Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate Satellite Internet Thread? (I hope)

The Ultimate Satellite Internet Thread? (I hope)

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Ultimate Satellite Internet Thread? (I hope)

Ok my enquiries left right and centre are coming up with answers designed to confuse as much as inform........
If someone (me) has no landline, no line of sight to any repeater aerial and has had their property checked on previous occasions for internet signal, WHICH satellite internet provider currently - that's as of when you post, as they clearly change by the day - offers the best deal?
Anyone?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ultimate Satellite Internet Thread? (I hope)

Try Tooway Bentley Walker.

Price depends on what usage you are going to make of it and also DIY install or professional. There is even an unlimited offering BUt it seems to only be unlimited during the night!

Eurona/tooway/Correos are doing mail shots now into Buzons with their version. Still uses Tooway.

Both google'able for prices.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
Try Tooway Bentley Walker.

Price depends on what usage you are going to make of it and also DIY install or professional. There is even an unlimited offering BUt it seems to only be unlimited during the night!

Eurona/tooway/Correos are doing mail shots now into Buzons with their version. Still uses Tooway.

Both google'able for prices.
Yep, I've seen/heard Eurona are mailshotting if such a word exists, and I've googled Tooway and heard of Telitec but they all seem to ramp up the charges phenomenally to give anything like 'proper' coverage. But you say they all use Tooway?

Last edited by fionamw; Apr 23rd 2013 at 2:24 pm. Reason: I hate it when I spell a word incorrectly!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute

We use Tooway,with Bently Walker the medium package kids are on the internet non stop. .Use skype most days as well. Switching to using, skype, and a satellite phone has saved us about 150 euros a month as my husband works away. Tried various dongle options but had no coverage, I was concerned that we would exceed our monthly usage but most of the time we are no where near our limit so I can treat my self to some BBC iplayer time when the kids are in bed.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:08 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I did a quick google and came up with http://espana-wifi.com/
have no idea how good or bad, pricey or cheap they are

they seem to have bigger operation in Italy so perhaps someone over on the BE Italy forum will know of them

hope this helps
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:29 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

No WIMAX in your area? Are you sure? It's far more reliable than a landline and cheaper, and far faster and more responsive than Satellite or Mobile networks.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:08 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
No WIMAX in your area? Are you sure? It's far more reliable than a landline and cheaper, and far faster and more responsive than Satellite or Mobile networks.
.... but it only works if you have line-of-sight to a mast.

Lots of places around here are surrounded by mountains so can't get it. It may be the same for others.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:12 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

Lots of places around here are surrounded by mountains so can't get it. It may be the same for others.
Yes, like here - but they have antennas on top of the mountains. It may be worth checking.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute

Wi max said they covered us until they got here to install and were surprised to find the coverage here was not what they expected because the house was lower than they expected!! Then iberbanda said they could again they turned up no they didn't realize we were round a corner!
Old Apr 24th 2013, 1:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by flotsum
Wi max said they covered us until they got here to install and were surprised to find the coverage here was not what they expected because the house was lower than they expected!! Then iberbanda said they could again they turned up no they didn't realize we were round a corner!
Well, there you go.

But it's worth checking...
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

gerryh is an unknown quantity at this point

All internet access via satellite uses the Tooway satellite system.
There are various resellers/ installers.
You get the same basic packages from them all.
What varies is the monthly price depending on how they charge for the equipment, installation and configuration.
With the cheapest monthly charge you pay the full cost of the the equipment, installation and configuration up front.
Some others you pay a dearer monthly charge and, effectively, pay for the equipment other the 24 month contracted period but still pay the installation and configuration charge up front.
With others, you pay a higher monthly charge and effectively, pay for the equipment,installation and configuration charge other the 24 month contracted period.
So speed wise, download limits etc should be exactly the same for all, it's just how you pay for the equipment etc. that varies and which reseller/ installer you wish to deal with.
Cheers
Gerry
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:58 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gerryh
All internet access via satellite uses the Tooway satellite system.
Including this one ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SES_Broadband

SES Broadband, previously Astra2Connect ?
Old Apr 26th 2013, 7:22 am
Just Joined

gerryh is an unknown quantity at this point

OK.I will rephrase what I said to be that the majority of satellite installations seem to use the Tooway system.
Had a look at SES Broadband.
They only appear to have 2 resellers/ installers in Spain.
One doesn't quote any prices or information about SES Broadband and the other shows prices far higher than Tooway prices.
Cheers
Gerry
Old Apr 26th 2013, 7:26 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I recently visited a house for sale that had a Hughes satellite dish with an unusual lnb, seems that was for sat telephone
Hughes has an enormous number of commercial as well as private customers.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by snikpoh

We live on a the side of a mountain on the top of which are the repeater towers but our wireless internet provider said we couldn't get a signal because there were trees in the way!! We are now pointing at a repeater a couple of miles away instead.