Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK Photo licence registration

UK Photo licence registration

Old Nov 30th 2011, 10:09 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Photo licence registration

Originally Posted by spainrico
Frankly Mitzyboy (and others) your DL is your business and I am not concerned. All I am trying to establish is what is the correct procedure (law?) for those that wish to follow it. Which I thought was one of the purposes of this forum.
And you will know that within the next couple of days, please rest assured
Old Nov 30th 2011, 11:41 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
And you will know that within the next couple of days, please rest assured
so the 9th December date being bandied about for these changes is correct?
Old Nov 30th 2011, 12:02 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I think that a lot of the people who are keeping their UK licence are doing so within the timescales. Some have a home in the UK as well as one in Spain so it is relevant for them to maintain their UK licence. It is a grey area and one where many of us may disagree regarding the need to change or not.

Rosemary
Quite right. We have a home in the UK, where we have visited (for the last three years staying several months at a time). We are returning to live there next week after being resident in Spain since 2004. We always knew our move to Spain was not going to be permanent and saw no reason to change to a Spanish licence. I renewed my licence through the DVLA using my UK address.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 12:05 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You should know by now that on this forum any posts that involve driving licences, residency or income tax are likely to get more responses than if you suggested legalising child abuse!
and medical rights....

and pensions...........
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
so the 9th December date being bandied about for these changes is correct?
No, totally incorrect
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

The English one is a useful form of ID as well. I have used it all the time since I have been here and it is ALWAYS accepted, other than in official areas such as tax etc

Again I am aware of that and I am aware that DVLA actually tell people to use a UK address for renewal should they have one.

Well maybe you feel you are more Spanish than British. Spain is just a place I live in at the moment ... I am still British through and through. If, as some have, I was asked to change my citizenship I would do absolutely anything in my power not to.

I have gone out of my way at great cost emotionally and financially to fall in with Spanish law and do everything correctly even when I have seen those around me ignoring the obvious and not even registering or paying taxes here. Even to the point of being derided when I have mentioned it to them.

At the end of the day the UK licence is mine, and I'm keeping it.
Its strange how a straight forward question here on something that comes from a reasonable source (from a friend locally) has turned into a debate on if I should keep a UK licence or not
!
I could have written this myself. It is exactly how I feel.

Despite having lived here for nearly eight years, and having enjoyed most of it, Spain has never been my home, it is just somewhere I happened to be living at a particular time in my life. I am English and will stay that way.

Going back HOME next week to a Midlands December with my UK driving licence

Last edited by scampicat; Nov 30th 2011 at 12:10 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 7:48 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I'm totally with Mitzy on this one. Why on earth would you want to exchange your British driving licence for a Spanish one?

For ID? What a daft argument. How often do you have to properly identify yourself to the Spanish authorities?

Once every three years when facing daft Spanish bureaucracy? Well, carry your passport once every three years when going to the town hall or traffico.

And if you pay for Mercadona or other purchases with a credit or debit card, you want your head examining.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 7:55 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by HBG
I'm totally with Mitzy on this one. Why on earth would you want to exchange your British driving licence for a Spanish one?

For ID? What a daft argument. How often do you have to properly identify yourself to the Spanish authorities?

Once every three years when facing daft Spanish bureaucracy? Well, carry your passport once every three years when going to the town hall or traffico.

And if you pay for Mercadona or other purchases with a credit or debit card, you want your head examining.

.....they will accept a UK driving licence as ID.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:51 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Why? What's wrong with that?
Old Dec 1st 2011, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing as far as I can see.....I've been doing exactly that for years!
Old Dec 1st 2011, 4:28 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

Well in my case........
My HGV was due a new medical.
My 10 year photo was also due for renewal.
I needed a medical anyway to comply with the law even if I kept my UK licence.
Doing that here was a fraction of what I would pay in the UK.

I also live in Spain and should I be fined for any misdemeanor I would then get time to pay, rather than an on the spot fine that they could impose if I had a UK licence (should they choose) It also has my NIE & photo and most seem happy when using this as ID.

Should I return to the UK I will simply exchange it back to a UK licence, so for me its a no brainier.

Like many others I have used a credit card in the supermarkets for years & are you referring to how they track your spending habits ?
Old Dec 1st 2011, 5:17 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

No, totally incorrect
Old Dec 1st 2011, 6:06 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

What total drivel !!!!

If you have the funds to be able to pay off the card each month and not incur interest charges, then why not use someone elses money so that you can gain the interest?

Some people (I'm not one of them, however) simply don't like carrying too much cash around.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 6:11 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I may be over-cautious, but ID theft is very much on the increase during these hard times.

I only use my debit card once a week to go to cash point inside a bank while it is open. I then pay cash for everything else and leave my cards at home.

Supermarkets may be safer than restaurants when using your cards, but there have still been instances when the card details are stolen and then misused.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 6:22 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snikpoh
What total drivel !!!!

If you have the funds to be able to pay off the card each month and not incur interest charges, then why not use someone elses money so that you can gain the interest?

Some people (I'm not one of them, however) simply don't like carrying too much cash around.
Using someone else's money to gain the interest? I won't accuse you of writing drivel, especially with four accompanying exclamation marks, but will simply point out that your calculation is incorrect.

I also consider the loss of a credit (or debit) card more important than losing the amount of money I carry around on a weekly basis to do my shopping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.