Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK citizen living in US, with US husband,what visa do we both need to move to Spain?

UK citizen living in US, with US husband,what visa do we both need to move to Spain?

Old Mar 13th 2010, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

arran29 will become famous soon enough
Default UK citizen living in US, with US husband,what visa do we both need to move to Spain?

I am a UK citizen, left the U.K. in Aug 09 with a permanent resident visa to live in the US with my American husband. We have travelled around since then looking for a cheap home (with all the foreclosures) and also work, we are both teachers but are finding even substitute work is hard to find (we have no work). So we are looking at options, namely moving to Europe, to either teach English or buy a small coffee shop. I am trying to fact find at the moment to clarify how much this would actually cost us and if it is doable. I would appreciate any help on finding out what exactly we both need in the way of paperwork before we would enter Italy. I know I can live and work there, and from what I can see my husband can as well as he is married to an EU citizen, but this part is unclear. Also what, if any, health care would he be entitled to?
Many thanks for bothering to read this.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK citizen living in US, with US husband,what visa do we both need to move to Spa

1. Don't buy a coffee shop in Spain. Unless you have a unique concept, you will be throwing your money away.
2. Being married to an EU citizen, your husband won't have any problems living in Spain. There have been similar threads before, a search will uncover them.
3. Do you care about your US green card? If you live outside the US for an extended period of time, you will be considered as having abandoned your US residency.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

arran29 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK citizen living in US, with US husband,what visa do we both need to move to Spa

Thanks for the info. Yes I know it is a lot to consider and it took us 4 years to get the US visa so that is why we are researching it all as much as we can before giving it up. I appreciate your advice.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by arran29
Thanks for the info. Yes I know it is a lot to consider and it took us 4 years to get the US visa so that is why we are researching it all as much as we can before giving it up. I appreciate your advice.
You can live away from the US, as long as you can prove that your absence is temporary. In order to do this you will have to continue to maintain ties with the US, this includes having a US drivers licence, filing taxes as a resident, keeping your bank account and having a US address. You can also request a two year leave to live abroad. But, keep in mind that when you do this your time period for applying for US citizenship will be reset. i.e. you will be starting from zero. That is if you want to apply for US citizenship of course.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 11:24 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arran29
I am a UK citizen, left the U.K. in Aug 09 with a permanent resident visa to live in the US with my American husband. We have travelled around since then looking for a cheap home (with all the foreclosures) and also work, we are both teachers but are finding even substitute work is hard to find (we have no work). So we are looking at options, namely moving to Europe, to either teach English or buy a small coffee shop. I am trying to fact find at the moment to clarify how much this would actually cost us and if it is doable. I would appreciate any help on finding out what exactly we both need in the way of paperwork before we would enter Italy. I know I can live and work there, and from what I can see my husband can as well as he is married to an EU citizen, but this part is unclear. Also what, if any, health care would he be entitled to?
Many thanks for bothering to read this.
A coffee shop in the Netherlands means something else other than coffee drinking.
On a more serious not and to answer your question: Maybe move back to the UK and get permission for your husband to live there. Obtain a UK citizenship and then he and you will be able to move around Europe with ease. I suggest to overcome/bypasss any language problem in obtain permission to live in Europe.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 7:51 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

He will need a visa applied for in the US, and you will both have no state health cover unless you are on a contract job.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Lightbulb Re: UK citizen living in US, with US husband,what visa do we both need to move to Spa

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
You can live away from the US, as long as you can prove that your absence is temporary. In order to do this you will have to continue to maintain ties with the US, this includes having a US drivers licence, filing taxes as a resident, keeping your bank account and having a US address. You can also request a two year leave to live abroad. But, keep in mind that when you do this your time period for applying for US citizenship will be reset. i.e. you will be starting from zero. That is if you want to apply for US citizenship of course.
1 tad of info not being asked yet, is what type of Visa is it ?
A Marriage License / Visa or Work visa..

