Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Valencia region

Valencia region

Old Jun 21st 2011, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

licqurish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Valencia region

My husband and I are planning to move to Spain within the next 2 yrs. We have yet to decide 100% on the area. I am constantly researching the property market in Spain and have noticed that property in the Valencia region inland (Eg. Lliria) seems to be very good value for money - 3 bed villa with some land and pool at around 130,000 euros. We have not yet visited the Valencia region and have now become quite interested! Can anyone living in the Valencia region help us with some queries: What is the inland area like for living? Why are these properties so reasonably priced? Is the 'land grab' problem still a problem there - hence the low prices? Thanks for your help. Lesley
Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valencia region

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Although we live in the Valencia region we do not know Lliria at all but there are members living there or near there so hopefully they will be able to help you.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 4:50 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't want to upset the people in Lliria, or anywhere else for that matter, but poorer areas have cheaper houses, generally. The 'poorer' aspect may mean poor transport, low quality housing, inaccessibility, high crime, even bad weather conditions, and controversially, an influx of immigrants of the 'wrong' kind.

I live in such an area, which ten years ago was considered the crime capital of Spain, but is much improved now. But if my house on the outskirts of Torrevieja was moved to Denia or Javea, it would cost me four times as much. Conversely, the many facilities I enjoy would not be available to me in the north of the Costa Blanca. For example, I can walk to a large, excellent medical centre and a brand new, modern hospital is a ten minute drive away.

There are houses available in the deserts of Almeria at ridiculously low prices, and most of them are, or will be illegal.

I saw a house for sale on the coast at Guardamar, right on the beach. It was going for peanuts. However, it was built too near to the sea and has now been demolished.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

tony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura about

Hi I have lived in the Valencian region ( inland of Alicante ) for 8 years

It is a bit further south than where you intend to live,

I think important things to think about are , how far are you from the Airport, how far are you from the coast,

Also if moving to an inland mainly spanish town or village, will you be able to comunicate well enough.

I quite like to live away from the coast a bit, less crime, and you get to see Real Spanish life, but some times it can be hard if you have to deal with problems alone.

Tony
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:18 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licqurish
My husband and I are planning to move to Spain within the next 2 yrs. We have yet to decide 100% on the area. I am constantly researching the property market in Spain and have noticed that property in the Valencia region inland (Eg. Lliria) seems to be very good value for money - 3 bed villa with some land and pool at around 130,000 euros. We have not yet visited the Valencia region and have now become quite interested! Can anyone living in the Valencia region help us with some queries: What is the inland area like for living? Why are these properties so reasonably priced? Is the 'land grab' problem still a problem there - hence the low prices? Thanks for your help. Lesley
I'm always told Lliria is a Brit stronghold, however never been there
I dont hold with this "go inland to see real Spain" thing. You dont have to live very far inland at all to get away from the coast life, and it doesnt necessarily mean that you will find real Spain (whatever that is!)

There are bargains to be found everywhere if you come to look. Theres apparently over a million unsold homes in Spain so you'd have a good choice.

The Land Grab doesnt seem to rear its ugly head so much these days, but if you are going to buy here then make sure you use an independent solicitor and dont always believe what the Estate agents tell you
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:21 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I can walk to a large, excellent medical centre and a brand new, modern hospital is a ten minute drive away.
Regarding hospitals the city of Valencia has an excellent hospital with a wonderful reputation and there is also a brand new one which I understand is even better.

Denia has a new hospital, however they were unable to provide the treatment for a cancer patient that we knew and he had to travel up to the hospital in Alzira.

All areas have their pros and cons.

We sellected the area that we wanted to live in based on how many of our issues were covered and then looked for a house to suit us as people and our budget. We would not choose an area purely based on the price of housing.

Rosemary
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licqurish
Hi there. We have lived in Lliria for over a year and a half now and are very happy here.We live in the town centre now.I think prices vary because Lliria is used by agents to cover a wide area outside of the town also so you will get a campo house advertised as Lliria but it could be quite remote with limited facilities....non mains water or unmadeup road etc.We have heard nothing at all about illegal building.

Communications are very good.The cv35 takes you to the main Valencia centre in 20 mins, there are very good bus services and also the metro stops at Lliria,again a very good service.The airport is only 20 mins away also.

Lliria is a bustling town with lots of shops, cafes,supermarkets etc.We have heard of people who have never been to the centre of Valencia because everything they need is here.It is fiesta central too so any excuse for a party.

