Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The UK news thread.

The UK news thread.

Old Mar 3rd 2014, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The UK news thread.

Its going to be the most boring 2 weeks ever on Sky News with the Pistorias court case, does not interest me one bit, he is a nobody to me, never had heard of him and for now I am going to flick back to Cuatro !
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 8:21 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Its going to be the most boring 2 weeks ever on Sky News with the Pistorias court case, does not interest me one bit, he is a nobody to me, never had heard of him and for now I am going to flick back to Cuatro !
I am interested.

It is a new twist, usually it is a 'did he do it'.

This is a 'he did do it' but was it intentional case.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
I am interested.

It was certainly a strange build up to such a case after it happened, the bail hearing was enough for me to believe that you can not have much faith in the Justice system there.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 10:05 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I am interested.

Exactly, but how on earth can they figure that out for sure ?

Apparently he's known to have a short fuse and there was said to be problems with his Mrs at the time, but is that enough to prove it was intentional ?

I'm guessing it will run along the lines of some of these US celeb trials and he'll walk away.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Exactly, but how on earth can they figure that out for sure ?

Apparently he's known to have a short fuse and there was said to be problems with his Mrs at the time, but is that enough to prove it was intentional ?

I'm guessing it will run along the lines of some of these US celeb trials and he'll walk away.
It's the victim and her family I feel for, they are not really seen in this, that's the worst part about it the way I see it, Oscar will come out of it with a Oscar
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 11:05 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Maybe time it had protected status then.
Remember the Cornish Pasty dispute that took the EU 9 years to recognize.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...ed-status.html

Most likely because there was no French connection.

What about Yorkshire Puddings then you may well ask ?
They seem to be manufactured worldwide these days or wherever there is a little Brit community ?

...and no, before you ask I am proud to admit to NOT being a Yorkshireman.
Well, it would only apply in the EU.

In the US for example, you can buy "California Champagne", which would be an absolute no-no in Europe, subject to lawsuits and fines and god knows what else.

Labeling requirement in the US is simply that is created from, and manufactured consistent with what the product is claimed to be. Unlike EU law, US law does not aspire to subjectively define what is "better" product solely for the benefit and protection of a handful of producers. The yanks see competition as a good thing, whereas, the EU frowns on it.

Just like Yorkshire pud, which need not be from Yorkshire to be designated as "Yorkshire pud". But under EU law, that may eventually change.

No doubt some will argue that there's no possibility that something from California could possibly compare to something "French", but that's not the point - that is a subjective argument, rather than an objective argument. Still, I'd bet in a blind taste test, precious few average people would be able to definitively tell which is "French" or which is "California".

In reality, Champagne is Champagne, and like all products, some are better than others, but being "French" alone does not make that distinction. The "French-only" distinction is for the sole purpose of protection from competition.

In typical EU fashion, it's the LAW that defines what a product is, not the product itself, to protect us from "unfair" competition.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Just like Yorkshire pud, which need not be from Yorkshire to be designated as "Yorkshire pud". But under EU law, that may eventually change.
I think to some extent that is a bad move. Having a destination mentioned even in the most abstract connection has to help tourism etc.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 12:05 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it would only apply in the EU.

In the US for example, you can buy "California Champagne", which would be an absolute no-no in Europe, subject to lawsuits and fines and god knows what else.

Labeling requirement in the US is simply that is created from, and manufactured consistent with what the product is claimed to be. Unlike EU law, US law does not aspire to subjectively define what is "better" product solely for the benefit and protection of a handful of producers. The yanks see competition as a good thing, whereas, the EU frowns on it.

No doubt some will argue that there's no possibility that something from California could possibly compare to something "French", but that's not the point - that is a subjective argument, rather than an objective argument. Still, I'd bet in a blind taste test, precious few average people would be able to definitively tell which is "French" or which is "California".

In reality, Champagne is Champagne, and like all products, some are better than others, but being "French" alone does not make that distinction. The "French-only" distinction is for the sole purpose of protection from competition.

In typical EU fashion, it's the LAW that defines what a product is, not the product itself, to protect us from "unfair" competition.
You misunderstand. Champagne comes from Champagne which is a geographical area of France. You cannot call something Champagne that does not come from Champagne. It has nothing whatever to do with quality.

