Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK disqualified driver in Spain?

UK disqualified driver in Spain?

Old Apr 16th 2007, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Nacnud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK disqualified driver in Spain?

Honest, this isn't me, it's my younger brother, he's nearly 18! He could get banned from driving this month for speeding. I know, I know, I gave him a clip round his ear but a lot of us have done these things when younger.

Anyway, if he was to get banned in the UK, could he apply for a licence in Spain and take the driving test there or would his UK disqualification come in to it?

He may not get banned and he's never been in trouble before but he was motoring.

He's learnt his lesson (I hope). I've had him on an advanced driving course since which he passed and I've made him speak to police officers about the dangers of speeding.

He just keeps asking me what would happen in Spain and if he could drive on some kind of Spanish licence there (in time)?
Old Apr 16th 2007, 3:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK disqualified driver in Spain?

Originally Posted by Nacnud
Honest, this isn't me, it's my younger brother, he's nearly 18! He could get banned from driving this month for speeding. I know, I know, I gave him a clip round his ear but a lot of us have done these things when younger.

Anyway, if he was to get banned in the UK, could he apply for a licence in Spain and take the driving test there or would his UK disqualification come in to it?

He may not get banned and he's never been in trouble before but he was motoring.

He's learnt his lesson (I hope). I've had him on an advanced driving course since which he passed and I've made him speak to police officers about the dangers of speeding.

He just keeps asking me what would happen in Spain and if he could drive on some kind of Spanish licence there (in time)?
Disqualification in the UK is not a bar to driving here, or in any other EU country, can still use his UK license. I read it on the DVLA web site as a friend has just been caught drink driving in France, and as he is a HGV driver he needed to know whether he would be banned in the UK. Interestingly enough a retired policeman friend though he would, but not so apparently.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Nacnud is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mike. Will look into this.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

gemmaholly is on a distinguished road

I'd be suprised. My Uncle was banned for drink driving in the UK and I know that he had problems in Spain. Whether they were official or just the Gaurdia having fun is another matter.

I' you have to have a fully valid licence in order to drive there. You can drive on your valid UK licence for six months before applying for an EU/Spanish licence so I don't think he would. As it would no longer strictly speaking be valid.

In any case you aren't allowed to drive in Spain until you are 18 anyway.

Last edited by gemmaholly; Apr 16th 2007 at 4:19 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 5:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemmaholly
I'd be suprised. My Uncle was banned for drink driving in the UK and I know that he had problems in Spain. Whether they were official or just the Gaurdia having fun is another matter.

I' you have to have a fully valid licence in order to drive there. You can drive on your valid UK licence for six months before applying for an EU/Spanish licence so I don't think he would. As it would no longer strictly speaking be valid.

In any case you aren't allowed to drive in Spain until you are 18 anyway.
As you say he has to be 18, but you can drive on your UK licence till it expires, read the bit in free beer thread from the EU directive.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Disqualification in the UK is not a bar to driving here, or in any other EU country, can still use his UK license. I read it on the DVLA web site as a friend has just been caught drink driving in France, and as he is a HGV driver he needed to know whether he would be banned in the UK. Interestingly enough a retired policeman friend though he would, but not so apparently.
I believe that this is incorrect.

A EU Computer system callled.....Shengen/Shingen..I forget the actual name will soon be online whereby a conviction in any member state can be checked by a police officer in any other member state should you offend in that country, and be taken into accont!!
EU arrest warrants have ben around for some time.
Currently in France penalty points incurred there for driving apply on your licence in the UK.
Having said that, further research is required.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

The EU Schengen agreement countries are: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and Sweden. They are connected in the sense of freedom to travel. Some of the countries are better connected to exchange information (like this DVLA data) than others. I’m not sure what the Spanish connections are like, or will be like in the future.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:19 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

OK I have sat and had a drink with friends in the Flying Squad tonight, and while they are not connected to Traffic it is their understanding that if you are disqualified here in the UK then you effectively have no license to drive, therefore you cannot drive in another country.

As I said it is their understanding of the restrictions so maybe someone like Dogbyte in the Lounge could clarify the situation.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 7:51 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Disqualification in the UK is not a bar to driving here, or in any other EU country, can still use his UK license. .
I was under the impression that when you were banned you surrendered your licence and had to apply for a new one when the ban ended.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:05 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I was under the impression that when you were banned you surrendered your licence and had to apply for a new one when the ban ended.
You do, but some people tell the courts that it is lost and then just go abroad and drive.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:22 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think there could be some serious insurance issues here, and in that guys position I don't think I could in all conscience risk being uninsured
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:26 am
Just Joined

gemmaholly is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I think there could be some serious insurance issues here, and in that guys position I don't think I could in all conscience risk being uninsured
To be honest if you are going to drive after being banned then I don't think you are going to worry about insurance!

I'm suprised. I was looking last night and it seems that all it says is you must have a driving licence. Nothing about it actually being a valid driving licence. What a loop hole that is!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:30 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemmaholly
To be honest if you are going to drive after being banned then I don't think you are going to worry about insurance!
No I realise that ...... and I'm fairly sure that for one reason or another there are many brits driving in Spain illegally. There IS more chance of you being stopped here. Having been here nearly 7 months I've been stopped here more times already than in 30 years of driving in the UK.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
You do, but some people tell the courts that it is lost and then just go abroad and drive.

Some people apply for a duplicate licence l o n g before they commit any offences.

I don't know why
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Having been here nearly 7 months I've been stopped here more times already than in 30 years of driving in the UK.
It's either what you are driving or something in, on or upon it.
Did you work out what yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.