Reload this Page >

Using a dog passport in Santander

Using a dog passport in Santander

Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

travelalot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using a dog passport in Santander

Please can anyone help

Has anyone used the ferry service to Spain and returned to UK with a dog?

I have been told if you return to UK via France your dog has to see a vet to be treated for fleas and worms and given paperwork to say fit to travel? Is this correct and are vets based at the terminals? Has Spain got the same system?

Our beloved bulldog died last year and I assured my husband I would not have another dog now we have our holiday home in Spain. 6 months later I am really missing a dog and looking for another, much to hubbys annoyance. I have agreed to have a small breed and looking at a bichon frise. The deciding factor has to be how easy I could travel with my dog as in the coming years we plan to stay out at the house for longer periods. Leaving my dog with family for the odd week is fine but not for longer and I would not introduce another into the family unless we take it to Spain. We own a house in a village not a complex so taking the dog to the house is no problem. Brittany ferries have kennels on board for the long crossing so not too concerned about that either. It is just the paperwork side I am unsure of and would appreciate any comments to help with my decision.

Thank you
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using a dog passport in Santander

Originally Posted by travelalot
I have been told if you return to UK via France your dog has to see a vet to be treated for fleas and worms and given paperwork to say fit to travel? Is this correct and are vets based at the terminals? Has Spain got the same system?
Yes, you will need to ensure that your dog receives the correct flea / tick / tapeworm treatment and has their passport stamped. I believe it's at least 24 hours but no more than 48 hours before sailing... You should be able to use your own vet as long as the timing is right, if not then Brittany Ferries maintain a list of vets near their ports:

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/pe...ontact-details

Remember that the exact details of the regulations are subject to change at any time, so DO check with DEFRA (NOT just the ferry company web site) before you travel to make absolutely sure.

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/pe...e/full-details
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:54 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

FREE BEER THREAD......
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

couchpotato has a brilliant futurecouchpotato has a brilliant futurecouchpotato has a brilliant futurecouchpotato has a brilliant futurecouchpotato has a brilliant futurecouchpotato has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by travelalot
Please can anyone help

Has anyone used the ferry service to Spain and returned to UK with a dog?

Our beloved bulldog died last year and I assured my husband I would not have another dog now we have our holiday home in Spain. 6 months later I am really missing a dog and looking for another, much to hubbys annoyance. I have agreed to have a small breed and looking at a bichon frise. The deciding factor has to be how easy I could travel with my dog as in the coming years we plan to stay out at the house for longer periods. Leaving my dog with family for the odd week is fine but not for longer and I would not introduce another into the family unless we take it to Spain. We own a house in a village not a complex so taking the dog to the house is no problem. Brittany ferries have kennels on board for the long crossing so not too concerned about that either. It is just the paperwork side I am unsure of and would appreciate any comments to help with my decision.

Thank you
The only word of warning i would offer about Bichon frise, having two myself, is that they do not shed hair and have to be hand cut every 4 to 6 weeks. Not all groomers have the skill to groom Bichon's and they can matt very easily if not dobe properly and regularly. here in the Uk they cost us £56 evry month!!!! so check out the groomers in the area you will be in before you buy.

Great pets though and wouldn't be without them.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you have the correct paperwork and passport, rabies has to be done yearly and six moths after the initial rabies injection the animal needs a blood test to confirm that the vaccination has worked, the hopefully favourable result must be written into the passport and signed by the vet.

It was very easy taking our dog into UK doe Christmas, but you may well find that most vets in Spain will post date the paperwork for you.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Make sure you have the correct paperwork and passport, rabies has to be done yearly and six moths after the initial rabies injection the animal needs a blood test to confirm that the vaccination has worked, the hopefully favourable result must be written into the passport and signed by the vet.
Wrong! Entry requires a six month period to have elapsed AFTER a positive blood test i.e. this proves that the dog/cat/ferret was at least rabies protected for a period equivalent to the quarrantine period. Your vet will advise, but the blood test is normally carried out a few weeks after the injection, you can travel six months after that blood test if the result was positive.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by twyntub
Wrong! Entry requires a six month period to have elapsed AFTER a positive blood test i.e. this proves that the dog/cat/ferret was at least rabies protected for a period equivalent to the quarrantine period. Your vet will advise, but the blood test is normally carried out a few weeks after the injection, you can travel six months after that blood test if the result was positive.
i ma at present passporting all my dogs and cats to com eto spain..
1. the dogs cats or ferrets need. a health chec, microchip and a rabies vaccine..
2. 30 days later the animal have to have a blood test if you are going to bring the animal back from spain...if you are taking the animals one way you do not need the blood test.

3. the animal need nothing else if you are taking them from the uk to spain..except for a white collar when you arrive in spain [between march and september to protect them against the leish!!!!!! something fly which can bite them at night apparently..

if you are returning the dog to the uk the dog need a ticck and flea treatment 24 - and no later than 48 hours before you travel so makes booking the santander ferry more difficult..you could always drive up to calais and keep the dog in the car with you and use the train [eurotunnel]

my informationuk side is that the rabies vaccine is valid for 3 years ...
but when you first have the animal done it cannot return to england until the vaccine has been done for 6 months..the boosters are fine with no time limits on that..so my advice is get the dog done as soon as possible before you need to use it...then 6 months may have already passed before you need it..

Remember also puppies cant have the vaccine until they arte 6 months old...I am sure this is correct...but ask your vet

HTH carole xx
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by madcarole
Remember also puppies cant have the vaccine until they are 6 months old...I am sure this is correct...but ask your vet
We had ours done at about 4 months. It depends on the vaccine that's used - couldn't be used until 2 weeks after the last puppy jabs apparently.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by twyntub
We had ours done at about 4 months. It depends on the vaccine that's used - couldn't be used until 2 weeks after the last puppy jabs apparently.
i have heard that some vets do the vaccine at 3 months but defra in the u says 6 months old..plus i wouldnt want to overload a puppies immune system especially a small breed with all thos chemicals at such an early time in their lives..

also you need to remember if it doesnt tae or the results are low..this can happen if the dogs immune system is compromised then the vaccine has to be given again and the blood test repeated so anothe wait..

carole
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by madcarole
i have heard that some vets do the vaccine at 3 months but defra in the u says 6 months old..plus i wouldnt want to overload a puppies immune system especially a small breed with all thos chemicals at such an early time in their lives..

also you need to remember if it doesnt tae or the results are low..this can happen if the dogs immune system is compromised then the vaccine has to be given again and the blood test repeated so anothe wait..

carole
Our UK vets routinely give two injections for rabies as it's as high as a 20% failure rate for a single jab in some breeds. I think they were about 2-3 weeks apart, then the blood test after. It saves time but also the cost and hassle of a 2nd blood test (our dog needed sedation for the test!!)

Clearly, the best advice comes from your own vet.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

i AM ALWAYS FASCINATED THAT the rabies vaccine and the normal puppy and yearly vaccines are the same dosage regardles of the size of dog, the breed .
perhaps someoen medical can explain that as you wouldnt give a chile and adult dosage of medicine would you??

does anyone now the reasoning behind this

carole