Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The UK news thread.

The UK news thread.

Old Feb 25th 2014, 2:26 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The UK news thread.

Originally Posted by EMR
Is that " REAL " Cheddar or the industrially produced cheese that calls itself cheddar that could come from almost anywhere in the world these days ?
They just said cheddar.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 3:04 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
A few little snippets from UK skynews.

This is the place to post 'little stories'

Zara Philips has sold pictures of her new baby for 150k.

Sales of cheddar are down, I must say it is one of my favourite cheeses.
I thought her name was Zara Tindall?
Old Feb 25th 2014, 3:28 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
True, it is, but do the news people concern themselves with the truth.. no if it gets in the way of a good story. It's like Rebecca Brooks claiming she didn't know phone hacking was illegal.. ohh wait a minute, she did claim that in court..
Old Feb 25th 2014, 4:11 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
True, it is, but do the news people concern themselves with the truth.. no if it gets in the way of a good story. It's like Rebecca Brooks claiming she didn't know phone hacking was illegal.. ohh wait a minute, she did claim that in court..
Can't see that will help her case any.
Ignorance of the law is no excuse and with her experience and background I think she will be looked upon as desperately grasping at straws if she expects the Court to sympathize with her on those grounds.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 5:56 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Really the name Zara goes by as a 'personality' has nothing to do with newspapers telling the truth.

Jennifer Aniston was never known as Jennifer Pitt,

Liza Guest?

Scarlett Reynolds?

Elizabeth Fortensky?

They will always be known as Minnelli, Johansson and Taylor.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 6:16 am
Banned

A cyclist was stopped on the M25 in rush hour yesterday.

His sat. nav got him into a fine mess.

Blaming technology is one thing but surely he should have known that he was about to enter onto a motorway

I must say I would be lost without mine.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 5:27 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like we're more popular than ever.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-26367391

Maybe the UK haters have got it all wrong judging by our popularity with EU citizens especially, not forgetting the Spanish of course.

Though it would be a sad day if we ever resorted to the the recent tactics used in Ceuta in order to control the situation.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 8:40 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Looks like we're more popular than ever.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-26367391

Maybe the UK haters have got it all wrong judging by our popularity with EU citizens especially, not forgetting the Spanish of course.

Though it would be a sad day if we ever resorted to the the recent tactics used in Ceuta in order to control the situation.
Nigel Farage is rubbing his hands with glee, the Tories wanted to get net migration down to less than 100,000 by the next election, instead it's doubled in the last year
Old Feb 28th 2014, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Nigel Farage is rubbing his hands with glee, the Tories wanted to get net migration down to less than 100,000 by the next election, instead it's doubled in the last year
Actually it's gone from 157,000 to 212,000 from 2012 to 2013 but from 220,000 to 212,000 from 2011 to 2013. None of this is doubled - unless new maths is very different from what I learnt at school. True, it is double the target in the Tory manifesto but they weren't to know that every initiative would be frustrated by the meddling LibDems.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 8:06 am
Banned

The Oscar Pistorios trial will be televised from Monday.

I wonder how they decide which ones to televise and which ones not.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 1:19 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Is that " REAL " Cheddar or the industrially produced cheese that calls itself cheddar that could come from almost anywhere in the world these days ?
What exactly is "real" cheddar? Is it the only type that comes from wherever you were raised? I reckon the EU should make a law pronouncing that anything called "cheddar" must come from wherever you were raised. That will protect us all from getting "fake" cheddar.

Only in the EU are products whose unique manufacturing processes came from a certain region, restricted to using that product's common name ONLY if it comes from the region of origin. A testament to French influence in the EU.

So, "washing up liquid" may only be used as a label on detergent products coming from the UK? What if they are manufactured in Australia? India? Who has the rights to this?

How about "meteorite"? Hmm.. how do we know what part of space the first one came from?

Tough questions. No wonder EU bureaucrats are paid so much.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 1:22 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by amideislas
What exactly is "real" cheddar? Is it the only type that comes from wherever you were raised? I reckon the EU should make a law pronouncing that anything called "cheddar" must come from wherever you were raised. That will protect us all from getting "fake" cheddar.

Only in the EU are products whose unique manufacturing processes came from a certain region, restricted to using that product's common name ONLY if it comes from the region of origin. A testament to French influence in the EU.

So, "washing up liquid" may only be used as a label on detergent products coming from the UK? What if they are manufactured in Australia? India? Who has the rights to this?

How about "meteorite"? Hmm.. how do we know what part of space the first one came from?

Tough questions. No wonder EU bureaucrats are paid so much.
From Wikipedia.

The term "cheddar cheese" is widely used, but has no Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) within the European Union. However, only cheddar produced from local milk within four counties of South West England, may use the name "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar."
Old Mar 1st 2014, 8:07 am
On the road again.

From Wikipedia.

The term "cheddar cheese" is widely used, but has no Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) within the European Union. However, only cheddar produced from local milk within four counties of South West England, may use the name "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar."
Maybe time it had protected status then.
Remember the Cornish Pasty dispute that took the EU 9 years to recognize.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...ed-status.html

Most likely because there was no French connection.

What about Yorkshire Puddings then you may well ask ?
They seem to be manufactured worldwide these days or wherever there is a little Brit community ?

...and no, before you ask I am proud to admit to NOT being a Yorkshireman.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:06 am
Banned

I am just having some blish.

Apparently it means tea, along with splash and chupley.

Not recommended while 'frarping'. Which means scratching your bum.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 8:13 am
Banned

The Oscar Pistorios trial has been held up due to them not having an Afrikaans translator, according to sky news.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.