Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Unemployment and Welfare in Spain

Unemployment and Welfare in Spain

Old Jul 12th 2008, 8:28 am
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice
Default Unemployment and Welfare in Spain

I know this isn't a topic most people like to talk about, but I've noticed even here a trickle (and soon to be a flood) of people leaving Spain and returning to the UK having run out of money and options.

But what if you want to stay in Spain. Any idea how unemployment or welfare works. And more importantly how much do you get.

Like many others my Wife found out the other day that there is a real chance that she will be joining the unemployment line (thankfully not soon) and we're loath to leave Spain, if for no other reason that the cost of living is still lower here than else where.

But to plan we need to know what to expect when the pay cheques run out.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 8:29 am
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice
Default Re: Unemployment and Welfare in Spain

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
I know this isn't a topic most people like to talk about, but I've noticed even here a trickle (and soon to be a flood) of people leaving Spain and returning to the UK having run out of money and options.

But what if you want to stay in Spain. Any idea how unemployment or welfare works. And more importantly how much do you get.

Like many others my Wife found out the other day that there is a real chance that she will be joining the unemployment line (thankfully not soon) and we're loath to leave Spain, if for no other reason that the cost of living is still lower here than else where.

But to plan we need to know what to expect when the pay cheques run out.
Another question along the same lines. If you broke and can't pay the rent what are you rights. Can the landlord throw you out on the street?

If you know the rules can you really screw the landlord by never paying rent

Let me add that I'm a landlord as well (not in Spain) so I don't ask those questions lightly

thanks Rob in Madrid
Old Jul 12th 2008, 8:57 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

For definitive info re unemployment benefit all you need to know is on the INEM website.
http://www.inem.es/inem/ciudadano/pr...nes/index.html
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:00 am
Rob in Madrid

thanks, ah kinda noticed it wasn't in English

but I take a look and see what I can figure out
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:07 am
Rob in Madrid

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
For definitive info re unemployment benefit all you need to know is on the INEM website.
http://www.inem.es/inem/ciudadano/pr...nes/index.html
quick google search brought up some English information on how to apply but not how much or how long you get it.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:33 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

How to apply is all contained in the INEM site. How much and for how long and the conditions you need to fulfil are all here
http://www.inem.es/inem/ciudadano/pr..._duracion.html
It is calculated depending on your employment/unemployment history over the 6yrs prior to becoming unemployed and also depends on whether or not you have children.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 1:50 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

How to apply is all contained in the INEM site. How much and for how long and the conditions you need to fulfil are all here
It is calculated depending on your employment/unemployment history over the 6yrs prior to becoming unemployed and also depends on whether or not you have children.
I know that when my Spanish friend who is 26 and single was unemployed for about 4 months last year she received no help at all.

Rosemary
Old Jul 12th 2008, 6:36 pm
Rob in Madrid

Thanks, I figure my Wife will be eligible for between 240 and 300 days. It looks like you earn between 484 and 1356 euros a month.