Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Unemployment benefit from UK when looking for a job in Spain?

Unemployment benefit from UK when looking for a job in Spain?

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:47 am
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Unemployment benefit from UK when looking for a job in Spain?

I never stated the UK govt received more than it put in directly.

There is businesses trading within the EU etc etc.

OMG

Get off my intellectual ability, I`m at the same level as Brown.

You forgot to mention the other countries.

So why we in the EU then, if its so bad, oh yes its because the UK plc is run by numpties.

Last edited by chulo; Nov 23rd 2009 at 7:50 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
The elderly and retired should be looked after after all the years they've worked and payed tax.
IMHO what people paid in the past, is irrelevant. As I have said before, whilst they were paying in UK, they were covered for everything, I fail to see why people should be claiming for something they paid in years ago. With all insurance schemes, whilst you are paying it, you are covered, the day you stop, you ain't! When I read of people that left UK 10,20 years ago, tell us they paid into the system for 20 years and expect to continue receiving benefits for the rest of their life. I'm more concerned with people living in UK, not those that turned their backs on UK, don't spend any money here, moved abroad for a "better life" but still expect the UK to support their chosen life style. I'm sure someone will now tell me they are paying a few pence tax on their UK pension.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:59 am
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Whats your take on husbands who commute to the UK for work, leaving there families in Spain and receiving around £400 on average in Working tax and child credits then ?
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo
So why we in the EU then
God knows, but I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting nothing to do with the place. There's even more fiddling going on there than Westminster, one big gravy train.
In the European Court of Human Rights,we have judges from the likes of Turkey, Romania, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Moldova, Albania, Georgia etc making decisions on our human rights! If it wasn't so serious, it would be laughable.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:18 am
Banned

I aimed the above question at you.

My support comes from my business, I trade with other businesses in Spain and import from China as well.

Had the UK not been in the EU I would not be in my current situation and many living in Spain would not either.

The EU is like any other business, it has its ups and downs, also you cannot expect over night success.

There will be developments in time, in 30 yrs we can make a judgement, but as with all issues there will be winners and losers.

Current support for and against the EU tends to come from sources seeking to improve there own political advance, it cannot be relied upon for factual evidence.

Its impossible to state the UK would have been better without the EU, that statement is based purely on opinion.

And most with that opinion have written books and received financial support, so it`s not indicative of anything other than financial gain of the author.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:19 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Whats your take on husbands who commute to the UK for work, leaving there families in Spain and receiving around £400 on average in Working tax and child credits then ?
Like me??!! 400???? is that a month or a year???? We're not eligible for tax credits cos we dont live in the UK and its not only based on what ammount of money is earned but about out goings too and cos our outgoings are not registered in the UK, then we cant use them. But my children are eligible for child allowance because their father pays into the system that pays it! If it stopped cos we dont live there or my husband stopped working in the UK, then we'd stop claiming it!

Jo xx
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If the family is resident in Spain, I don't see any difference to a Pole working in UK with his family back in Poland. Whilst it seems they can legally get it, I'm not in favour of it. It seems to me just one of the many ways in which the whole system is unfair, there is no way I could reverse the situation and get Spain to pay me that amount if I was working there with my family back in UK. If the system can be used, it will be, and I suppose you can't blame them for playing the system.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:21 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I aimed the above question at you.

My support comes from my business, I trade with other businesses in Spain and import from China as well.

Had the UK not been in the EU I would not be in my current situation and many living in Spain would not either.

The EU is like any other business, it has its ups and downs, also you cannot expect over night success.

There will be developments in time, in 30 yrs we can make a judgement, but as with all issues there will be winners and losers.

Current support for and against the EU tends to come from sources seeking to improve there own political advance, it cannot be relied upon for factual evidence.

Its impossible to state the UK would have been better without the EU, that statement is based purely on opinion.

And most with that opinion have written books and received financial support, so it`s not indicative of anything other than financial gain of the author.
So if we need the EU to be able to trade with other EU countries, how come we've always had european goods imported into Britain?? Couldnt we have just simplified any red tape that they may have been beforehand???

Jo xxx
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:30 am
Banned

Trade was always possible, but there was restrictions and unfair competition.

I`m not getting at any one individual JOJOJOJOJOJJOJJJOJOJOJOJOJ I have no idea what you claim and as I support the system claim all you want.

I just don`t understand that JSA people get such a stigma attached to them without knowing there situation, yet the people condemning claim other benefits.

I also am aware that other countries have similar situations, the UK is not alone, the UK media prefers to slam the UK.

We are an island and it is too common for people to forget we are no longer operating as an individual country, other member states have just as many issues as the UK regarding the EU.

But as a whole it works.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Overnight???? We joined what was then the EEC in 1973, that's 36 years ago, how long do you expect the system to bed in? Countries like Norway and Switzerland which are not in the EU hardly seem to be struggling, they still trade freely amongst EU countries and still get to make all their own laws.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:42 am
Banned

Trade was always possible, but there was restrictions and unfair competition.

