Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK AND SPANISH AUTHORITIES JOIN FORCES TO SHARE INFORMATION ON UK BENEFIT FRAUDSTERS

UK AND SPANISH AUTHORITIES JOIN FORCES TO SHARE INFORMATION ON UK BENEFIT FRAUDSTERS

Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

UKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really nice
Default UK AND SPANISH AUTHORITIES JOIN FORCES TO SHARE INFORMATION ON UK BENEFIT FRAUDSTERS

The British and Spanish authorities have joined forces in the fight to bring benefit fraudsters to justice through new information sharing arrangements.

The UK government is committed to clamp down on fraudsters who cheat the system to obtain taxpayers’ money that should be going to people needier than themselves.

Sharing information, such as deaths of British nationals in Spain, helps the UK to ensure that the pensions and benefits of deceased expatriates are stopped as soon as possible, to avoid large overpayments to benefit recipients that then need to be paid back.

The sharing of information also helps to identify fraudsters who deliberately fail to report the death of a family member to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) in order to continue fraudulently receiving the pension or benefit.

One such case involved Michael Higgs and Nancy Rutter who together stole more than £39,000 from the public purse by continuing to draw the benefits of a deceased family member. Data matching between the UK and Spain revealed that Higgs’ father had died in Spain in 2005 yet the couple, who were living in Malaga, had failed to notify the DWP of the death.

Thinking they would never be caught, they continued to fraudulently claim the father’s benefit. After being found guilty of fraud, and as well as having to pay back the money they had stolen, Higgs was given 18 months in prison and Rutter received two sentences of 30 months and 18 months to run concurrently.

A criminal record can easily be avoided by keeping the DWP informed of any change in personal circumstances, including the death of a family member who is in receipt of a pension or benefit. Failing to do so can lead to hefty overpayments that will have to be paid back, and even a prison sentence.

For further details on how you can report someone you suspect of committing benefit fraud, visit www.dwp.gov.uk/benefit-thieves-spain/ or call the DWP’s free and confidential benefit fraud hotline in Spain on 900 55 444 0. The UK and Spain are working together to tackle benefit fraudsters.

UKinSpain
Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:18 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK AND SPANISH AUTHORITIES JOIN FORCES TO SHARE INFORMATION ON UK BENEFIT FRAUDST

Originally Posted by UKinSpain
The British and Spanish authorities have joined forces in the fight to bring benefit fraudsters to justice through new information sharing arrangements.

The UK government is committed to clamp down on fraudsters who cheat the system to obtain taxpayers’ money that should be going to people needier than themselves.

Sharing information, such as deaths of British nationals in Spain, helps the UK to ensure that the pensions and benefits of deceased expatriates are stopped as soon as possible, to avoid large overpayments to benefit recipients that then need to be paid back.

The sharing of information also helps to identify fraudsters who deliberately fail to report the death of a family member to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) in order to continue fraudulently receiving the pension or benefit.

One such case involved Michael Higgs and Nancy Rutter who together stole more than £39,000 from the public purse by continuing to draw the benefits of a deceased family member. Data matching between the UK and Spain revealed that Higgs’ father had died in Spain in 2005 yet the couple, who were living in Malaga, had failed to notify the DWP of the death.

Thinking they would never be caught, they continued to fraudulently claim the father’s benefit. After being found guilty of fraud, and as well as having to pay back the money they had stolen, Higgs was given 18 months in prison and Rutter received two sentences of 30 months and 18 months to run concurrently.

A criminal record can easily be avoided by keeping the DWP informed of any change in personal circumstances, including the death of a family member who is in receipt of a pension or benefit. Failing to do so can lead to hefty overpayments that will have to be paid back, and even a prison sentence.

For further details on how you can report someone you suspect of committing benefit fraud, visit www.dwp.gov.uk/benefit-thieves-spain/ or call the DWP’s free and confidential benefit fraud hotline in Spain on 900 55 444 0. The UK and Spain are working together to tackle benefit fraudsters.

UKinSpain
How dispicable of Higgs and Rutter to claim for a dead man.......I will make a point of informing you personally when my 127 year old father in law and his elder sister pass away.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

guirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really nice
Default Re: UK AND SPANISH AUTHORITIES JOIN FORCES TO SHARE INFORMATION ON UK BENEFIT FRAUDST

I would find it odd if deaths of British nationals in Spain are not reported to the British embassy as a matter of course.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guirijohn
I would find it odd if deaths of British nationals in Spain are not reported to the British embassy as a matter of course.
Do you mean if a British National dies here in Spain and the death is reported to the Spanish system then it will automatically inform the British Embassy ? I would have doubted that but then I have no idea, the details of what happened when my husband died never sunk in and/or have been buried. I do remember talking to an Embassy London person the night he died but how they got my number I cannot remember. Sudden death at home of a new husband is not the best time to remember clearly anything.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 2:29 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Do you mean if a British National dies here in Spain and the death is reported to the Spanish system then it will automatically inform the British Embassy ? I would have doubted that but then I have no idea, the details of what happened when my husband died never sunk in and/or have been buried. I do remember talking to an Embassy London person the night he died but how they got my number I cannot remember. Sudden death at home of a new husband is not the best time to remember clearly anything.
when my dad died here in 2011 I had to hand in his passport to the funeral director for them to pass on to the Consulate - I remember seeing something 'official' & signing something - it was certainly a requirement then
Old Mar 6th 2013, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UKinSpain
etc.etc ...
Sharing information, such as deaths of British nationals in Spain, helps the UK to ensure that the pensions and benefits of deceased expatriates are stopped as soon as possible, to avoid large overpayments to benefit recipients that then need to be paid back. etc etc.
@UKinSpain Why does the UK not do what other European Pension authorities do and send a form once a year that has to be signed by the Mayor or some other sort of official of your town indicating that you are still alive The French and the Danish Authorities do this and I'm pretty sure other northern European countries do the same.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 3:54 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
when my dad died here in 2011 I had to hand in his passport to the funeral director for them to pass on to the Consulate - I remember seeing something 'official' & signing something - it was certainly a requirement then
I was not asked for Graham´s passport at all. I did notify DWP, tax office etc and only needed the death certificate for his company pension.

Rosemary
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:01 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I was not asked for Graham´s passport at all. I did notify DWP, tax office etc and only needed the death certificate for his company pension.

Rosemary
maybe it's because they deal with a lot more expats here than where you live - it was certainly a 'one stop shop' - absolutely everything was done for me
Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:13 pm
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point

spanish cleaners here living in the 1950-1960s apartments of dead germans brits and irish that were brown bread 1,2,5,10,20 years ago .know at least 5 ..

russian consul has longer hours here then the biritsh one ...