The point of things to do would be based off that. Nonsense to say that the DMV license is part of having ties, to include U.S address. As long as your SSN is current you can always work a return. I have had a re-issue of a DMV many times, and the lady who's UK born technically only has to exchange her DVLA License for a DMV 'after 90days'.
The only big issue regarding re-patrician is if you have to keep your I94's valid.. Worth noting also.

I'm not wishing to come across in an incorrect manner people, it's just that I have worked / lived / left & returned to the States over many years, as long as your Credit Score is in good standing along with a good SSN you'll be fine..

That's why there are Embassies around the world to do a re-visit to realign your distance before jumping back onto Delta :P

P.S: Why on earth would you want to leave the States for Spain ?
No offense meant, but your options / cost of living are better than Spain right now, at least for me anyways
DSB.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
1 tad of info not being asked yet, is what type of Visa is it ?
A Marriage License / Visa or Work visa..

The point of things to do would be based off that. Nonsense to say that the DMV license is part of having ties, to include U.S address. As long as your SSN is current you can always work a return. I have had a re-issue of a DMV many times, and the lady who's UK born technically only has to exchange her DVLA License for a DMV 'after 90days'.
The only big issue regarding re-patrician is if you have to keep your I94's valid.. Worth noting also.

I'm not wishing to come across in an incorrect manner people, it's just that I have worked / lived / left & returned to the States over many years, as long as your Credit Score is in good standing along with a good SSN you'll be fine..

That's why there are Embassies around the world to do a re-visit to realign your distance before jumping back onto Delta :P

P.S: Why on earth would you want to leave the States for Spain ?
No offense meant, but your options / cost of living are better than Spain right now, at least for me anyways
DSB.
I think you've got it a bit cock-eyed. Having a SSN doesn't give you the right to live and work in the US. Once you have a Green Card you don't get I-94s. And each state varies in its driver licensing requirements. You certainly can't just swap your UK licence here in CA.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think you've got it a bit cock-eyed. Having a SSN doesn't give you the right to live and work in the US. Once you have a Green Card you don't get I-94s. And each state varies in its driver licensing requirements. You certainly can't just swap your UK licence here in CA.
I haven't got it cock-eyed. But yet I understand and agree with your Statements. (Lots of permutations agreed)
DMV reg's after 90days in Country are to sit the Test and hand over your DVLA in exchange (it's get's sent back to Swansea)

DSB.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Location: Javea by choice / Kazakhstan mostly / UK sometimes!
Mykap will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
2. Being married to an EU citizen, your husband won't have any problems living in Spain. There have been similar threads before, a search will uncover them.
No, he will only be allowed to stay for 90 days as a tourist.

The Residence permit for non-EU foreigners
The non EU-foreigners need the residence permit to inhabit in Spanish territory. To enter the Spanish territory the foreigner would be required to show his valid passport and the corresponding visa.

After a period of time exceeding 90 days, in order to remain in Spain it is necessary to obtain either an extension or a residence permit.

There are different types of residence permits:

Temporary residence permit: It allows you to remain in Spain for a period of time between 90 days and 5 years, your residence permit may be renewed up after that limit.

Permanent residency permit: It is available to all foreigners who have held a normal residence permit for a continuous period of 5 years, it should be renewed every 5 years.

Residency permit for special circumstances such as for non-EU foreigners "moved considered"; for non EU-foreigners whose asylum application had been rejected and whom the Spanish Ministry of Interior had authorised them remaining in Spain…

Residency permit for reuniting families: this permit entitles the non-EU foreigner residing in Spain to apply for the Spanish residence of his closest family. The applicant shall have been legally residing in Spain for at least 1 year and he must have authorization for another year residing in Spain.

The residency permits applications shall be made in person to the Foreigners' Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) or to the National Police Station with a foreigners' department nearest the city or town where you are going to live, you will be required to present some documentation depending on the type of residence permit applied.