Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Valencia fires.

Valencia fires.

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valencia fires.

Been following this on the news, I note nothing on UK news, but the USA fires, yes.

So sorry for the devastation looks absolutely horrendous, heartfelt sympathies to those that have lost homes or property of any sort
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:02 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Much worse than I first thought,
They seem to have spread a huge distance from the more remote areas where they first started.

Some photos of my neighbouring villages on fire.

http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2012/06/...788_1341241397

Shall have to get in touch with my local pals, see if they are OK and if my place is still there.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:20 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm View Post
Been following this on the news, I note nothing on UK news, but the USA fires, yes.

So sorry for the devastation looks absolutely horrendous, heartfelt sympathies to those that have lost homes or property of any sort
Been on the mail site all day, with photos

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-control.html
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo View Post
Been on the mail site all day, with photos
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-control.html
Ah, you've spoilt it now! Plus until this afternoon nobody had lost a life in the Valencia fire, and whilst it is serious, in the States 17 had been killed, slightly more newsworthy I'd have thought.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:49 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly View Post
Much worse than I first thought,
They seem to have spread a huge distance from the more remote areas where they first started.

Some photos of my neighbouring villages on fire.

http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2012/06/...788_1341241397

Shall have to get in touch with my local pals, see if they are OK and if my place is still there.
Terrifying pictures, I hope you and your neighbours are OK. Can't you phone them?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

A second helicopter has crashed now.This is a massive scale operation and there are not enough resources here to cope. The embers are catching light again near and gathering speed with swirling winds. Lots of plane activity nearby.

The fire I am talking about is the north valencia fire in the camp de turia...the other side of the city things are much the same with the added disasters of the crashes.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 7:28 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Satty posted a stunning picture on FB yesterday, I will let him post it if he wants as its not mine to do but it really showed the intensity.... oh and it has been on the news here.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:03 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG View Post
Terrifying pictures, I hope you and your neighbours are OK. Can't you phone them?
They are ok and very relieved the situation has improved having experienced clouds of choking smoke and huge amounts of ash raining down on them from a very dark sky.

Terrible shame, some beautiful areas absolutely devastated, wildlife almost wiped out, as well as loss of farm livestock.

I dread going back to see it all, having previously enjoyed lots of time all around the lovely countryside in the affected areas.

Have to say the Spanish know what they are about with the typical all masonry,no timber houses in the area mostly coming through it ok.

There're has been a big sales push for many years with regard to Scandinavian timber houses which are much cheaper than the traditional builds.
Most Spanish have avoided them like the plague and looking at the remaining ashes of the few that were built mainly for N.Europeans,it's not hard to see why.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:11 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say the Spanish know what they are about with the typical all masonry,no timber houses in the area mostly coming through it ok.
One of the first question on an insurance policy application form is "Is there any wood in the construction of the house".

For good reason!
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

They are ok and very relieved the situation has improved having experienced clouds of choking smoke and huge amounts of ash raining down on them from a very dark sky.

Terrible shame, some beautiful areas absolutely devastated, wildlife almost wiped out, as well as loss of farm livestock.

I dread going back to see it all, having previously enjoyed lots of time all around the lovely countryside in the affected areas.

There're has been a big sales push for many years with regard to Scandinavian timber houses which are much cheaper than the traditional builds.
Most Spanish have avoided them like the plague and looking at the remaining ashes of the few that were built mainly for N.Europeans,it's not hard to see why.
It does look as if things are improving according to people that I know in the campo...our mountain views today are very hazy...but like you say the damage is done...talking of 100 years to recover to what it was like just a few days ago..Its heartbreaking.