Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Urgent Moving to Gibraltar but not prepared! HELP!!

Urgent Moving to Gibraltar but not prepared! HELP!!

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

claire_dean is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Urgent Moving to Gibraltar but not prepared! HELP!!

Hello everyone it’s my second tread of the day

I am Brit and I recently got married to my Eygptian Boyfriend we both couldn’t decide or agree on where to live, so after months and months of discussions we finally made up our minds and are very keen and set on the idea of moving to Gibraltar permanently
Gibraltar is at the south part of Spain and it is under British Territory so I doubt I would feel too homesick because they have british food there yayyyy and best part is the Great Weather
Now the problem is I have absolutely no idea where to start? where do I begin and what am I suppose to do first??? hellpp mee I am just finding it all overwhelming and very stressful at the moment
Who do I need to inform of me moving to Gibraltar and what should I take with me to Gibraltar e.g passport, birth certificate or any other important documents??
How long will it take for my Husband to join me there? Will I be treated like a Gibraltarian or just a guest of the country? Will I have full rights as a Gibraltarian I meant. I’m so confused and need some serious advise so if anyone has any information pleaseeee get in touch
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:25 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Urgent Moving to Gibraltar but not prepared! HELP!!

Well make sure you pack enough of the essentials, like toilet papers and Knickers.

You`ll need all important papers such as Passport, without it your trip would be doomed.

Tell the Tax man, your family etc.

I believe your boyfriend will arrive within 4 days 11 hours and 55 seconds of your departure from the UK.

Start planning, busy busy busy.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

claire_dean is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for replying back

I'm sure they have supermarkets there for me to buy toilet paper I heard they have most of the high streets like here in London so thats cool

Oh I forgot to mention My Husband isn't British he lives in Eygpt and I met him on holiday there and we've been together for years so ive been coming and going back and forth from eygpt and its doing my nut in
how long will it take him to come and live with me there in Gibraltar do you know?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Let´s start with the weather. Gib has its own micro climate, it can be gorgeous a few miles away whereas Gib is covered in cloud. It is crowded and I would hate to live there. What are you going to do for a job? There is no work around. I don´t like being negative but I don´t think you have thought this through.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

There is one high street in Gib that is all. A small Marks, a small Next, and Top Shop but mainly cheap tobacco, alcohol and jewellery that is all. I suggest you go over for a visit and just suss it out before making any further decisions.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point

Claire - have you actually visited it even once - I mean are you seriously intending to just up sticks and move to a place you know next to nothing about apart from the fact that you can get british fish 'n' chips and the sun shines a bit?

Have you tried googling it at least? You may find info there about how long it'd take for your husband to join you

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:32 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Hey M&S, just the place to buy knickers then, so no need to travel back to London on the weekend.

Trying to find them here could be a bit of a challenge...

If only M&S expanded across the globe.

Last edited by chulo; Nov 3rd 2009 at 7:36 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome

May I suggest you read the following link as your husband is not a European national

http://www.cab.gi/start/residency-in...ermenu-28.html
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:22 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo
Hey M&S, just the place to buy knickers then, so no need to travel back to London on the weekend.

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:24 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo

Blimey - it must be my age.... M&S only recently (10 years ago or so) closed down their international stores.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:31 pm
Banned

I don`t know if this is current, but they have several franchises in Spain.

http://www2.marksandspencer.com/thec...asp?country=14
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:58 pm
around

w1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud of

Hi try this site www.gibraltar.gov.gi they may have some answers. There are many different cultures living there some have never been out of gib. There is airport n fly to the uk. You also sharing with the apes they live up the rock and can be pain the arse. Its suppose to be tax free few things are but camera n phones are very dear , its cheaper in the uk. Booze n fags can be rank n rip offs. There is a supermarket morrisons has a bar in the cafe, and it can get very busy then lorry has been in. Its very dear to rent n buy there . It can get very cold one min then roasting the next.
shops la senza , oasis, top shop, dorothy perkins, m&s, peacocks. Watch out when you buy dvds there reign 1 n 2 as there lots of yanks keep happy.
go to you-tube see clips of gib.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:11 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

there are some great places a "drive out" of gib - however, you really need to ensure that your husband can travel outside of Gib
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:18 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishwildcat
Hi try this site www.gibraltar.gov.gi they may have some answers. There are many different cultures living there some have never been out of gib. There is airport n fly to the uk. You also sharing with the apes they live up the rock and can be pain the arse. Its suppose to be tax free few things are but camera n phones are very dear , its cheaper in the uk. Booze n fags can be rank n rip offs. There is a supermarket morrisons has a bar in the cafe, and it can get very busy then lorry has been in. Its very dear to rent n buy there . It can get very cold one min then roasting the next.
shops la senza , oasis, top shop, dorothy perkins, m&s, peacocks. Watch out when you buy dvds there reign 1 n 2 as there lots of yanks keep happy.
go to you-tube see clips of gib.
You forgot to mention the UK style clouds, rain and wind. lol
Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:42 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire_dean
Thank you for replying back

I'm sure they have supermarkets there for me to buy toilet paper I heard they have most of the high streets like here in London so thats cool

Oh I forgot to mention My Husband isn't British he lives in Eygpt and I met him on holiday there and we've been together for years so ive been coming and going back and forth from eygpt and its doing my nut in
how long will it take him to come and live with me there in Gibraltar do you know?
So, you've married an Egyptian who lives in Egypt and are travelling back and forth to Egypt to be together. Isn't it an option for you to live in his country?

Or for him to live in the UK with you, at least until you've made a sensible decision about where to live together?

You've given superficial reasons for choosing Gibraltar. What do you both do for a living? Are there job opportunities in Gibraltar for you both?

I know nothing about Visas from Arab countries, but it seems to me that the first thing to do is get your OH to obtain an exit Visa, if possible to cover the whole of the EU. While he's acquiring one which will allow him to reside in the UK and anywhere in the EU, you should sort out how you're both going to make a living wherever you decide to live. Post again with info on your respective professions and some one will tell you whether you've got a chance of getting jobs. IMHO that's more important than asking how long you'll have to wait for your OH to join you (which no one can answer, anyway...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.