Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK TV channels over the Net to your *TV* not PC?

UK TV channels over the Net to your *TV* not PC?

Old May 10th 2009, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

GBExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK TV channels over the Net to your *TV* not PC? (IPTV)

Hi, I have a property in a Spanish resort, where the communal satellite has been switched off (due to contract negotiations failing) and we have all lost our UK channels.

I know some alternative options include rebroadcasters such as Torresat, which may be illegal if not unreliable. Another option is watching UK TV such as BBC iPlayer via a VPN service on your computer screen.

However does anyone know of companies who provide a set-top-box that will connect my actual television set directly to my broadband, and deliver UK free-to-air channels via the Internet, that I can watch on the proper television (not involving my computer at all)? This would be like the BT Vision service in the UK, which is delivered purely via broadband.

NB: I am not referring to the Slingbox Pro, which requires you to install the sending device somewhere in the UK. I want something where the content is served to me by the company, not by my UK house.

Then you could sit back with the set-top-box's remote control, and watch normal TV.

I have heard such services exist, and have a decent broadband connection that could handle high bandwidth video, so this may be my answer.

Many thanks!

Last edited by GBExpat; May 10th 2009 at 1:22 pm.
Old May 10th 2009, 1:18 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK TV channels over the Net to your *TV* not PC?

you may be thinking of the "slingbox".

this requires a "host" slingbox connected to a supply of tv channels (ie sky or freeview receiver). the "host" is connected to the net. You have your "receiver" slingbox at another location and connected to the net and a TV. You can control the "host" receiver and change channels.

downsides are: can be an issue if your "host" is on a capped usage connection, some upload speeds may not be able to handle the amount of data, not good for HD channels yet, if something goes wrong at the "hosts" end and you cannot gain access (ie they are on holiday!)

google slingbox for more information.

i have not heard of another system allowing high speed streaming without a pc.

Last edited by The Guy; May 10th 2009 at 1:20 pm.
Old May 10th 2009, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Satandpcguy
you may be thinking of the "slingbox".

this requires a "host" slingbox connected to a supply of tv channels (ie sky or freeview receiver). the "host" is connected to the net. You have your "receiver" slingbox at another location and connected to the net and a TV. You can control the "host" receiver and change channels.

google slingbox for more information.

i have not heard of another system allowing high speed streaming without a pc.
Thanks, but I'm not thinking of Slingbox. I'm thinking of what I have since discovered are called 'IPTV' services, much like BT Vision, where the channels are streamed via broadband to your home, from the company itself.

I am wondering if BT Vision would work abroad, if you kept paying your UK subscription, but imagine that may get complicated and need connections to the Spanish phone socket etc.

I am sure there must be another option, but just haven't found it yet.
Old May 10th 2009, 1:31 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Well Telefonica do it in Spain for reception of Spanish TV channels.
and BT do it in the UK for reception of UK TV channels.

I dare say even if you use some form of IP hider software on your line, it is the actual software in the BT equipment that will also need to be amened to enable it to connect....and I am sure they wil have some form of line ID filter system to make sure the equipemnt is where it should be.

and officially BT cannot willingly supply it outside the UK due to the contracts they wil have with the channel operators.
Old May 10th 2009, 9:25 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Satandpcguy
Well Telefonica do it in Spain for reception of Spanish TV channels.
and BT do it in the UK for reception of UK TV channels.

I dare say even if you use some form of IP hider software on your line, it is the actual software in the BT equipment that will also need to be amened to enable it to connect....and I am sure they wil have some form of line ID filter system to make sure the equipemnt is where it should be.

and officially BT cannot willingly supply it outside the UK due to the contracts they wil have with the channel operators.
BT Vision will not work from the Red Side of the cloud, You have to be on the Customers side of the Dslam for the Box to connect as it connects to a range of IP address's that are only available from that side. It's a Private IP address range that would get you no where on the internet, If you set up a VPN between a Spanish based router and a UK based one thats on the BT network it may work I stress the may as you would need a no restrictions service at the UK end as Traffic has to come from BT and then be Pushed to Spain, Now BT don't restrict any content coming down to a Vision box, But then Uploading the same Traffic stands out on your usage quota Getting you regularly chopped.
Old May 11th 2009, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

gs.gecko is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like it's going to get complicated. Surely just buy a cheap internet ready PC and hook it up to a monitor in your gaff in Spain is cheaper and easier VPN is cheap and reliable . PM me if you want to be pointed to one I've been using .
Old May 11th 2009, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gs.gecko
Sounds like it's going to get complicated. Surely just buy a cheap internet ready PC and hook it up to a monitor in your gaff in Spain is cheaper and easier VPN is cheap and reliable . PM me if you want to be pointed to one I've been using .
Thanks, please do let me know your VPN as I will use this myself when in the USA, but as for my Spanish property, can you imagine the complications and phone calls I will get from renters trying to figure out how to change channels on a PC, or what to do each time Windows crashes?

For now I think I might go the Slingbox route, with a Slingcatcher in Spain. It wasn't the idea I had in mind, but I think it might be the best bet, and at least there will be no monthly fees if I hook it up to my family's UK Internet router permanently.
Old May 11th 2009, 10:57 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought even with a superfast broadband connection slingshot would slow access for the UK user? If he is downloading for example, what happens then?