Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

University in Spain?

University in Spain?

Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: University in Spain?

Originally Posted by Veleta
Why only a year? Which courses are only 1 year long?
My daughter is doing a degree in Hispanic Studies with English at Kings College in London. It is a 4 year degree and she spent last year at University in Sevilla - a 'year abroad'. In common with Jackytoo she was distinctly unimpressed by her experience at Sevilla University and felt it compared very unfavourably with Kings College (which in the UK is one of the Russell Group Universities, known for the high standards of their degree courses).

All lectures were given in Spanish (to be expected) and work and exams marked with no allowance given for Spanish not being the main language of the entrant. Unless the OP is really fluent in Spanish (and I do mean fluent, not just able to carry on a conversation, read the newspaper etc), he might do better IMHO to take a degree course at an English university (even if he chooses to do a degree incorporating some element of Spanish) than find his marks reflect the fact that his lexicon is almost certainly below that of all his Spanish classmates?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noelrosie
My daughter is doing a degree in Hispanic Studies with English at Kings College in London. It is a 4 year degree and she spent last year at University in Sevilla - a 'year abroad'. In common with Jackytoo she was distinctly unimpressed by her experience at Sevilla University and felt it compared very unfavourably with Kings College (which in the UK is one of the Russell Group Universities, known for the high standards of their degree courses).

All lectures were given in Spanish (to be expected) and work and exams marked with no allowance given for Spanish not being the main language of the entrant. Unless the OP is really fluent in Spanish (and I do mean fluent, not just able to carry on a conversation, read the newspaper etc), he might do better IMHO to take a degree course at an English university (even if he chooses to do a degree incorporating some element of Spanish) than find his marks reflect the fact that his lexicon is almost certainly below that of all his Spanish classmates?
To be fair, the Spanish students who do an erasmus year in the UK take the same courses and exams as the British students in English for that year. So what's the difference?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cricketman
To be fair, the Spanish students who do an erasmus year in the UK take the same courses and exams as the British students in English for that year. So what's the difference?
I don't see that there is any difference, and that is not the point I was trying to make.

I believe, based on my daughter's experience, that it would be more difficult for a non-native speaker to gain a good degree from a Spanish University. He would not be starting from a level playing-field. My daughter has obtained significantly higher marks for the years of study she has completed in the UK (as opposed to that one 'year abroad') and even in UK at least 50% of her course is in Spanish and marked by Spanish tutors!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noelrosie
I don't see that there is any difference, and that is not the point I was trying to make.

I believe, based on my daughter's experience, that it would be more difficult for a non-native speaker to gain a good degree from a Spanish University. He would not be starting from a level playing-field. My daughter has obtained significantly higher marks for the years of study she has completed in the UK (as opposed to that one 'year abroad') and even in UK at least 50% of her course is in Spanish and marked by Spanish tutors!
Yes I agree, as I said before the Spanish people I know who did part of their degree in Spain and the UK said the course was more difficult in Spain.

On the positive side, if a non-native Spanish speaker manages to get a good degree in Spain it is quite an achievement and will look good for employees in both the UK and Spain.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
What do you want me to do, lie?
Just try and be objective. You're so biased it isn't true, but if I look at an independent, impartial list of top 100 universities, http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...s/2009/results
there are about 18 British Universities and absolutely no Spanish universities. Now that tells me that generally UK universities are much higher regarded than Spanish ones. Maybe not by you, but then the experts have probably got it all wrong anyway.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by agoreira
Just try and be objective. You're so biased it isn't true, but if I look at an independent, impartial list of top 100 universities, http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...s/2009/results
there are about 18 British Universities and absolutely no Spanish universities. Now that tells me that generally UK universities are much higher regarded than Spanish ones. Maybe not by you, but then the experts have probably got it all wrong anyway.
You obviously dont bother reading my posts properly.

I already agreed that Spanish unis are not well regarded internationally. Mainly down to the poor research funding and too many students to teacher ratio.

The only points I was making are 1. Spanish degrees are difficult and 2. If you are British a Spanish degree would look good to a UK employer because it is something out of the ordinary and shows you've got initiative and are intelligent

Chr**t, I spent 6 months out after my degree to come to Spain and learn Spanish and that helped me no-end to get a job in London. It was a major talking point at interviews. And the employers didnt care whether I spoke Spanish they just like young people who have a get-up-and-go attitude.

Maybe I should add that some people I know with Spanish degrees have been given excellent jobs in the UK, Spain and the US earning 50k plus. While others are shop assistents at Springfield. So make of that whatever you like.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:41 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Noelrosie wasn't saying that her daughter's course in Spain was more difficult than the UK part. She pointed out that is is difficult being on the same course as a native speaker with no support for people from other countries. I found a lack of resources too. When the Spanish came to the UK on the same course they had mentors and a gradual introduction into a different system and access to more resources.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Noelrosie wasn't saying that her daughter's course in Spain was more difficult than the UK part. She pointed out that is is difficult being on the same course as a native speaker with no support for people from other countries. I found a lack of resources too. When the Spanish came to the UK on the same course they had mentors and a gradual introduction into a different system and access to more resources.
Yes I am sure that is true.

I believe different unis in Spain have a different approach. Some give foreigners on the erasmus year completely different courses to the Spanish students - and even some in English as they recognise that few will have a high-enough level of Spanish.

Plus, there is a difference in expectations as you say. In Spanish essays you should never write your opinion but stick to your sources rigidly, while in the UK you have more freedom to give your own theories and opinions.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

laisaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Excuse me for interrupting an excellent batting back and forth... just to add that I cannot get my UK degree homologated in Spain. This may all have changed under the new Bologna principles (it was supposed to, but I don't know if in reality it has), but it is certainly important if you want to stay in Spain and work in public sector.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:19 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the OPs original question for a moment,

Apparently a Consulting company and the "so called" Marbella University are located at the same address of Centro Plaza, Nueva Andalucia Marbella. I dont think either is particularly successful at the moment as it seems they have to share an office. So if its the same one, I dont think its a university in the way you're thinking, more of a money making operation?????

Jo xxxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Mar 26th 2010 at 10:21 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 9:35 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Jo I think the same. Don't know if it's the same outfit but one opened about 8 years ago too in a different part of Marbella and sunk without a trace! May as well buy a degree online as waste time with them.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

From the Marbella Uni site: A word from the president

In Somnis Veritas – The Truth is in Dreams:
Ok, so a good quote,but from a university?
“During the last 35 years I have had more than 10,000 dreams about the state of humanity and the earth, the hidden realities in politics and economy, the reality behind the façades of religions and spiritual institutions, as well as about the future development of humanity. I have also had more than 2,000 dreams about God, the Spirit, the transcendental world of the souls, the genuine and vivid source of the true religion and spirituality, the authentic spiritual and religious vocations, all the Archetypes of the Soul with their inner processes up to the highest aim given since ever and forever, and the collective unconscious world – much more dreams than one can find in all Holy Books together. Therefore, you can be sure, I have the knowledge, the sources, the tools, the personality quality, and especially the corresponding vocation to lead humanity towards a good future, to prepare students for the future challenges as leaders of humans, and to give the right advice to the leaders in politics, religion, economy, and education!”

Blimey!
Old Mar 28th 2010, 7:38 pm
Banned

Sounds like another marbella scam
Old Mar 28th 2010, 7:43 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Timeshare Doctorate Degrees.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:04 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I have reasons to believe that the same chap who ran a Spanish forum that recently started trying to charge posters and convert them to a strange cult type thing also co-runs the Marbella university!!!!!!!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659794

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.