Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dentists in Vila Real or Monte Gordo

Dentists in Vila Real or Monte Gordo

Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dentists in Vila Real or Monte Gordo

Hello, I live in Ayamonte and I could do with some advice. My husband and I ventured to Vila Real to visit the dentist for the first time since we moved here. We had been told that Portugal would be cheaper. I paid 60€ for a check up and polish and my husband paid 120€ for a check up and 1 filling. That`s a total of 180€!! Don`t get me wrong the dentist did a good job. But we were left reeling over the price. Is this the norm? We paid a lot less in the UK. Can anyone recommend any other dentists in the vicinity or have any other suggestions. At this rate I can`t see us going to the dentist for regular checkups!!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 10:54 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentists in Vila Real or Monte Gordo

I paid about €120 for one filling and root canal work iirc which took 2 appointments

A filling is €40 , and a visit is €15 if you need a cap tightening - shes Spanish
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

davidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sharon B
Hello, I live in Ayamonte and I could do with some advice. My husband and I ventured to Vila Real to visit the dentist for the first time since we moved here. We had been told that Portugal would be cheaper. I paid 60€ for a check up and polish and my husband paid 120€ for a check up and 1 filling. That`s a total of 180€!! Don`t get me wrong the dentist did a good job. But we were left reeling over the price. Is this the norm? We paid a lot less in the UK. Can anyone recommend any other dentists in the vicinity or have any other suggestions. At this rate I can`t see us going to the dentist for regular checkups!!
Which one did you go to as I need to go, I didn't think it would be that expensive/??

What about the one in Ayamonte just up from the BP garage has anyone been there?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Margaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really nice

Originally Posted by davidpayne
Which one did you go to as I need to go, I didn't think it would be that expensive/??

What about the one in Ayamonte just up from the BP garage has anyone been there?
A friend of ours went there last week and had an x ray and filling cost 50 euros. She was very pleased with treatment and said they speak a little english.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

nelliemoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sharon B
Hi Sharon, I have been to the dentist ' Davico' next to the Mercadona and commercial centre in Ayamonte. Check ups were free and i went back to her on my next visit and as one of my fillings broke off, she repaired it and only charged me 42 Euros, when in England the same job was £125.

Very friendly, speaks little English. But well worth the visit.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

03630 will become famous soon enough03630 will become famous soon enough

I previously posted this:

I don't suppose I am allowed to name and shame but let me share my experience.

I broke a large filling which I knew would most likely require a crown.

1st visit inspection and x ray. 30 minutes late and 30 Euros
2nd visit Hygienist 30 minutes late 43 Euros
3rd visit 30 minutes late. I asked about the treatment and eventually discovered that the dentist was proposing 5 brand new fillings and 2 crowns. When asked about price he was very evasive. We agreed a knockdown rate of 600 Euros for 2 crowns, (starting from 800 Euros) but he was reluctant to start. Eventually he revealed that unexpected complications (like root canal work) could double the cost. It took me another 15 minutes to convince him I just needed a repair to my broken filling. He agreed but tried to anaesthetise the opposite side. Again when questioned he wanted to put fillings in teeth previously unfilled and do the repair at a later date. Another 10 minute conversation and I finally got my repair. A hastily smeared blob of amalgam across two teeth. Cost 100 Euros.
Total cost 173 Euros and I now have to seek more treatment because I cannot floss the gap.

Obviously I am prepared to accept the language-cultural thing but this really was low grade treatment and hardly the price that I was led to believe.

I have since had a second opinion in the UK. The UK dentist stated that the work I received wasn't great but was OK. He agreed the 5 small fillings were unnecessary.

With the pound/euro rate as it is there is definitely not much to choose in the price. Maybe as in everything there is good and bad everywhere.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

I hadn`t ventured to the one mentioned in Ayamonte because I had been told not to by a couple of Brits. But next time I think I will. I am hoping that my Spanish will get me by. Its worth a try at those prices!!