Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Valencia fires.

Valencia fires.

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Valencia fires.

You may or may not know but Valencia city subhurbs have been suffering devastating fires for the last few days. We live where the northern fire is.

Got to give it to the bomberos for their bravery and stamina in such circumstances.

The fires are not out....massive destruction everywhere.

......and do you know what Rajoy was doing?

Watching the football.

Our beautiful green campo in many areas has mostly gone.....extra help efforts are apparently madrid volunteers.

No sign of an end yet...and no sign of extra help!

This is a disgrace.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:21 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valencia fires.

Originally Posted by paintermujer View Post
You may or may not know but Valencia city subhurbs have been suffering devastating fires for the last few days. We live where the northern fire is.

Got to give it to the bomberos for their bravery and stamina in such circumstances.

The fires are not out....massive destruction everywhere.

......and do you know what Rajoy was doing?

Watching the football.

Our beautiful green campo in many areas has mostly gone.....extra help efforts are apparently madrid volunteers.

This is a disgrace.
while I agree with all you say, (especially the Rajoy bit).......... it's not just in our area

I saw on the news this morning that atm the total area of Spain which is on fire is an area the size of the province of Ciudad Real - apparently roughly 1/20 of the country
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the country is really suffering at the moment and the recent high temps can only have helped.

Guess Im just looking closer to home.

I have genuinely been afraid for the safety of people we know in our area including dds class friends.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:33 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the country is really suffering at the moment and the recent high temps can only have helped.

Guess Im just looking closer to home.

I have genuinely been afraid for the safety of people we know in our area including dds class friends.
you must be

we were in the Jalon valley yesterday & looking around we were reminded of the many fires there ave been there over the years - you can still see damage from one which happened about 12 years ago
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

This is a disgrace.
Have you any idea how many people are involved at the moment in fighting this fire?

They have 40 planes in the air - that must be almost all of the available Spanish firefighting planes.

There are 1800 people on the ground dealing with it. 52 fire trucks (I didn't realise they had that many in Spain).

On top of that they have sent in 900 troops.

Although it is an absolute disaster I think the support that has been provided is hardly "a disgrace" - it's an example of just what they can pull together when they need to.

Incidentally the latest news is that it is becoming under control.

There is the most amazing picture of a helicopter dumping its water bucket in the papers today. http://goo.gl/ADyrY
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

I didnt say the emergency services were a disgrace. They are all being hailed heroes by all of us.

My disgrace lies with the lack of empathy from Rajoy and his merry men.While he went off to watch the football the countryside surrounding us was disappearing.These fires are larger than the colorado fires and Obama managed to get there for support.

Luckily no one has died so far.

But many thanks to all the emergency services...please dont quote me otherwise.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:08 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Much as Rajoy seems to enjoy acting the role of a buffoon, I can't see that he could have helped by being in the fire area yesterday - in fact he may have been a hindrance.
I'm sure that at some point he will praise the fire-fighters (if he hasn't already).
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes probably just getting carried away.Its quite emotional when you are living around it.

The fires around us appear to be growing again and everyone is wondering where the water bombers are.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just heard that a helicopter dropping water has crashed into a reservoir and the pilot is being looked for.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Reports that one of the fires is now out ...

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_35173.shtml
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by noelrosie View Post
Reports that one of the fires is now out ...

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_35173.shtml
These reports are wrong.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I see a pilot of a helicopter fighting the fires has died.
http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/1527...tes-de-pallas/
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 5:04 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell,this has got me worried.
Have any homes been taken out ?
Hope I still have a house to live in when I get back.
Any maps been published in the media showing the affected areas ?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 5:06 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira View Post
I see a pilot of a helicopter fighting the fires has died.
http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/1527...tes-de-pallas/
As Paintermujer said - a disgrace.

If Rajoy had been there it wouldn't have happened would it?

These guys risk their lives all the time and sometimes tragically lose their lives.

In my opinion they are a most brilliant operation and living in the campo I feel reassured that they are there when we need them which is unfortunately too often.

They are an amazing operation across the whole of Spain and should be applauded for that.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 5:28 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Found some reports relating to two affected areas, Cortes de Pallas and Andilla, fairly remote spots, Cortes especially.
Those places are a fair way from the city and the main suburbs, though not quite so far from my place, so I hope they're not spreading to rapidly eastwards with what appears to be the prevailing wind at present

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.