Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Uk Recession and Spain's Crisis.

Uk Recession and Spain's Crisis.

Old Oct 12th 2009, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of
Default Uk Recession and Spain's Crisis.

Ive been over in Spain now for 12 years and I do keep up with the news in the uk. I know this topic has been touched on before regarding the recession in both countries but looking at the stats it seems that Spain has been hit harder than the uk.
Now the other week I was listening to a local radio station and they had a guy on there who was one of the McDonald restaurant bosses and he was telling us that they are creating a lot of jobs in the uk this year and in 2010, however he was saying there was an average of 15 applicants for one job which I suppose it still quite frightening if you are out there looking for work.
Now I work in Benidorm as an entertainer and I have been looking for someone to work with me now for a couple of weeks. Ive asked work collegues and friends if they know of anyone and really have put the word around but I can't find anyone. It's not as if there are loads of applications coming in for other posts ( waiters etc) because there isn't. If this job had been advertised in the UK (looking at what you hear from the news /papers) then this entertainers post would surely attract dozens of people within a couple of weeks.

Is the recession really this bad still in the uk or is the media hyping it all up because I don't see much demand for one job where im living in Spain. Right now if you want a job you will get one within a week.!!!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 3:14 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Recession and Spain's Crisis.

Originally Posted by spainboy
Ive been over in Spain now for 12 years and I do keep up with the news in the uk. I know this topic has been touched on before regarding the recession in both countries but looking at the stats it seems that Spain has been hit harder than the uk.
Now the other week I was listening to a local radio station and they had a guy on there who was one of the McDonald restaurant bosses and he was telling us that they are creating a lot of jobs in the uk this year and in 2010, however he was saying there was an average of 15 applicants for one job which I suppose it still quite frightening if you are out there looking for work.
Now I work in Benidorm as an entertainer and I have been looking for someone to work with me now for a couple of weeks. Ive asked work collegues and friends if they know of anyone and really have put the word around but I can't find anyone. It's not as if there are loads of applications coming in for other posts ( waiters etc) because there isn't. If this job had been advertised in the UK (looking at what you hear from the news /papers) then this entertainers post would surely attract dozens of people within a couple of weeks.

Is the recession really this bad still in the uk or is the media hyping it all up because I don't see much demand for one job where im living in Spain. Right now if you want a job you will get one within a week.!!!
I must admit your whole post surprises me. Jobs in the UK normally attract 150 or 200 applicants at the moment, and I was given to understand things were worse in Spain. Certainly I'm finding it very hard getting work in the UK (in IT) but posters on this board tell me it's just my sector.
Maybe the sector you're in - folk are no longer going to the resorts because a) it's the wrong time or year? b) they're naturally concerned they could end up without work?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

The recession has hit Spain and the UK hard. Both related to giving people dodgy mortgages to sustain the housing market and make it appear that all was well.

In terms of jobs, things are much worse in Spain than the UK, but then they always have been (in past 30 years or so). Unemployment was only low a few years ago because Spain was building so much housing that it didnt need in the hope that foreigners or Spanish investors would buy it.

Now they need to go and find a proper sustainable way of growing the Spanish economy and creating jobs which may take a long time as I've not heard any concrete proposals yet.

In the UK, we are seeing a mild rebound in house prices and job loses are no way near as bad. Long term the country will suffer if the US and global financial institutes decide to move their bases to the Far East and if the dollar comes tumbling down. This is a big danger and if it happens the UK will suffer tremendously.

Difficult times for both countries. If I were to bet, this crisis still has a way to run...
Old Oct 12th 2009, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I must admit your whole post surprises me. Jobs in the UK normally attract 150 or 200 applicants at the moment, and I was given to understand things were worse in Spain. Certainly I'm finding it very hard getting work in the UK (in IT) but posters on this board tell me it's just my sector.
Maybe the sector you're in - folk are no longer going to the resorts because a) it's the wrong time or year? b) they're naturally concerned they could end up without work?
Ive never known it to attract that many people but like you say it could be the sector. I knew a guy who went back to the uk 2 months ago, he is in his early 50's and holds a HGV licence but over in Spain he was a compare. He is back in full time employment driving already. My brother is also a manager a section in the Royal Mail and he tells me that they are constantly advertising for the sorting office and if I ever came back there would be a good chance of getting work (not through favouritism). I think 150-200 applicants only apply to certain areas surely.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 3:25 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainboy
Ive never known it to attract that many people but like you say it could be the sector. I knew a guy who went back to the uk 2 months ago, he is in his early 50's and holds a HGV licence but over in Spain he was a compare. He is back in full time employment driving already. My brother is also a manager a section in the Royal Mail and he tells me that they are constantly advertising for the sorting office and if I ever came back there would be a good chance of getting work (not through favouritism). I think 150-200 applicants only apply to certain areas surely.
Whatever you do don't come back to the UK looking for work with the Royal Mail. They're trying to get rid of staff, and there's been a vote to strike by the unions. Chances are this could be a drawn-out fight to the end between the two sides. Not looking good at all

Edit: Here's a link to a summary of the crisis:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8260701.stm

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Oct 12th 2009 at 3:32 pm. Reason: link bbc
Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:07 pm
Not Banned (yet)

It's certainly not representative, but this British farming couple in Asturias seem to be doing ok

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8290958.stm

Like many others in rural Spain, Mr and Mrs Burch run a diversified business, which in their case includes a farmhouse hotel with a restaurant in addition to the farm itself.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

bbeau is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it all depends on your skills and what area you work in.I myself am a lorry driver,been in spain 4 years worked for a company in madrid up untill last year got laid off..Collected my dole for 8 months,which was to good to turn down!,now back working but in the last 2 months been offered 2 jobs here and also 2 in the uk,so things may be looking up also depends on who you know aswell i suppose..

