Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK disqualified driver in Spain?

UK disqualified driver in Spain?

Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:37 am
Just Joined

gemmaholly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: UK disqualified driver in Spain?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
No I realise that ...... and I'm fairly sure that for one reason or another there are many brits driving in Spain illegally. There IS more chance of you being stopped here. Having been here nearly 7 months I've been stopped here more times already than in 30 years of driving in the UK.
Ahhh I remember the days when a 10,000 peseta note could get you out of most jams. Under age driving, driving under the influence, driving without insurance. Those were the days! Now you get your licence taken away for having had a tubo of beer!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemmaholly
Ahhh I remember the days when a 10,000 peseta note could get you out of most jams. Under age driving, driving under the influence, driving without insurance. Those were the days! Now you get your licence taken away for having had a tubo of beer!
oo errr
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:58 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

No I realise that ...... and I'm fairly sure that for one reason or another there are many brits driving in Spain illegally. There IS more chance of you being stopped here. Having been here nearly 7 months I've been stopped here more times already than in 30 years of driving in the UK.
Only ever stopped twice in UK, and never here in 18 months. In UK was stopped at Christmas, they were looking for people who had been releiving houses of goods to sell at local car boots, and also for people who had nicked turkeys from local farms, other time was about 3 am, when I was responing to an emergency call to my work place at the hospital, police must have been having a slack evening, they pulled me over, one started to walk round the car looking at lights etc. the other started to ask me questions, third question was, 'Suppose your on your way to work then' my answer weas 'Yes, I'm on an emergency call to the Path lab at the hospital'.. never saw them move so fast, they were out of my way in 10 secs and I was on my way. There had been a case in the news a few days earlier where a policeman had been disciplined for stopping someone in my line of work from getting to his hosptial for 30 mins, result was a patient died because they counldn't get any blood to transfuse them s there was no one to cross match it, he was been questioned by a very over zealous police man.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Do they always ask for documents? Have you ever been stopped while driving a hire car?

When I hire a car, I only ever carry the rental agreement. Do you know if this would this pose a problem if I was stopped.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:20 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
Do they always ask for documents? Have you ever been stopped while driving a hire car?

When I hire a car, I only ever carry the rental agreement. Do you know if this would this pose a problem if I was stopped.
Never been stopped in a hire car. I get stopped more in my sports car, I think probably because they have never seen one before and are interested!!! No ... they usually seem more interested in the licence than anything else, but last time I had left it in my golf club bag in the back of the car and when I motioned that I would have to get out to get it he just waved me on.

Your rental agreement is all they will want to see for a hire car as it shows insurance included, along with your licence and passport probably of course
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

If you are driving a hire car here in Spain you just need to show them your copy of the rental agreement that the hire company gives you
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:26 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
If you are driving a hire car here in Spain you just need to show them your copy of the rental agreement that the hire company gives you

Echo ....echo .... echo ...
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to you both.

I have always assumed that the car hire paperwork alone was sufficient, but lately people have been telling me I risk being thrown in jail for not carrying documents.

So if I do get thrown in jail ....
Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to you both.

I have always assumed that the car hire paperwork alone was sufficient, but lately people have been telling me I risk being thrown in jail for not carrying documents.

So if I do get thrown in jail ....
No they dont put you in jail, they just take the car and let you walk home. ;-)
Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:37 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
We got stopped in a hire car.

First we gave them the car rental agreement.

Then they asked for license.

Then they asked for passport

Then they asked where we live in Spain (address) ????

I had our house rental agreement in my bag, funnily enough...so then they asked us for our NIE number *lol*.....

After about over an hour they waved us on, reminding us to wear our seatbelts, which by the way we had never taken off in the first place
Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
We got stopped in a hire car.

First we gave them the car rental agreement.

Then they asked for license.

Then they asked for passport

Then they asked where we live in Spain (address) ????

I had our house rental agreement in my bag, funnily enough...so then they asked us for our NIE number *lol*.....

After about over an hour they waved us on, reminding us to wear our seatbelts, which by the way we had never taken off in the first place
He probably took a shine to you and wanted to know where you lived. ;-)
Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
No they dont put you in jail, they just take the car and let you walk home. ;-)
Ah well, the exercise wouldn't go amiss.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

I get stopped more in my sports car,
Should we have a thread on the best car toown/drive in spain do you think?
Based on make/size/mpg and number of times stopped perhaps ?
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:39 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
He probably took a shine to you and wanted to know where you lived. ;-)
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Echo ....echo .... echo ...
Sorry Mitzyboy, you were quicker posting your reply than me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.