The Vado Tax

Old Jan 26th 2013, 7:36 am
Just Joined

elraso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Vado Tax

Can anyone explain the Vado tax.
1. Is it compulsory.
2. Is it enforceable.
if i live in a house that faces a main road and have a dropped kerb can anyone fine me if i cross that dropped kerb to put my car on my drive. i realise that the Vado gives protection to anyone by the police coming with a tow truck to remove a vechicle obstructing an access way,but if you dont want it or in my case dont need it as we have no such problem.so the question i have is .Will i be liable to policia fine if i put my car on my drive?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Vado Tax

A vado is where you pay a small annual charge to the Ayuntamiento for a sign warning people not to park in front of your garage, driveway, etc.

No, they aren't compulsory. If you don't want it, tell the Ayuntamiento.

Yes, they are enforceable. If anyone parks in front of it you can ask the PL to remove the vehicle.

I don't understand why there would be a problem with parking on your own drive, vado or no vado?

Last edited by Pocaloca; Jan 26th 2013 at 8:50 am.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:55 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As it is such a small amount it is a shame that you do not wish to support your town by paying it.

Rosemary
Old Jan 26th 2013, 10:17 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elraso
Can anyone explain the Vado tax.
1. Is it compulsory.
2. Is it enforceable.
if i live in a house that faces a main road and have a dropped kerb can anyone fine me if i cross that dropped kerb to put my car on my drive. i realise that the Vado gives protection to anyone by the police coming with a tow truck to remove a vechicle obstructing an access way,but if you dont want it or in my case dont need it as we have no such problem.so the question i have is .Will i be liable to policia fine if i put my car on my drive?
I think that if you don't pay it you could be forced to pay for the removal of the dropped curb. It's a tax that you pay to have a dropped curb and ensure that no-one can park blocking your drive. There was quite a few instances of people with dropped curbs who were not paying the tax being told that they would have to pay for it to be removed while I lived in Spain. So could be more expensive to stop paying for it than to continue.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard that NO matter WHO parks over the access they can be towed/fined if a report is made, even if it is you or your visitors ? could be another urban myth of course.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 12:55 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It makes sense - how would the police know it was your car parked there?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

elraso is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your replies,regards ,small amount of money to be paid to help the town hall, Rosemary, there again there is some difference if you live in a road where you cross the kerb at the junction of the main road in order to reach your house the cost is shared by all the residents app.10 euros first year inc. plaque etc and then about 4 euros per annum,these figures depend how many residents in the road opt for it. If you live on a main road the cost is 90 euros first year and then 50 euros per annum ,i think you will agree Rosemary a big difference.apart from that my original question was ,i repeat is, will i be liable to a fine if i use my drive, if i dont want the vado.? if anyone has any knowledge of the Policia issuing a fine in these circumstances i would be most interested to hear from you.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

MaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really nice

It seems a failry common occurence here that people get a fine for parking on their drive. Various people have been told that apart from the vado stopping people parking in front of your drive, and so having the right to get them towed, its also a tax to give you permission to cross the pavement into your drive.
Fair enough (I think) but should the landlord pay it or the renter
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:47 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaryJones
It seems a failry common occurence here that people get a fine for parking on their drive. Various people have been told that apart from the vado stopping people parking in front of your drive, and so having the right to get them towed, its also a tax to give you permission to cross the pavement into your drive.
Fair enough (I think) but should the landlord pay it or the renter
Landlord, as you may not have a car, and by payment of this tax to allow you to cross the pavement you can see why, if you don't pay the tax, you may have to lose the dropped curb.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Vado Tax

Originally Posted by elraso
Thank you for your replies,regards ,small amount of money to be paid to help the town hall, Rosemary, there again there is some difference if you live in a road where you cross the kerb at the junction of the main road in order to reach your house the cost is shared by all the residents app.10 euros first year inc. plaque etc and then about 4 euros per annum,these figures depend how many residents in the road opt for it. If you live on a main road the cost is 90 euros first year and then 50 euros per annum ,i think you will agree Rosemary a big difference.apart from that my original question was ,i repeat is, will i be liable to a fine if i use my drive, if i dont want the vado.? if anyone has any knowledge of the Policia issuing a fine in these circumstances i would be most interested to hear from you.
It is exactly the same as UK and a lot cheaper initially you pay for the kerb to be dropped if it isn't and then the ongoing charge (not UK) is for the sign and continued access. If you don't pay then the council are entitled to raise the kerb and fine you if you drive on the footpath. So bumping the raised kerb and driving across the path could result in a fine. Since councils are so short of cash I would guess that if you don't pay they would embargo your account for the charge and if you ask for the sign and right to cross the footpath to be removed they will charge for the work.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

MaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really nice

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Landlord, as you may not have a car, and by payment of this tax to allow you to cross the pavement you can see why, if you don't pay the tax, you may have to lose the dropped curb.
mmmm landlords here are paying for the admin but making the renter pay the annual amount or the renter is parking on the road instead!
It does make more sense knowing that its the dropped kerb you are paying for rather than the right to enter your own drive
Old Jan 26th 2013, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
I have heard that NO matter WHO parks over the access they can be towed/fined if a report is made, even if it is you or your visitors ? could be another urban myth of course.
Yes that has happened in the village but it is possible to get a small duplicate of the vado sign that is displayed on your property and put it on the dashboard of your or friends vehicle from our local ajumiento.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Vado Tax

Originally Posted by MaryJones
It does make more sense knowing that its the dropped kerb you are paying for rather than the right to enter your own drive
You have every right to do as you are allowed inside your own boundary but you do not have right to cross the public footpath unless you have permission from the Ayuntamiento that's what you pay for on an ongoing basis.