Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ubeeqo terms & conditions...

Ubeeqo terms & conditions...

Old Jan 24th 2019, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

noz03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ubeeqo terms & conditions...

I'm a little confused... I signed up for Ubeeqo, and I was accepted, despite my driving licence is quite newly acquired.

Later on, I read on their terms and conditions (although I believe these may be for the UK as they are in English):

(ii) for citizens of the European Economic Area or Switzerland, have held a valid national driving licence for at least twenty-four (24) months giving entitlement to drive the Vehicle; and for nationals of other countries, hold a valid national driving licence with photograph and a valid international driving licence giving entitlement to drive the Vehicle;
But I have not held my licence for 24 months.

So am I misunderstanding something here, or are the Spanish terms (which I can't seem to find) different? It also seems strange that holders of "other licences" would have less strict requirements than EU licences.
And if it says this in the terms, but they validated and accepted my driving licence anyway, what would happen if I were to have an accident while using the service? Could I be charged above the insurance excess?

Maybe someone here could clear this up for me.

Last edited by noz03; Jan 24th 2019 at 3:47 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 2:02 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ubeeqo terms & conditions...

I thought it was the case that one had to have held a valid UK licence for 2 years before being able to use it in another European country.

I couldn't find the sections you quote but there are invalid terms used - there is no such thing as an "international driving licence" it's an international driving permit - quite different.

Confused ???
Old Jan 25th 2019, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

The safe thing to do would be to confirm the validity of your Ubeeqo membership with the company, assuming could prove costly !
I believe EU directives on driving licences oblige member countries to impose limitations on new drivers for their first 2 years, foreign drivers are not subject to those rules hence the discrimination.

Also AFAIK a full UK licence is valid to drive on throughout the EU from the day it is obtained not after 2 years, I've seen nothing on the DVLA website to say differently.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

noz03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I thought it was the case that one had to have held a valid UK licence for 2 years before being able to use it in another European country.

I couldn't find the sections you quote but there are invalid terms used - there is no such thing as an "international driving licence" it's an international driving permit - quite different.

Confused ???
Honestly I'm not sure, I couldn't find the original Spanish T&C anywhere, and the one in English I found did seem weird and inaccurate.

Oh and talking of invalid terms.... Right above the part I quoted it said that the driver "must be a natural person". What ever that means

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
The safe thing to do would be to confirm the validity of your Ubeeqo membership with the company, assuming could prove costly !
I believe EU directives on driving licences oblige member countries to impose limitations on new drivers for their first 2 years, foreign drivers are not subject to those rules hence the discrimination.

Also AFAIK a full UK licence is valid to drive on throughout the EU from the day it is obtained not after 2 years, I've seen nothing on the DVLA website to say differently.
I tried calling them but the person didn't speak English and when I asked to be transferred they said something I didn't understand and hung up... I guess I should send them an email.

I'm pretty sure though if there is a 2 year requirement it is not a legal issue but a requirement of their insurance company. At this point I'm mostly just curious from a legal point who would be responsible if the insurance company failed to pay up. The driver who didn't read/understand the terms and signed up anyway, or Ubeeqo for validating their driving licence.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 5:26 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to cancel your membership >>> https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/ubeeqo.com