Reload this Page >

USB Modems and VOIP in Spain

USB Modems and VOIP in Spain

Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:59 pm
Josh in Spain

Joddle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: USB Modems and VOIP in Spain

Originally Posted by bobd22
I use a dongle when I'm in Spain without any problem it's a Masmovil sim operates on orange network I use Skype without any problems. I did bring an unlocked dongle with me from the uk and put masmovil sim in. Reasonable charges from them as well of course you must get an orange signal for it to work.
Very interesting - thanks - how much do you use skype per month and how much of your quota do you use per month - ie do you end up paying extra for mbs?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I just have the payg on auto top up which is cheapest for me as not there full time. Just been over for 2 weeks and used it quite a bit initially it was costing me 5c MB then I realised if opted into auto top up it was cheaper 3c MB (tops up 10 euro when it falls below 5 euro credit they text you when this is about to happen). I used mine quite a bit over 2 weeks made the mistake of also viewing quite a few photos on FB. I used about 19 euro's mind I was on Skype for about 40 mins a day as well plus e mails and general surfing, if I had had, had the auto top up from the start I think I would have used about 12 euro ish. Like I say I got it as a standby mainly for skype as at the minute only go over every 3 months, no contract so great for me and I don't think you can beat it for PAYG. If their all the time monthly package would be better as your initial monthly amount would be less than 3c per GB.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 7:38 pm
Josh in Spain

Joddle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobd22
I was on Skype for about 40 mins a day as well plus e mails and general surfing, if I had had, had the auto top up from the start I think I would have used about 12 euro ish. Like I say I got it as a standby mainly for skype as at the minute only go over every 3 months,
Thanks for that - sounds good - were you using video on skype or just voice? - what I really want is a cheap way to make calls between the wife and her sister when we are in the UK for 2 months this summer - she only has a mobile and the costs of using that is prohibitive as they like to gas on for at least 20 mins a day! Also may use it instead of her using her mobile to call us on our landline when in Spain and she has used up all her "free minutes".
Old Jun 17th 2011, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I used it on voice only although someone did call me with video on and it did work, but I asked them to turn camera off to save data. In future I will only use it for Skype email and general surfing when required, not photos etc to preserve balance. It works fine for that dropped a couple of times but that is due to where my house is rather than their system. As I say if you can get a decent orange signal it should be fine. One other good thing you can manage it all on line with option of different languages.