Last edited by jimenato; Mar 3rd 2014 at 12:09 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Oscar Pistorios trial has been held up due to them not having an Afrikaans translator, according to sky news.
I wonder if they did not have one, how they would verify the translation is correct ?

Have they said how long the trial is expected to last ?
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 2:58 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
You misunderstand. Champagne comes from Champagne which is a geographical area of France. You cannot call something Champagne that does not come from Champagne. It has nothing whatever to do with quality.
OK then using same logic, it should also be illegal to sell Yorkshire pudding if it's made in Essex?

Chardonnay? Irish cream? Curaçao? Gouda? Roquefort? Gorgonzola?

How about Peking duck?

Thai curry?

Wienerschnitzel? (Vienna for those who don't know) Genovese salami? Cumberland sausage? Welsh rarebit?

Using that same logic, then these names should be protected because they can only be "authentic" if they come from producers in the regions they are named for? There's also the inference that they can't possibly be as "good" if they come from elsewhere.

And as you point out, it has nothing to do with quality. The quality can be crap, but it's the only way you can get "champagne", simply because the law says so. (apparently you haven't tried the €4/btl "champagne" sold at Lidl, have you?).

So tell me, if not to assure quality, what is the point of protecting it? Lemme think...
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:17 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

OK then using same logic, it should also be illegal to sell Yorkshire pudding if it's made in Essex?

Chardonnay? Irish cream? Curaçao? Gouda? Roquefort? Gorgonzola?

How about Peking duck?

Thai curry?

Wienerschnitzel? (Vienna for those who don't know) Genovese salami? Cumberland sausage? Welsh rarebit?

Using that same logic, then these names should be protected because they can only be "authentic" if they come from producers in the regions they are named for? There's also the inference that they can't possibly be as "good" if they come from elsewhere.

And as you point out, it has nothing to do with quality. The quality can be crap, but it's the only way you can get "champagne", simply because the law says so. (apparently you haven't tried the €4/btl "champagne" sold at Lidl, have you?).

So tell me, if not to assure quality, what is the point of protecting it? Lemme think...
Some things have protected names and some don't. Wines typically do. I expect the same is true in America. Would you be allowed to sell a wine as napa valley if it came from elsewhere?

Info; chardonnay is a grape.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 4:00 pm
Banned

Some things have protected names and some don't. Wines typically do. I expect the same is true in America. Would you be allowed to sell a wine as napa valley if it came from elsewhere?

Info; chardonnay is a grape.
Misrepresentation of a product is certainly unethical, if not illegal in much, if not most of the civilised world.

If anyone claims their wine comes from "napa valley", when it comes from France, or claiming your "champagne" comes from France, but it's produced in South Africa, then that's clearly misrepresentation, just as it would be if you were claiming your yorkie pud is made in Yorkshire when it's really made in Essex.

But that's not the point. In reality (and in practice) Champagne is just as much a type of wine as it is a region of France. Just as "Yorkshire pudding" is a type of well, bread, really.

Outside the EU, many varieties of "champagne" are produced and sold as "champagne", although nobody claims it is from France. Only within the EU is Champagne produced Champagne region of France allowed to be labeled as "Champagne", which obviously was legislated for the sole purpose of protecting French champagne producers from having to suffer any competition. Presumably, they've employed some very effective lobbyists to ensure that.

And yes, Chadonnay is a grape, which originated in France, but is now produced all over the world. I reckon that gives french wine producers a clear ticket to sue the rest of the world for their "fake" grapes and the resulting fake "chardonnay" wine.

Last edited by amideislas; Mar 3rd 2014 at 4:03 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 4:03 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

I have just seen an ad one itv for a gastric band.

I don't know if it has been running for some time or not.

Also 74 children have been taken into care due to being obese.

Bad news.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Oh of course you can. I just unintentionally produced a bottle from my scrappy little vines. Went down a treat at grandson's birthday. Riserva Chateau La Spina 2011. :-)
bye bye dicette l'inglese
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 4:49 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I vote the most boring news today ......the Oscars...same ole pat on the back crap. At least Judi Dench was missing this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.