UK Groceries

Old Apr 1st 2013, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Gary.T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Groceries

Hi Everyone

I am a new member to this site, and I have a quick question for all you experts out there.

I seem to remember someone once telling me there is a way of getting your groceries delivered from the UK. I don' know how true this is and maybe I am being lead up the garden path. It would be nice if this was true as our family are missing some of the UK brands that we were used to having.

If it is true then has anyone any idea of the cost as I would imagine that it could be quite expensive to get the beans and HP delivered.

I hope that someone out there can either confirm or scotch this idea.

Many thanks

Gary
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:12 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Groceries

Where are you? Unless you choose to live out in the boonies there will be shops where you can buy those items you cannot live without, e.g. Thomas Green http://www.thomasgreen.eu/shops/es/thomas-greens-spain or Iceland http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/Spai...-in-spain.aspx.

Last edited by missile; Apr 1st 2013 at 2:18 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:19 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gary.T
Hi Everyone

I am a new member to this site, and I have a quick question for all you experts out there.

I seem to remember someone once telling me there is a way of getting your groceries delivered from the UK. I don' know how true this is and maybe I am being lead up the garden path. It would be nice if this was true as our family are missing some of the UK brands that we were used to having.

If it is true then has anyone any idea of the cost as I would imagine that it could be quite expensive to get the beans and HP delivered.

Many thanks

Gary
Many of the Spanish supermarkets do sell some of the more popular UK foods, such as Heinz BB and some of the sauces. Depends where you live, larger branches of Carrefour will have them, and often have UK product promos. There are many shops called Iceland, they aren't the real Iceland but a Spanish franchise that also sells a lot of Waitrose products as well. You can get some on-line shops, BUT their delivery costs are usually very high. You are more likely to find these products on the Costas, anywhere where there is a lorge Brit expat population. ISTR that even Mrecadona do stock Heinz BBs.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:19 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Many thanks

Gary
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

No need for a Brit shop because Carrefour and Mercadonna both sell HP sauce and Heinz Baked Beans. A lot of things such as this can also be bought from Amazon and many are at sensible prices. If the order is over 25 pounds there is not charge for delivery but check each item carefully as some are sent by other sellers who charge the earth for delivery.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:20 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Mike for repeating what you have said, posted the same time.

Rosemary
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP happens to be living on the Costa del Sol, many expats make the trip to Gibraltar periodically to stock up on groceries at Morrison's (as well as cheap cigarettes and alcohol, of course!). Our local expat social club runs a coach trip every month which costs €10, I'm told that is a lot cheaper than taking your own car and paying for fuel and motorway tolls.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:43 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Many thanks

Gary
There is of course the alternative, try the local brands, many are just as good as the UK brands, especially if you go to places like ALDI and LIDL, and they will be cheaper..
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Gary.T is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thanks for the quick responses everyone, I will look a little closer to home for our goodies.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 3:23 pm

I forgot to say that sometimes Lidl do an English week, not many products but a few of the standards.

Rosemary
Old Apr 1st 2013, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Someone doing Market Research on the Portugal and Spain forums??????
Old Apr 1st 2013, 4:46 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what you are basing your accusations on apart from the fact that the OP has also posted the same question on the Portugal forum where they may also be able to answer his question.

Please leave the moderating to the moderators.

If you think a post breaks forum rules then you should report it in the proper way and it will get dealt with.

Making comments about the post on the forum is not acceptable.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 5:48 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I have a problem with is Branston Pickle

Other than that I am an activist for Brit (or any other country) Expats using the local produce. I came here to live in Spain not in another county of the UK. They have great produce, I find little need for the processed stuff of the UK, full of all the alphabet in a added salt, counterbalanced by added sugar, colours and all sorts of additives.

We eat fresh or fresh from frozen food, the meat from the local butcher is fresh from the abbatoir, no processing, no pints of moisture.
OK the "bacon" doesn't look the same, but lonchas of chulleta in the fine cuts is fine by me for Sat & Sun breakfast.

This is another country, and believe it or not eggs are the same in Malaysia as they are in Spain as they are in the UK, as are tomatoes and many other things.

Just find me a reliable source for mint chocolate other than Mercadona
Old Apr 1st 2013, 6:25 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Domino
The only thing I have a problem with is Branston Pickle
No chunk of mature Cheddar cheese to put it on ? No Jacobs biscuits ? No can of Thwaites's mild to wash it down with ?

Old Apr 1st 2013, 6:33 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacontrathinker
No chunk of mature Cheddar cheese to put it on ? No Jacobs biscuits ? No can of Thwaites's mild to wash it down with ?

nope, good Spanish for me, so much choice its unbelievable
nope, local biscuits only
nope, most definitely not - wine or 7.5% in a can
hic

actually miss it when making cheese and ham sarnies

Old Apr 1st 2013, 6:37 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacontrathinker

A lot of different cheeses can be found in Spain, but they're not cheap,
Jacob's biscuits? Plenty of salty cracker stuff in the likes of Lidl..why restrict yourself to a marketed brand?
You have a good point with a certain type of beer (I'm lucky as I prefer the continental lagers). I understand that the craft beer movement is growing fast in certain parts of Spain.
http://www.madridchow.com/madrids-cr...to-suck-it-up/
http://theartichokeadventures.thespa...tion-going-on/

edit = oops, Dom already answered in much the same vein, still maybe my beer links may be of interest to someone...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.