Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Electrics - Earth Cable

Electrics - Earth Cable

Old Jun 27th 2005, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

moblies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrics - Earth Cable

Just had a company in to fit the lights in our new house, As i was watching them fit the ceiling lights they were cutting the Earth cables off and throwing them? Is this normal practice in Spain
Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrics - Earth Cable

Originally Posted by moblies
Just had a company in to fit the lights in our new house, As i was watching them fit the ceiling lights they were cutting the Earth cables off and throwing them? Is this normal practice in Spain
yes, most lighting is earthed to the casing. it is usual to wire the earths, but some people dont, with the excuse "well, you are not gonna touch the light are you??" most older houses wont have an earth anywhere apart from the kitchen and bathroom..

personally i would always use earths where possible.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with what bfg69bug said however if yours is a new property you should have an electric installation covered by the latest regulations which should be earthed properly so your lights *should* have been fully wired.

Still, chances are, the electricians are that used to houses with no earth they didn't bother and just cut the earth wires off.

My local electrician did some rewiring for me and I said "let me know when you want me to turn the power off" to which he said "don't worry about that, isn't necessary".

About five minutes later there was an almighty bang, the house plunged into darkness and he was flung half way across the room!

He asked me if I was ok, then carried on

Originally Posted by moblies
Old Jun 28th 2005, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

You could look at this site it is a pdf file format

Electrical Spain

Electric kit spain

Spanish Safety

Hope these help you I have put an earth in my house as I was fed up of getting shocks from the bed side lights.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

bumble17571 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by countryboy
You could look at this site it is a pdf file format

Electrical Spain

Electric kit spain

Spanish Safety

Hope these help you I have put an earth in my house as I was fed up of getting shocks from the bed side lights.
We had some friends over from the UK last month and they used our bedroom.I forgot to tell them that the switch for one of the bedside lamps was in-line rather than in the lamp holder(which is metal!).One night they went to bed and after 5 mins there was an almighty crash from our room,I went to see what happened and my friend was holding his hand and he and his wife were laughing their heads off.Everything that was on the bedside table was on the floor! We did have a laugh about it but now I am in the process of adding earths as work progresses around the house.
I find it strange that a lamp can have a metal lamp holder and no earth.I have changed that aswell.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by bumble17571
We had some friends over from the UK last month and they used our bedroom.I forgot to tell them that the switch for one of the bedside lamps was in-line rather than in the lamp holder(which is metal!).One night they went to bed and after 5 mins there was an almighty crash from our room,I went to see what happened and my friend was holding his hand and he and his wife were laughing their heads off.Everything that was on the bedside table was on the floor! We did have a laugh about it but now I am in the process of adding earths as work progresses around the house.
I find it strange that a lamp can have a metal lamp holder and no earth.I have changed that aswell.
We have a woman that helps out with cleaning/cooking/childcare at the weekend - she doesn't like doing the dishwasher any more. The natural way to fill/empty it is to stand to one side of it, with one hand resting on the worktop. But if you touch the sink mounted in the worktop and the dishwasher at the same time you get a mild shock. I got one the other night when my leg brushed the open dishwasher as I was touching the sink. If you touch either alone, it's OK, but the shock seems to be at the sink, rather than the dishwasher.

Any ideas?
Old Jul 15th 2005, 3:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coralsoft
We have a woman that helps out with cleaning/cooking/childcare at the weekend - she doesn't like doing the dishwasher any more. The natural way to fill/empty it is to stand to one side of it, with one hand resting on the worktop. But if you touch the sink mounted in the worktop and the dishwasher at the same time you get a mild shock. I got one the other night when my leg brushed the open dishwasher as I was touching the sink. If you touch either alone, it's OK, but the shock seems to be at the sink, rather than the dishwasher.

Any ideas?
Run an earth from the steel sink to an earth terminal somewhere, maybe in the nearest socket. ( if that is earthed )

In the UK all steel sinks, radiators etc in kitchens and bathrooms have to be bonded.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

bumble17571 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Run an earth from the steel sink to an earth terminal somewhere, maybe in the nearest socket. ( if that is earthed )

In the UK all steel sinks, radiators etc in kitchens and bathrooms have to be bonded.
Or,you can do as we do and unplug or switch off the dishwasher at the socket (if your plug and socket are accessable of course).