Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK Reg Vehicles

UK Reg Vehicles

Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:05 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
martin-vlc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Reg Vehicles

Let me start by saying Hello to all the other expats here in spain. I am in Valencia and have a question i hope someone can help me with... Was stopped by the trafico police today and told that they would impound my motorbike as it was UK reg and as i am classed as a resident (have the card) but I work on a temp contract and pay tax etc in UK. The bike has to be Spanish resident too So to the question Can i take it out of the country for x amount of time then return? many thanks in advance
martin-vlc is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:25 pm
  #2  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,160
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Reg Vehicles

Originally Posted by martin-vlc View Post
Let me start by saying Hello to all the other expats here in spain. I am in Valencia and have a question i hope someone can help me with... Was stopped by the trafico police today and told that they would impound my motorbike as it was UK reg and as i am classed as a resident (have the card) but I work on a temp contract and pay tax etc in UK. The bike has to be Spanish resident too So to the question Can i take it out of the country for x amount of time then return? many thanks in advance
No, as a Spanish resident it is illegal to drive it, you have to matriculate it.
As they have given you a tug already I would do it fast. ;-)

jdr is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:29 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Guadalhorce Valley, Málaga
Posts: 1,059
Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK Reg Vehicles

The Spanish have there own way of dealing with these problems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTrjbTjhy3s

I should get it legal before you regret it
Beachcomber is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:38 pm
  #4  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,160
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Reg Vehicles

Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
The Spanish have there own way of dealing with these problems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTrjbTjhy3s

I should get it legal before you regret it
The third copper to him stuck the boot in too. ;-))
jdr is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:00 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
martin-vlc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Reg Vehicles

Residents In Community Countries

No, we are not making a mistake, it is really residents in the community area, and not only citizens we are talking about in this group. This means that a Chinese with legal residency in Denmark comes in this group.

Persons belonging to this group may use cars registered in their country of residence, in Spain, without any time limits and without paying any taxes. The only condition is that they may not be fiscal residents in Spain. Residents in community countries can also have a car in Spain registered on Spanish tourist plates, valid for six months, renewable.

Thanks i got the above from a link on your site Spain-the foreigner and the car. I am not a fiscal resident of spain i am a fiscal resident of the UK... ???????
martin-vlc is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:39 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
pwwm's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Albuñol. Granada
Posts: 1,532
pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Reg Vehicles

If you have a residencia car, you have to matriculate as the others have said.
pwwm is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:22 pm
  #7  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 24,258
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Reg Vehicles

Originally Posted by martin-vlc View Post
Residents In Community Countries

No, we are not making a mistake, it is really residents in the community area, and not only citizens we are talking about in this group. This means that a Chinese with legal residency in Denmark comes in this group.

Persons belonging to this group may use cars registered in their country of residence, in Spain, without any time limits and without paying any taxes. The only condition is that they may not be fiscal residents in Spain. Residents in community countries can also have a car in Spain registered on Spanish tourist plates, valid for six months, renewable.

Thanks i got the above from a link on your site Spain-the foreigner and the car. I am not a fiscal resident of spain i am a fiscal resident of the UK... ???????
Don't think tourist plates even exist nowadays. Just look in the free beer thread, or search for UK car reg on the forum. There have been many many threads, and they all say the same thing, if you have residencia here in Spain, then your UK vehicle MUST be matriculated onto Spanish plates. The Spanish traffico have the ultimate sanction, they impound the vehicle, and if you don't get things sorted quickly, then your vehicle becomes a small heap of crushed metal and plastic.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:49 pm
  #8  
 
Casa Santo Estevo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Galicia
Posts: 2,981
Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Reg Vehicles

Tourist plates do exist as I saw one in my local garage the other day. However If they are available to EU citizens is not clear.
But if you are really interested you can head this lot.
www.dgt.es/was6/portal/contenidos/documentos/oficina_virtual/vehiculos/turistica.pdf

Casa Santo Estevo is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:00 pm
  #9  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,002
El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Reg Vehicles

Originally Posted by martin-vlc View Post
Let me start by saying Hello to all the other expats here in spain. I am in Valencia and have a question i hope someone can help me with... Was stopped by the trafico police today and told that they would impound my motorbike as it was UK reg and as i am classed as a resident (have the card) but I work on a temp contract and pay tax etc in UK. The bike has to be Spanish resident too So to the question Can i take it out of the country for x amount of time then return? many thanks in advance
The positive side is that it can be quite quick and cheap to switch matriculation. I did it last year and there is actually an advantage in that a 4 yr old bike only needs ITV every 2 years. Get yourself a good gestor, if the bike is a bog standard european model, absolutley unmodified, get the gestor to obtain an engineer's report of conformity and a ficha reducida, pop over to your ITV station and get a special ITV for change of matriculation. Your speedo will already have mph and km/h and they didnt even ask me to change headlamp dipping as it is not quite like a car when you are leaning over all the time round corners. It wont cost a fortune to switch plate but you will probably not be able to get fully comp insurance on any big bike in Spain without forking out an arm and both legs.
El Capitan is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:13 pm
  #10  
Ex Expat
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: West Midlands, ex Granada province
Posts: 2,139
scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Reg Vehicles

Originally Posted by El Capitan View Post
The positive side is that it can be quite quick and cheap to switch matriculation. I did it last year and there is actually an advantage in that a 4 yr old bike only needs ITV every 2 years. Get yourself a good gestor, if the bike is a bog standard european model, absolutley unmodified, get the gestor to obtain an engineer's report of conformity and a ficha reducida, pop over to your ITV station and get a special ITV for change of matriculation. Your speedo will already have mph and km/h and they didnt even ask me to change headlamp dipping as it is not quite like a car when you are leaning over all the time round corners. It wont cost a fortune to switch plate but you will probably not be able to get fully comp insurance on any big bike in Spain without forking out an arm and both legs.

Can't get it on a four-year-old Spanish registered scooter. Linea Directa woouldn't even quote for third party only when it was brand new without sending 'someone to look at it'.

We took out TPFT insurance elsewhere!
scampicat is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:15 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
martin-vlc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Reg Vehicles

Thanks for the info El Capitan. The bike is not fully standard both rear indicators are after market as they were smashed when someone knocked it over in the car park here and the exhaust end can is also non standard (but fully UK road legal ) It does sound like it maybe easy but then again this is spain......and i am not Spanish.....
martin-vlc is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.