UK Groceries

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Groceries

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Bet she didn't have a wander around the "authentic" food markets. Dogs are frequently on the menu
I had to avert my gaze from restaurant windows when wandering around Hong Kong, a lot of what was on display looked unspeakable. I wouldn't have been up for trying the spatchcocked frogs I saw for sale in the food markets in Thailand either, no matter how authentic they may have been!
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 7:27 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
We bring local produce back to the UK, I can fully understand why the Spanish. Portuguese. Poles etc would not want to eat most of the processed. products sold in UK supermarkets.
Well they obviously don't have to - there's loads of fresh produce available. And are you saying that chorizo, salchichon, jamon, queso and everything else is not 'processed'? It clearly is.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 7:44 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Having decided that we want to live longer, we've gone on to the Mediterranean diet, all local produce, frying pan fresh, and soaked in olive oil, mostly bought from Mercadona.

We only cheat around once a month when overtaken by homesickness, either with cod and chips (hopefully not Panga) with curry sauce, or a Full Monty, all-day breakfast.

The frying pans get worn out fairly quickly, but they're only about five Euros apiece in the Chino.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
There are a lot of different brands of Spanish cheeses but actually not a lot of varieties
I have to disagree with you on that. There are cheeses of every type and strength in Spain. Again, as with everything, you need to do a little research to work out what is what.

Just have a gander at the El Corte Ingles cheese counter. Even the one in Malaga will have 100 or so Spanish cheeses and another 50 foreign ones

And I am not talking about 100 different types of Goats cheese either. You have incredibly strong blue cheese to fresh cheeses or riqueson and from cow, goat or sheep and mixture of the 3, from all parts of the country, and fresh, semi or cured, and in oil, herbs or pimenton etc etc. And of course with the individual flavours and various ways of production depending on their origin.

Chedder is used purrely for kid's sandwiches

As for processed meets, a chorizo can be the lowest of the low or one of the best highest quality foods imaginable, depends which one you choose!
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 5:30 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I have to disagree with you on that. There are cheeses of every type and strength in Spain. Again, as with everything, you need to do a little research to work out what is what.

Just have a gander at the El Corte Ingles cheese counter. Even the one in Malaga will have 100 or so Spanish cheeses and another 50 foreign ones

And I am not talking about 100 different types of Goats cheese either. You have incredibly strong blue cheese to fresh cheeses or riqueson and from cow, goat or sheep and mixture of the 3, from all parts of the country, and fresh, semi or cured, and in oil, herbs or pimenton etc etc. And of course with the individual flavours and various ways of production depending on their origin.

Chedder is used purrely for kid's sandwiches

As for processed meets, a chorizo can be the lowest of the low or one of the best highest quality foods imaginable, depends which one you choose!
there's only one cheese for melted cheese on toast - mature cheddar!!

& I'm no kid....
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
there's only one cheese for melted cheese on toast - mature cheddar!!

& I'm no kid....
Sure, although cheese and toast isnt really done in Spain

Try putting melted tetilla on toast. Trust me, its lovely

http://www.cheesefromspain.com/CFS/1509Tetilla_I.htm
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:30 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

... As for processed meets, a chorizo can be the lowest of the low or one of the best highest quality foods imaginable, depends which one you choose!
Precisely. Which demonstrates that 'processed' doesn't mean 'bad'.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:34 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Precisely. Which demonstrates that 'processed' doesn't mean 'bad'.
Good point. By definition all cakes, or all sausages are 'processed'. There is a world of difference between the cheap supermarket "Walls" type of sausage, and the one produced by your local butcher.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 11:52 am
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

OK, Plaza de Torros time on this one.

Bread.

Why did the art of baking never cross the Pyrenees ?

I’ve eaten baguettes in the centre of Paris and got the same thing from the Rawtenstall ASDA. I used to eat them whenever I could. However the “baguettes” here just aren’t. They’re dry with concrete crusts, stale within a couple of hours.

I’ve tried all the shops and breads in the area looking for a tasty loaf and can find nothing. Oh for a farmhouse loaf !

Do all expats bake their own bread ?

Pies. Why are there no pies in Spain ?

I read that during the war, Spain was supplied with wheat from the U.S. as long as they stayed out of the war, “Franco puts bread on the table”. Is the reason they can’t bake because they don’t grow wheat here ?

Let me just say this is not a defence for buying frozen British sliced bread.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by notacontrathinker

Bread.

I’ve eaten baguettes in the centre of Paris and got the same thing from the Rawtenstall ASDA. I used to eat them whenever I could. However the “baguettes” here just aren’t. They’re dry with concrete crusts, stale within a couple of hours.

I’ve tried all the shops and breads in the area looking for a tasty loaf and can find nothing. Oh for a farmhouse loaf !

I read that during the war, Spain was supplied with wheat from the U.S. as long as they stayed out of the war, “Franco puts bread on the table”. Is the reason they can’t bake because they don’t grow wheat here ?

Are you serious? I found the bread to be awful in Barcelona, but that was until we found the right place (took us a year). They do wonderful bread out in the villages up near the Pyranees and Girona area where you are based. I dream of some lovely crusty bread with a bit of bulli blanc

Obviously you shouldnt buy from the supermarket

Down South the bread was ordinary but it really depends on the panaderia, the one in Benalmadena Pueblo was pretty good

Here in Oviedo we have every kind of bread possible and it is delicious. The bread in the North is more substantial, in the South is tends to be crusty but with no migas. However, the pan cateto in the South was great

Again, like anything in Spain, you need to shop around and go to a good panaderia. Ask your friends where they go to!
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

It did, took one look then fled to Portugal.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 12:18 pm
FreeThinker

Bread.

French bread is OK (no better that that) provided you like ficelles and baquettes - it's well nigh impossible to get anything else in some areas. So if like me you like brown wholemeal or anything else you are stuffed. The 'factory' bread in Spain seems to me to have improved over time (or I suppose I might have got used to it over time). It's fine for toast which is really the only way I eat bread. I find the local artisan breads around here quite heavy.

But you are right that the best bread is from Britain simply because of the variety readily available.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: UK Groceries

Never thought I would see 'bread' and ‘defense’ in the same sentence

Personally, I used to LOVE white bread in the UK.
At least two slices of toast every morning, slightly blackened...
These days I avoid white bread. And, for me, the best bread I have eaten in Spain is the slightly brown'ish bread. Lovely. BUT, bread isn't a deal breaker for me.

Television and internet are important more than any bread, personally speaking. In fact, the more I don't have British style foods, the healithier I am eating...

Seriously.., Faggot and Chips, Fish and Chips, Pie and Chips, Sheppard’s Pie with veg [ what veg?! ] , Cooked breakfast [ really healthy! ] .. the list is endless.

Give me some freshly cut jamon & poached egg for breakfast any day

In closing, I have not lost any weight since leaving the UK, so I am sure my appetite is being fed

DSB.

Last edited by bealerDSB; Apr 3rd 2013 at 12:27 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 12:40 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

we have some excellent mollete's round here, size and shape of a side plate.

if a new bread is hard then leave it overnight in a plastic bag.

it was in my bread shop I learnt the difference between suave and blando

`
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 1:15 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

My own, personal difficulty with trying to eat healthily in Spain is that even the most Spanish of Spanish shops now stock Mars bars. A couple of them and the bathroom scales start jumping about, no matter how many salads you've eaten in the meantime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.