Valencia?

Old Jul 11th 2005, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

graemestuart99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Valencia?

Hello all

I have a possible job opportunity in the British school in Valencia. Can anyone give me any info about the area, housing, crime, education, climate etc. Your help would be invaluable.

Graeme
Old Jul 11th 2005, 7:40 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valencia?

Originally Posted by graemestuart99
Hello all

I have a possible job opportunity in the British school in Valencia. Can anyone give me any info about the area, housing, crime, education, climate etc. Your help would be invaluable.

Graeme
Is it in actual Valencia or the region?

Valencia itself is a nice city that has undergone a big regeneration in recent years. The outskirts however are skuzzy, ugly and not anywhere you would want to dwell. Once you get in there the shops are great, fab night life and very much a cafe society feel to the place. The local dialect is Valenciano but it's not rigidly enforced as with Barcelona. You'll get along just fine with Castellano.

Crime across Spain is high and Valencia is no exception. You have to keep your wits about you and hang on to your bag at all times. It's sad that you have to ingore people who ask for directions, want the time etc., but you really do have to.

The climate is ok. Winter can be a bit grim and it does get more than its fair share of rain. You would definately need to hang on to your winter woolies but fortunately it's a short winter and it's not long before the scent of orange blossom starts to fill the air again.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Peejay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sibsie

The outskirts however are skuzzy, ugly and not anywhere you would want to dwell.
Depends on what you mean by outskirts really - there are good and not so good areas, just like any city. There are some very nice towns just outside Valencia that are only 20 minutes drive from the centre and are nice places to live.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sibsie

The outskirts however are skuzzy, ugly and not anywhere you would want to dwell.
Agree with Peejay, I live in the 'outskirts' and I wouldn't say it was skuzzy or ugly. How far 'out' do you mean?

BTW Sibsie perhaps the 'cafe society' is coming your way now!!
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article299064.ece

Last edited by derek500; Jul 14th 2005 at 5:08 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:45 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derek500
Agree with Peejay, I live in the 'outskirts' and I wouldn't say it was skuzzy or ugly. How far 'out' do you mean?
Arsecakes. I had a long reply that just vanished. Hate that. I meant not very far out at all. The industrial / residential area just before you hit the city proper. There are some lovely villages around but it's really not the prettiest drive in from the A7.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:49 pm
C.G.D.S

Just read your link about my town! True it's no longer a dry town but it only extends to when you're having a sit down meal in a restaurant with a special licence. As this is the most anal place on earth, I can't see it changing any time soon.