Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Under the radar? Be afraid, (some) be VERY afraid!

Under the radar? Be afraid, (some) be VERY afraid!

Old Apr 8th 2021, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

hughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Under the radar? Be afraid, (some) be VERY afraid!

A veces, voy paseando por la calle y noto que aún hay personas que me miran despectivamente por el hecho de no sentirse identificadas conmigo, situaciones tan cotidianas como estar en el transporte público y ver como alguien esconde el bolso sin motivo alguno. Llegados a este punto, mi comunidad y yo nos preguntamos: ¿habéis visto muchos policías negros en la calle? ¿Médicos? ¿Políticos? ¿Profesores? ¿Abogados? ¿Jueces? El problema es que aún no se ha llegado a normalizar esa igualdad tan deseada por nuestra parte.

Aunque en este caso me esté centrando en la comunidad negra, lo mismo sucede con el resto de inmigrantes que residen este país. Personas que tienen estudios, ciclos formativos… pero que muchas veces no tienen las mismas oportunidades

The above asks where are the black police, teachers, lawyers judges etc. Then it states although it happens in the black community, it also applies to other immigrant groups that live in Spain.

What I find incredible is that, some feel the need to bash the British record on racism (I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but we do have the Rishi's and Pritti's with prominent positions.) And don't see that things are far worse in their adopted country.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hughandi
It seems unbelievable that the UK is being highlighted for its negative treatment of 'outsiders' in comparison with Spain.

I wonder how many members have ever seen a 'black' or even a 'non white' person in any sort of civil service job.
Moroccan people have been here for generations yet hardly any hold positions of responsibilty.
Someone mentioned the treatment or mistreatment of traveller/gypsies........Spain does not score well on that point either.

Look around at how many non white people are on spanish TV, politicians, actors, presenters, news and and current affairs etc.
They are as rare as double yolked eggs.

The UK may treat outsiders differently, but Spain cannot be held up as a good example of good treatment at all.

Treatment of 'outsiders/ minorities in the UK has progressed, the same cannot be said of Spain.
The fate of the Spanish Muslims in the late Medieval and early modern period uncovers what might be considered as the first serious act of 'ethnic cleansing' in all of European history. They were to be the victims of a state policy that had as many racist as religious overtones.

The surrender of Granada in 1492 was accompanied by a treaty, allowing the Spanish crown's new Muslim subjects a large measure of religious toleration. They were also allowed the continuing use of their own language, schools, laws and customs. But the interpretation of the royal edict was largely left to the local Christian authorities. Hernando de Talavera, the first archbishop of Granada after its fall, took a fairly tolerant view.

This changed when he was replaced by Cardinal Cisneros, who immediately organised a drive for mass conversions and burned all texts in Arabic. Outraged by this breach of faith, in 1499 the Mudejar rose in the First Rebellion of Alpujarras, which only had the effect of giving Ferdinand and Isabella the excuse to revoke the promise of toleration. That same year the Muslim leaders of Granada were ordered to hand over almost all of the remaining books in Arabic, most of which were burned. Beginning in Valencia in 1502 Muslims were offered the choice of baptism or exile.

After the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, Gibraltar came under the rule of the Kingdom of Great Britain, which made the area a British dependency. In the Treaty, the Spanish added the following clause barring Jews and Moors from the city:
Her Britannic Majesty, at the request of the Catholic King, does consent and agree that no leave shall be given, under any pretext whatsoever, either to Jews or Moors to reside or have their dwellings in the said town of Gibraltar.
However, the British ignored this provision.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get where this is going the colour of someones skin has nothing to do with this thread. I am sure there will be some non white British citizens that live in Spain both legally or under the radar. I don't see how expressing an opinion on the rights and wrongs of EU law and its application should mean anyone gets labled as holding racist views.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 8:12 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed - back on topic please.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
If you live in the UK regardless on what race you are. You are very very lucky. Even the slums on Manchester look like heaven in comparison to the ghettos of Spain and France.
If the UK is so wonderful, why are you leaving and obtaining an Irish passport to bypass all the Brexit nasties?
Old Apr 8th 2021, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
If the UK is so wonderful, why are you leaving and obtaining an Irish passport to bypass all the Brexit nasties?
Why not. I have lived and traveled to many worse off countries than the UK. To me in comparison the UK is a wonderful place to live. Yes you get hot weather elsewhere but your opportunities are limited in comparison.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
Why not. I have lived and traveled to many worse off countries than the UK. To me in comparison the UK is a wonderful place to live. Yes you get hot weather elsewhere but your opportunities are limited in comparison.
​​​​​​What opportunities are limited in the EU compared to the UK other than by having to learn a language? Maybe in some of the old Soviet countries as they come into the modern world . Genuine question it doesn't affect me I moved to Spain as a retiree but I don't myself see any limited opportunities.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

hughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
​​​​​​What opportunities are limited in the EU compared to the UK other than by having to learn a language? Maybe in some of the old Soviet countries as they come into the modern world . Genuine question it doesn't affect me I moved to Spain as a retiree but I don't myself see any limited opportunities.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/24/spanish-nurses-job-nhs-health

https://english.elpais.com/elpais/2012/03/27/inenglish/1332861843_529536.html

This will explain why there are more opportunities in the UK for the native Spanish population, never mind expats.

The 'oppositions' will never be abolished because they are a huge money spinner for the each private academy, and enrolment fees to sit the exams.
Thousands of hopefuls sit exams to be lowly paid functionaries, pay years of private tuition fee, to compete for a few dozen jobs.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
No there are big wage differences between the UK and Spain. People on benefits and part time work , minimum wage can earn more than a Spanish person in full time employment.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The scenario of trying to get a local authority job was also the case in the North East of England until fairly recently. Work opportunities are far from evenly spread in the uk some areas still have extremely limited employment opportunities. In these areas as you mention NHS is one of the main employers given they have a huge workforce. As you say many NHS positions have been filled by people from the EU and elsewhere. What that situation will be like after covid and with Brexit and immigration changes who knows I suppose we must wait and see.
I Don't know the figures but would guess most expats in Spain are retirees or early retirees followed by those that move here to set up a business probably tourism related and some who simply come to get by on a wing and a prayer.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 10:06 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Closing the thread as it has continued to wander off topic.

Rosemary