise.
Call me a conspiracy theorist nut if you must.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.