Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Uk Recession and Spain's Crisis.

Uk Recession and Spain's Crisis.

Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:59 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Recession and Spain's Crisis.

Originally Posted by spainboy
Ive been over in Spain now for 12 years and I do keep up with the news in the uk. I know this topic has been touched on before regarding the recession in both countries but looking at the stats it seems that Spain has been hit harder than the uk.
Now the other week I was listening to a local radio station and they had a guy on there who was one of the McDonald restaurant bosses and he was telling us that they are creating a lot of jobs in the uk this year and in 2010, however he was saying there was an average of 15 applicants for one job which I suppose it still quite frightening if you are out there looking for work.
Now I work in Benidorm as an entertainer and I have been looking for someone to work with me now for a couple of weeks. Ive asked work collegues and friends if they know of anyone and really have put the word around but I can't find anyone. It's not as if there are loads of applications coming in for other posts ( waiters etc) because there isn't. If this job had been advertised in the UK (looking at what you hear from the news /papers) then this entertainers post would surely attract dozens of people within a couple of weeks.

Is the recession really this bad still in the uk or is the media hyping it all up because I don't see much demand for one job where im living in Spain. Right now if you want a job you will get one within a week.!!!
Curiosity has got the better of me........I was just wondering what the job you were offering entailed.
Is it a Debbie Magee type person, or a stripper (twirly tassels and such) that you needed.
I can just imagine the missus on a spinning wheel, while you throw hatchets and other sharp objects at her..........
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

The program is called Comando Actualidad, it's great, always full of gitanos, prostitutes, drunks and drug addicts, gives a fantastic impression of the "real Spain"... Did anyone see the one with the dogs last night? Grim...

Regarding having his house on the market for 2 years, many people either cannot or will not reduce the price of their property. I can understand it if people are in negative equity, but some people who really need to sell refuse to reduce the price, so nobody will buy. People want to buy but are now obliged to stump up at least 30% of the purchase price in a deposit and taxes (banks will only give 80% of the value, and new mortgages are like hen's teeth). Flats in Barcelona are at least 200,000 euros (in a cheap area), so that means having AT LEAST 60,000 euros saved up (not an easy feat these days). It has got to the stage where you only sell if you reduce the price.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:24 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainboy
Ive never known it to attract that many people but like you say it could be the sector. I knew a guy who went back to the uk 2 months ago, he is in his early 50's and holds a HGV licence but over in Spain he was a compare. He is back in full time employment driving already. My brother is also a manager a section in the Royal Mail and he tells me that they are constantly advertising for the sorting office and if I ever came back there would be a good chance of getting work (not through favouritism). I think 150-200 applicants only apply to certain areas surely.
More doom and gloom regarding the Royal Mail situation I'm afraid:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8309736.stm
The postal system was something I felt the UK did quite well. I can't help feeling we're going to have a far worse service after the so-called "modernisation". Anyway, people thinking about sending anything in the post (Christmas cards?) may be advised to get it done now, just in case!
Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
Similarly in Denia and Gandia, improvements and upgrades to the town. Although I was "told" that it is because money has to be spent by a certain date or forfeited?
That's true, allocated money has to be spent in the year of it's allocation, so towards the end of that year you will see loads of white line repainting, loads of clean up work, a few quick roundabouts laid. Even more obvious in election years.. Just like the UK..