Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

University in Spain?

University in Spain?

Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:09 am
Banned

p-balenciaga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default University in Spain?

I'm currently living with my brother right now in Marbella, been here a few weeks and I just found out that Marbella opened up a University last year.

I'm really interested in studying there, but I can't afford the fees right off the bat right now, as a EU Citizen does anyone know if I am allowed Financial Aid, back in the UK I would be granted a grant or a loan, is the same for Spain or not? I emailed the University but they didn't respond to the question.

All I know is that it is a Private University.

Can anyone help?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University in Spain?

Originally Posted by p-balenciaga
I'm currently living with my brother right now in Marbella, been here a few weeks and I just found out that Marbella opened up a University last year.
I'm really interested in studying there, but I can't afford the fees right off the bat right now, as a EU Citizen does anyone know if I am allowed Financial Aid, back in the UK I would be granted a grant or a loan, is the same for Spain or not? I emailed the University but they didn't respond to the question.
Can anyone help?
Short answer no, can't help, sorry.... however if I were keen enough on a place to email & didn't get a reply I'd start thinking twice/carefully about them and their efficiency/systems etc. I'd email, ring, write & make your judgements about the place before even worrying about finance. (of course, to be generous, your email may have gone astray)
Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

So this is a private university in Marbella with classes in English? Don't waste your money here. I doubt this place has any sort of academic accredition or anything like that. It looks like it is purely designed to extract money from unsuspecting foreign students, i.e. rich Arabs and the like who don't have the qualifications to get into proper universities but want to say that they studied abroad.

If you want to study, the University in Malaga has a good reputation. It will cost you a lot less and you will get a decent education.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:38 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
So this is a private university in Marbella with classes in English? Don't waste your money here. I doubt this place has any sort of academic accredition or anything like that. It looks like it is purely designed to extract money from unsuspecting foreign students, i.e. rich Arabs and the like who don't have the qualifications to get into proper universities but want to say that they studied abroad.

If you want to study, the University in Malaga has a good reputation. It will cost you a lot less and you will get a decent education.
my thoughts too

theough it seems there might be opportunities for sponsorship
Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lynnxa
my thoughts too

theough it seems there might be opportunities for sponsorship
Yes, I found the site, but I didn't want to link to it because this university looks very scammy to me.

They have used a $30 template that you can buy off the internet to create their website. That about says it all.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
If you want to study, the University in Malaga has a good reputation..
Locally maybe. In world rankings the first Spanish university appears at position 150, Sevilla.
http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/6283...sidades/mundo/
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Locally maybe. In world rankings the first Spanish university appears at position 150, Sevilla.
http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/6283...sidades/mundo/
Spanish unis arent the best in the world because they dont have the funding necessary to do world class research (bar one or two).

But the teaching is pretty good and a degree from a good uni in Spain is roughly worth the same to employers as a degree from a good uni in the UK.

Plus going to a Spanish uni is much much cheaper than going to one in the UK. Of course you will need to speak fluent Spanish and the downside is a degree is 5 years in Spain rather than 3 years in the UK.

The Spanish people I know who did half their degree in Spain and the other half in the Uk said the UK courses were way easier, in Spain you have a lot of hours of classes and they make you learn and remember a lot for the exams.

Of course you'll need to meet the entry criteria. This depends on how popular the course is. The most popular courses have the highest entry criteria.

Regarding the private uni in Marbella, I wouldnt waste my time and money on that.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by p-balenciaga

Can anyone help?
As has been said, you would need to speak fluent spanish. If you don't then don't bother, if you do then it won't be hard for you to find the information out a lot easier than here.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

The Spanish people I know who did half their degree in Spain and the other half in the Uk said the UK courses were way easier, in Spain you have a lot of hours of classes and they make you learn and remember a lot for the exams.
Fair do's, you never disappoint! I had money on you to answer as such.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Fair do's, you never disappoint! I had money on you to answer as such.
What do you want me to do, lie?

In Spain, for some courses, around 30% of students fail their year. For example an engineering degree is 7 years long, but many students take 10 years to complete it because it is very difficult to complete the course and not fail a year or two. In the UK hardly anyone fails their year, they just get a low grade instead.

It's nothing to be proud of. A UK degree from a red brick uni is easier, cheaper and many ways better. But thanks to the current UK government, it also can be very expensive.

Employers will recognise a degree from most unis in Europe as long as it was in a serious subject. In fact, if you are British and you get a Spanish degree, British employers would be very impressed as it shows you are intelligent, adventurous and dont always take the easy option.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:29 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I spent a year at sevilla uni and wasn't impressed. Though I had a great time
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I spent a year at sevilla uni and wasn't impressed. Though I had a great time
Why only a year? Which courses are only 1 year long?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Generally speaking the private universities are full of students who failed their selectividad exam and were refused entry into the public universities.

The only entry requirement for a private university is money.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:04 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
Why only a year? Which courses are only 1 year long?
an exchange year?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:18 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
an exchange year?
More or less. I did a UK degree, business studies with a language. One year at Spanish uni including 3 months work experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.