Last edited by bbeau; Oct 12th 2009 at 4:25 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly not representative, but this British farming couple in Asturias seem to be doing ok

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8290958.stm
Agree, there will always be exceptions, also there will be people that have done well out of the crisis. Due to the crisis, in the car industry the scrappage scheme has been a huge success. I am currently awaiting a new car, some models having a 3/4 month waiting list, they are all having problems sourcing enough cars. Also the UK tourist industry has had a great year, a lot of people stayed home and local hotels etc have done very well. Some of the effects that I have experienced from the crisis are also positive, a lot of food has dropped in price, loads of restaurants doing deals etc. In the UK, house prices continue to rise, mortgages granted up, stock market highest for a year, so crisis over? I don't think so, it has some way to go yet with a lot more pain, but I fancy it will come out of recession long before Spain.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 5:10 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by agoreira
Agree, there will always be exceptions, also there will be people that have done well out of the crisis. Due to the crisis, in the car industry the scrappage scheme has been a huge success. I am currently awaiting a new car, some models having a 3/4 month waiting list, they are all having problems sourcing enough cars. Also the UK tourist industry has had a great year, a lot of people stayed home and local hotels etc have done very well. Some of the effects that I have experienced from the crisis are also positive, a lot of food has dropped in price, loads of restaurants doing deals etc. In the UK, house prices continue to rise, mortgages granted up, stock market highest for a year, so crisis over? I don't think so, it has some way to go yet with a lot more pain, but I fancy it will come out of recession long before Spain.
Keep an eye on the pound to Euro rate. It the pound bottoms out at say 1.05 or 1.06 to the Euro, then the UK should (although one can never be 100% certain) attract business, based on a favourable exchange rate. However, if Gordo's borrowed too much and the pound collapses too much then be prepared for very stormy weather.
Spain's recovery will come from countries like the UK and Germany (its biggest export market!) in economic terms.

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Oct 12th 2009 at 5:16 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 6:01 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Both my local towns here in Spain, Torrevieja and Los Montesinos , and the area around them is suffering badly because of the crisis. The building industry has collapsed and all the major developers have filed for bankruptcy, leaving unfinished urbanisations and other projects.

The foreign workers in those industries, and the Spanish workers from other parts of Spain have gone home, the apartment blocks where they used to live lie empty.

Businesses are closing all over the place, no trade is left unaffected, and I won’t even mention British bars, and the service industry connected with them, even the entertainers.

Thousands of British pensioners are suffering because of exchange rate, and their reduced spending is completing the circle of despair.

What is encouraging is the attitude of the local councils. They are making jobs for their people, roads and drainage systems are being repaired and the town centres are giant building sites, and no one is in a hurry to complete the work. But those jobs are for local Spanish people only, and who can blame them?

The official unemployment figures are around 20%.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Keep an eye on the pound to Euro rate. It the pound bottoms out at say 1.05 or 1.06 to the Euro, then the UK should (although one can never be 100% certain) attract business, based on a favourable exchange rate. However, if Gordo's borrowed too much and the pound collapses too much then be prepared for very stormy weather.
Spain's recovery will come from countries like the UK and Germany (its biggest export market!) in economic terms.
I dont agree that Spain will recover due to its exports. Spain's exports are quite low and recession proof (e.g. olive oil to Italy will always sell!).

50% of governments income comes from property sales taxes. Now sales are at low levels and may not recover for 10-20 years, so that leaves an enourmous hole in the economy!

Spain has to decide what it wants to market itself as to the international business community, in terms of a "knowledge economy". The UK is an important finance, media and marketing centre. I've heard rumblings that Spain will concentrate on biotechnology, they already have a good reputation for architecture and structural engineering, renewable energy etc. Its in these new industries where their future lies. They need to get out there and sell themselves.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HBG

But those jobs are for local Spanish people only, and who can blame them?
Are you sure about that? Where have you got this info from?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 6:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The road from the Stupa to Higueron near me is going great guns, they cut out half a mountain, took all the rocks away and tidied the land, then brought it all back to fill in a gorge.
They are now putting lights along and a brand new red and green path each side of the road that used to be rubble and jungle.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Similarly in Denia and Gandia, improvements and upgrades to the town. Although I was "told" that it is because money has to be spent by a certain date or forfeited?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:11 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Are you sure about that? Where have you got this info from?
I have a friend who works at the town hall, he's an elected member of the council. I feel I need to explain that further. He's in charge of the foreigner's department and his advice is available to any local citizen. Because of 70,000 foreigners living in town, it's quite a big department, well respected and a model for other towns with large foreign populations.

However, any number of local online newspapers will also confirm my account, both English and Spanish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.