Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Valencia region

Valencia region

Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Valencia region

I am currently in Alfafar. It is a smaller town that is an 8 minutes ride on the train to Valencia city. there are many houses here for sale and for rent.
it is a great place with 2 other towns surrounding (Benetusser and Sedavi). It has everything.
I guess it depends on if u want city living or country living. house prices here have dropped alot.

living in Alfafar there is no english here and I havent meet one person who speaks english. I have very little spanish but i get by since everyone is so nice. (my husband is from here).
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Valenciablue is an unknown quantity at this point

The outskirts of Valencia have always been relatively cheap in comparison to the city centre, as most of the Valencian's choose to live in city flats close to work, prefering not to travel by car, keeping the outskirt prices fairly low.

Personally I prefer to live in a city flat as it means I can walk or take a short bus trip to work, have easy access to nightlife and restaurants and my social network, and I don't have to worry about pool and garden maintenance, or having to drive too often.

However, I can understand how someone else would prefer the quietness of the countryside, with a garden and pool. For that reason many people choose to live in areas around Llíria, Montroy, Monserrat, etc. It's worth taking note, as others have commented, that these areas are generally valencia speaking areas, although they can speak castellano if necessary.

There isn't a huge British community in Valencia, but there are organised social groups that get people together.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 10:20 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Valenciablue
The outskirts of Valencia have always been relatively cheap in comparison to the city centre, as most of the Valencian's choose to live in city flats close to work, prefering not to travel by car, keeping the outskirt prices fairly low.

Personally I prefer to live in a city flat as it means I can walk or take a short bus trip to work, have easy access to nightlife and restaurants and my social network, and I don't have to worry about pool and garden maintenance, or having to drive too often.

However, I can understand how someone else would prefer the quietness of the countryside, with a garden and pool. For that reason many people choose to live in areas around Llíria, Montroy, Monserrat, etc. It's worth taking note, as others have commented, that these areas are generally valencia speaking areas, although they can speak castellano if necessary.

There isn't a huge British community in Valencia, but there are organised social groups that get people together.
As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:05 am
Just Joined

Macberry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by licqurish
My husband and I are planning to move to Spain within the next 2 yrs. We have yet to decide 100% on the area. I am constantly researching the property market in Spain and have noticed that property in the Valencia region inland (Eg. Lliria) seems to be very good value for money - 3 bed villa with some land and pool at around 130,000 euros. We have not yet visited the Valencia region and have now become quite interested! Can anyone living in the Valencia region help us with some queries: What is the inland area like for living? Why are these properties so reasonably priced? Is the 'land grab' problem still a problem there - hence the low prices? Thanks for your help. Lesley
We like you are doing our research and became aware of the land grabs etc. We decided that with so much property to choose from, why risk buying in an area with as suspect track record. However if you really like the area and can afford to risk your investment then go for it.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough

i have a child and if you have children and want alot of parks and a bit quieter life, Alfafar is good for that. there is a mall within walking distance of the whole town and smaller strip malls. alot of major chain stores. Benetusser and Sedavi are right next to us so there are two more very small towns very easily accessible to the train station to valencia.

there are alot of places for sale and rent here that are very reasonable priced. if your just going to be here 2 years buying a place might not be needed for such a short time. but that of course is your own choice.

Last edited by fadingstarlight; Sep 3rd 2011 at 11:09 am.