The local people are very friendly.They mostly speak in valenciano although do understand and will respond in castellano also but you will need some command of spanish.

There are english people scattered around mainly outside of the town but many keep themselves to themselves.

If you need to find a job then I doubt very much you will find one here as is the general trend at the mo.

We love it here but I guess it depends on what you are looking for really.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:40 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Hi there. We have lived in Lliria for over a year and a half now and are very happy here.We live in the town centre now.
Are there lots of Brits there, or have I just been misinformed?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm always told Lliria is a Brit stronghold, however never been there
I dont hold with this "go inland to see real Spain" thing. You dont have to live very far inland at all to get away from the coast life, and it doesnt necessarily mean that you will find real Spain (whatever that is!)

There are bargains to be found everywhere if you come to look. Theres apparently over a million unsold homes in Spain so you'd have a good choice.

The Land Grab doesnt seem to rear its ugly head so much these days, but if you are going to buy here then make sure you use an independent solicitor and dont always believe what the Estate agents tell you
Probably Lliria sees most brits on a thursday when the market is held.Other than that as far as I know there is only us and one other family who live in Lliria town.Days and days can pass without hearing another english voice.But like I said some people would want more brits around them.It depends what you are looking for.

Good luck anyway and ask if you need anymore advice.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:31 am

Probably Lliria sees most brits on a thursday when the market is held.Other than that as far as I know there is only us and one other family who live in Lliria town.Days and days can pass without hearing another english voice.But like I said some people would want more brits around them.It depends what you are looking for.

Good luck anyway and ask if you need anymore advice.
You have surprised me with this as not that many years ago we thought that there was a lot of Brits living within the town itself. Guess the job situation and the normality of people moving on has changed it there the same as other places.

As you said some would want more Brits around and some would love it as you obviously do.

Rosemary
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The homeowners in Lliber (30 minutes inland from Denia/Javea) would tend to disagree about Land Grab ...

www.auln.eu

Definitely use an independent solicitor (although how to find one is another matter)

Last edited by noelrosie; Jun 22nd 2011 at 11:44 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:50 am
Just Joined

licqurish is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all so much for you very helpful replies I now have a much better understanding of how things are in the Valencia region. We love Spain and as our budget is very limited thought that our only option would be to rent (we will do this to start with anyway - wherever we end up). I think that we will be visiting the area in the future to 'check it out'. thanks again
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:38 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the ppl I know in the Lliria area seem very content there.
As previously mentioned there are quite a few Brits in the Valencia inland area but they are generally well scattered about the countryside and I don't know of anywhere that could be described as anything like a little Britain....thankfully.

There are lots of lovely places in the small towns and villages within 30 or 40 kms to the South of Lliria, mainly close to the CV50 well worth checking out.
Many of the properties on the market are ex Valencian weekend homes or holiday homes for ppl. from Madrid and most of them seem good value for money, even by todays depressed market prices.
Mostly they are located in pretty areas, detached villas with a decent sized garden, pool and most important of all in this area a paellero.

Strangely enough quite a few of the Valencianos have built the paellero and pool first and never got around to the house, but are quite happy just enjoying what facilities they do have on their brief visits.
The big advantage for most Brits in the area is that these Spanish country weekend urbs and colonias are generally very peaceful and pleasant places, apart from possibly a few hours on Sundays.
Most of the area I mention has good communications and access to the main coastal highway as well as the main Madrid highway and Valencia itself.
As also previously mentioned the locals are mostly exceptionally friendly,helpful, kind and polite.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:11 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by noelrosie
The homeowners in Lliber (30 minutes inland from Denia/Javea) would tend to disagree about Land Grab ...

www.auln.eu

Definitely use an independent solicitor (although how to find one is another matter)
That seems to be a site about homes that have been deemed illegal. Poster was talking about the Valencia Land Grab Laws which are not the same. I wasnt saying it doesnt exist anyway

Of course there are illegal homes all over Spain, which is why your advice about independent solicitors is very important
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

We have lived in Lliria for over a year and a half now and are very happy here.We live in the town centre now.

We love it here but I guess it depends on what you are looking for really.
Precisely.

For some a town centre is a no-no for others the thought of the countryside is as bad. You must decide that first. You will get more for your money in the countryside but it may not suit you.

Lliria seems well connected to me although I am a coastal boy (Oliva) and am also in the centre rather than the countryside.

It takes all sorts but choose carefully as you can get easily seduced by low property prices and it may not be that easy to sell on if you make a mistake unlike the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.