Reload this Page >

U/K Plated Car back to U/K

U/K Plated Car back to U/K

Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

ROYIRENE42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default U/K Plated Car back to U/K

Hi,
Some advice please,I have to return to the U/K from Spain and will be exchanging my Spanish plated car for a U/K plated car to drive back in.
I have seen a U/K plated car I am interested in it has a SORN notification in England,but no U/K tax or MOT here in Spain as it has lapsed.
I have been told that when I dock in England if I have pre-arranged appointment for a MOT in England and give a date and reference number to this effect to Police etc: it will be ok,also I have been told from the time I dock in England I have 7 days to get this MOT,then I can get road tax,can anyone please confirm this.
Roy.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U/K Plated Car back to U/K

Originally Posted by ROYIRENE42
Hi,
Some advice please,I have to return to the U/K from Spain and will be exchanging my Spanish plated car for a U/K plated car to drive back in.
I have seen a U/K plated car I am interested in it has a SORN notification in England,but no U/K tax or MOT here in Spain as it has lapsed.
I have been told that when I dock in England if I have pre-arranged appointment for a MOT in England and give a date and reference number to this effect to Police etc: it will be ok,also I have been told from the time I dock in England I have 7 days to get this MOT,then I can get road tax,can anyone please confirm this.
Roy.
The only time that you can drive an untaxed, un mot'd vehicle on the road in the Uk is to a prebooked mot test, so in your case, from the ferry to the mot station directly.
By the sounds of it, the vehicle is on the road in Spain illegally too!

Last edited by valenciatim; Jan 30th 2009 at 9:38 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for reply,
Should I get voluntary ITV here in Spain to see me through to MOT in England
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reply,
Should I get voluntary ITV here in Spain to see me through to MOT in England
If the car is on UK plates, the ONLY way it can be legal here, is to be taxed, mot's and insured in the UK. An ITV on a UK plated vehicle is only valid when having the vehicle matriculated onto Spanish plates.
An ITV is worthless in the UK on a UK plated car in the UK.

There are loads of threads on here about it, have a search! Your best bet really is to take the Spanish reg car back to the UK and sell it there.

Last edited by valenciatim; Jan 30th 2009 at 9:15 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Can you give me an idea where the threads are concerning my problem,been looking cant find any Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Can you give me an idea where the threads are concerning my problem,been looking cant find any Thanks
Try putting " UK car matriculation " in the search box.
There are about 250 threads on UK cars in Spain or going back.
I am afraid as it is not technically reg in UK or Spain you run the risk of instant crushing by having it on the road.
If it is no longer reg in the UK, they won`t wear the going for mot unless it`s on a transporter.
Have a read on the DVLC site about exporting a car from the UK for starters.

Last edited by jdr; Jan 30th 2009 at 9:39 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:46 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

The sorn was the incorrect document for the car, it should have been permanently exported
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:50 pm
Costa Blanca lover

BlueChip is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Roy.
Without MOT & tax you can only drive to a prior MOT appointment at a LOCAL garage - so if you land at Dover, the MOT would have to be done there. There are lot's of automatic cameras checking insurance and tax now and many police cars have automatic number plate recogniition technology on board.
You are almost guaranteed to get pulled at the docks as you arrive by the police, if the car is SORN I imagine the situation gets even more complicated.
In your shoes I would be arrangine for a car transporter or trailer to meet me at the docks
Old Jan 31st 2009, 6:18 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlueChip
Without MOT & tax you can only drive to a prior MOT appointment at a LOCAL garage - so if you land at Dover, the MOT would have to be done there. There are lot's of automatic cameras checking insurance and tax now and many police cars have automatic number plate recogniition technology on board.
You are almost guaranteed to get pulled at the docks as you arrive by the police, if the car is SORN I imagine the situation gets even more complicated.
In your shoes I would be arrangine for a car transporter or trailer to meet me at the docks
If you even get there, Guardia cars have VPR too.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Contact the DVLA and ask them. You can do it via the Web or by phone at least you would get a straight answer as to a course of action to take.

jim
Old Jan 31st 2009, 6:25 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
Contact the DVLA and ask them. You can do it via the Web or by phone at least you would get a straight answer as to a course of action to take.

jim
I am sure they will instantly think pound notes for them in unpaid taxes and fines. lol
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Probably but then he can factor this in. Mind you they are running at a loss with me as I have an old Mondeo parked in the drive thats on SORN (3 Years) and they have to keep contacting me each year. Think its the only thing left by Brown that still is free.

Jim
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

03630 will become famous soon enough03630 will become famous soon enough

Simple as this really. At the moment you have a perfectly loved for and legal car. On arrival in the UK you have 6 months to import it into the UK. Or, you can buy a car that the current owner was prepared to lie about in order to keep it in Spain. It might be stolen, it might be badly cared for. IMO it isn't worth the potential grief.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:20 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Roy.
Why not buy a UK plated car which has current tax and MOT, solves your problems. As has been said in many other posts, your car can only be legally driven on UK plates to an MOT centre. Please do not rely on what you are told by the people wanting to sell you the car, they will tell you anything to get you to buy it, it's not their problem once they have sold it, also as it is on SORN, they might question why it is coming in on a ferry as it obviously hasn't been off the roads. Also, depending on where the ferry is sailing from you may not only have the Spanish police to be wary of.