I`m not getting at any one individual JOJOJOJOJOJJOJJJOJOJOJOJOJ I have no idea what you claim and as I support the system claim all you want.

I just don`t understand that JSA people get such a stigma attached to them without knowing there situation, yet the people condemning claim other benefits.

I also am aware that other countries have similar situations, the UK is not alone, the UK media prefers to slam the UK.

We are an island and it is too common for people to forget we are no longer operating as an individual country, other member states have just as many issues as the UK regarding the EU.

But as a whole it works.

I didnt think for one minute you were getting at me LOL and its doesnt matter if you were anyway!! Hey, and you only need use one "JO", I just got my finger stuck on the button when I joined the forum!! As I said I only claim because we pay into the system in the UK and cos we can. I dont think its right that everyone who's on job seekers allowance shyould be able to go to other countries and claim a UK benefit - especially when these other countries haver mass unemployment as well. I doubt their intentions would be simply a desperate bid to gain employment!!? And IMO thats what riles people.

The European Union, may or may not be a good idea for trade, but each country is individual, different climates, different needs, different people, different attitudes and infrastructures, levels of wealth..... you cant lump them all together and make them all the same in one or even two generations. Its something thats gonna take one hellova lot of time and planning - its being rushed and thats why its not working (cos it isnt)!

Jo xxxx
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
Overnight???? We joined what was then the EEC in 1973, that's 36 years ago, how long do you expect the system to bed in?
Different system and regulation, plus the EU is a constantly changing entity as any other business it reacts to change.

Countries like Norway and Switzerland which are not in the EU hardly seem to be struggling, they still trade freely amongst EU countries and still get to make all their own laws.
The UK have similar rights to Norway, the Swiss within the EU, there both EFTA members, the UK is a EU customs member.

Through the EEA Agreement Norway is part of an integrated European labour market. The rules cover free movement of workers, mutual recognition of diplomas, social security, health and safety at work, labour law and equal treatment of women and men. The European Employment Strategy is not part of the EEA Agreement.

There pretty much in the EU there politicians just sold it differently.

The Norwegian and the Swiss federal governments continue to favour EU membership. But the Norwegian people rejected EU membership in referendums in 1972 and 1994. In 1992 the Swiss people even rejected the EEA Agreement (an option the Norwegian people were not given). In March 2001 a referendum proposal to begin negotiations to join the EU was rejected by 77 per cent of Swiss voters. Norway and Switzerland, as well as Mexico, offer clear evidence that viable alternatives to EU membership exist. The UK's negotiating leverage with the EU is much stronger than that of any of these countries.

Both Norway and the Swiss are Europe`s riches countries per head of population and both trade heavily within the EU.

Norways population is only 4.5 million, the Swiss is 7.1 million compared to the UK of 58 million.

Norway exports to the EU 74% and the Swiss export 61%, compared to the UK at 53%.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
I dont think its right that everyone who's on job seekers allowance shyould be able to go to other countries and claim a UK benefit - especially when these other countries haver mass unemployment as well. I doubt their intentions would be simply a desperate bid to gain employment!!? And IMO thats what riles people.
Even though they pay into the system.

Why then should an O.A.P be given winter fuel benefit designed to support high bills and cold weather in the UK, still be paid whilst living in Spain ?

I don`t see the logic, to me there both a benefit claimed externally of the UK by people who paid into the system, I guess that is how the law views them.

The European Union, may or may not be a good idea for trade, but each country is individual, different climates, different needs, different people, different attitudes and infrastructures, levels of wealth..... you cant lump them all together and make them all the same in one or even two generations. Its something thats gonna take one hellova lot of time and planning - its being rushed and thats why its not working (cos it isnt)!

Jo xxxx
What sign would you want to show you that the EU is working then.

Its a hugely complicated issue and there will be winners and losers.

You cannot please everybody, in fact you`d be hard pressed to please 1%, but at least your not in Africa, SE Asia.

So its not all bad.

I would suggest though that you measure the success on how many members of your family have survived.

Many countries would love to be able to have an overdraft, debt and a home to live in, many measure there luck in terms of surviving that day along with there family.

Last edited by chulo; Nov 23rd 2009 at 12:12 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
A PREGNANT woman who already has 13 children says she won't stop having babies until she has given birth to twins.

Sara Foss, of Derby, plans to start trying to conceive again after she's had her 14th child, due in April.

Sara and long-term partner Stephen Smith, who works as a canal boat builder, receive more than £4,200 in tax credits and family allowance each month.

They live with 12 of their children in a three-bedroomed council house.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/ne...l/article.html
What that has to do with somebodies legitimate claim for JSA is beyond me.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:31 pm
Banned

Many countries would love to be able to have an overdraft, debt and a home to live in, many measure there luck in terms of surviving that day along with there family.
I know, 2 thirds of the worlds population havent even got enough to eat, well thats a whole separate issue that one little forum alone can sort out - in fact no one can sort out! Not even the EU. They're not the ones who saved us. As for debt and overdrafts - well I havent got any, the country has and always will have I suppose!?

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.