Uk bank cheque

Old Apr 1st 2022, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Tbrimlow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk bank cheque

Does anyone know how long it takes for a uk cheque to clear in a spanish bank? Thank you
Old Apr 1st 2022, 9:04 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk bank cheque

Allow up to 2 weeks. You might be lucky and get it quicker.
Old Apr 1st 2022, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
Allow up to 2 weeks. You might be lucky and get it quicker.
thank you so much Fred
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tbrimlow
Does anyone know how long it takes for a uk cheque to clear in a spanish bank? Thank you
I put a cheque into Sabadell from HMRC, I had to prove it was actually from HMRC and they charged me the earth to handle it. It took about a week to clear.

Steve
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tebo53
I put a cheque into Sabadell from HMRC, I had to prove it was actually from HMRC and they charged me the earth to handle it. It took about a week to clear.

Steve
Thank you, I hope so, they told us 3 weeks which seems a lot 😣
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Never use cheques! Use a money transfer service it will save you a fortune. I move money in seconds for peanuts! (Using Wise)
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spainrico
Never use cheques! Use a money transfer service it will save you a fortune. I move money in seconds for peanuts! (Using Wise)
thanks, it is also a cheque from HMRC
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
I agree with you. I haven't used cheques for years and I also use Wise. The HMRC are still living in the past and won't do bank transfers but only issue cheques which cost a fortune to get cleared!!

Steve
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 7:58 am
Just Joined

I agree with you. I haven't used cheques for years and I also use Wise. The HMRC are still living in the past and won't do bank transfers but only issue cheques which cost a fortune to get cleared!!

Steve
And it took 11 weeks and a million phone calls for them to send it 🙄
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

If the cheque is in sterling and you still have a UK current account, with many banks you can pay in a cheque online by photographing it. Or if the amount is too high for online clearing, you can post it to a friend or relative in UK and ask them to pay in at a branch of your bank.

Last edited by Joppa; Apr 2nd 2022 at 8:20 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Joppa
If the cheque is in sterling and you still have a UK current account, with many banks you can pay in a cheque online by photographing it. Or if the amount is too high for online clearing, can post it to a friend or relative in UK and ask them to pay in at a branch of your bank.
That's fine if you have family members or friends who are willing and reliable. If I asked my son to help in the way you suggested it would take him weeks to even think about it 🙄

Steve
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Joppa
If the cheque is in sterling and you still have a UK current account, with many banks you can pay in a cheque online by photographing it. Or if the amount is too high for online clearing, you can post it to a friend or relative in UK and ask them to pay in at a branch of your bank.
oh I didn’t know that, we put it in the Santander Bank yesterday 😣 but thanks, good to know!
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Steve
Thats weird because all of my tax repayments have always been direct to my UK bank account.
Maybe because I was self employed and used to do self assessment.
With this you have to nominate a bank account to pay NI.

Now maybe they cannot send to a foreign one, but seeing as pensions and benefits can be, there should be no reason why tax rebates can't be.

Old Apr 2nd 2022, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Barriej
Thats weird because all of my tax repayments have always been direct to my UK bank account.
Maybe because I was self employed and used to do self assessment.
With this you have to nominate a bank account to pay NI.

Now maybe they cannot send to a foreign one, but seeing as pensions and benefits can be, there should be no reason why tax rebates can't be.
I understand your point but (8 years ago) when I was due my tax rebate I sent them full UK banking details, which included a UK address, and they still sent me a personal cheque to my Spanish address.

The OP has obviously had a similar problem.

Steve
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

I understand your point but (8 years ago) when I was due my tax rebate I sent them full UK banking details, which included a UK address, and they still sent me a personal cheque to my Spanish address.

The OP has obviously had a similar problem.

Steve
Agreed and to be honest HMRC are a nightmare to deal with..

Ive looked at the HMRC website for self assess.
You have to tick a box to say you want overpayments sent direct to your bank.
Obviously if a normal taxpayer you don't get this option. (maybe someone there needs to get familiar with modern techniques)
Its not new either because we had returns paid back to the bank in 2006.
I suppose if you know you may be receiving a repayment, it might make sense to sign up to the Gov gateway services as that allows you to check everything including NI contributions and pension status going forwards.
My tax rebate in 2020 came direct as I had informed HMRC I no longer lived in the UK. I was fully employed then, no self employment (but once you have an account, its for life).

Im not suggesting anything here, but I know a few people who never bothered to inform when they moved away from the Uk. Because just by saying you have a Spanish address doesn't remove you from the tax system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.