Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TV and Internet help

TV and Internet help

Old Jan 17th 2016, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV and Internet help

Originally Posted by Fred James
It's possible to block a VPN if you know the IP addresses they use. Smart DNS systems don't seem so easy. Netflix is now available in most countries, so it is becoming easier to access without a VPN.
But that's the point, Fred. Netflix has different IPR agreements with different territories so it does not want to allow people in an unlicenced or differently licenced territory to have unrestricted access or they will be in trouble with the IPR owners. So they intend to restrict access to content so that it can only be used where it is licenced.

If an organisation as wealthy as Netflix puts its mind to the technical challenge then they will solve it. This technology will then become readily available to other rights holders who will see it as a means of restricting access to their content or, more likely, a way of increasing revenue by charging more for access.
I fear this might be the end of UK TV for most of us. It could also be the death knell for 'free' internet access.

We can only hope that the anarchic developers who believe in a free, unfettered internet will keep one step ahead of the game.

Last edited by MikeJ; Jan 17th 2016 at 8:34 am.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 9:47 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

I use these servers for filmon tv... Camposat.Tv
Old Jan 17th 2016, 10:15 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
But that's the point, Fred. Netflix has different IPR agreements with different territories so it does not want to allow people in an unlicenced or differently licenced territory to have unrestricted access or they will be in trouble with the IPR owners. So they intend to restrict access to content so that it can only be used where it is licenced.

If an organisation as wealthy as Netflix puts its mind to the technical challenge then they will solve it. This technology will then become readily available to other rights holders who will see it as a means of restricting access to their content or, more likely, a way of increasing revenue by charging more for access.
I fear this might be the end of UK TV for most of us. It could also be the death knell for 'free' internet access.

We can only hope that the anarchic developers who believe in a free, unfettered internet will keep one step ahead of the game.
As you point out, the issue isn't the Internet, but IPR agreements with content owners. The reason for these is that regional broadcasters or content providers demand [somewhat] exclusive rights in the region(s) they are licenced to deliver that content. When Netflix comes in and broadcasts anything they want, it is a clear violation of the licences local broadcasters hold (and paid dearly for).

The Internet's openness actually represents a major challenge to legitimate content providers who aspire to conform to the terms of their agreements. But you're right, they will likely innovate some way to avert the averters.

End of UK TV? Well, not in the foreseeable future, but I suspect the time will come when you have to pay for it. I believe, if not for the technical challenges (and the costs of implementing controls, plus other legal issues) it would already be possible to get UK TV throughout Europe with a small dish and a sat/cable box with a (paid) card. But of course, the cost to UK broadcasters having to distribute cards and boxes and manage subscriptions is prohibitive - if you think TV licence is expensive now...

The other more remote possibility, is that TV licencing is abandoned altogether, in which case, it just won't matter anymore (for free to air broadcasting anyway). But its such big, big money, I seriously doubt that will ever happen, even though (IMO) TV licencing is nothing more than just another way to collect more tax.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

There's nothing new in being able to block the use of VPN's, 'TVCatchup' did it years ago. Companies can easily do it, if they want to!
Old Jan 17th 2016, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I have used Tvcatch up in Spain with a VPN?
Old Jan 17th 2016, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Bo S is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys for all you great advice. They all have merit.

I viewed camposat.tv on my smart tv at home (UK) and the picture was great (4.06 Mbps ADSL broadband download speed @ 15.00). But is no where as good viewing it on my laptop but liveable. Don't know if I would get the same download speed in CdS.

So when I domicile in southern Spain I just need to make sure there is a landline phone connection and buy a wifi router so my mobile phone and tv pick up the signal?

What is the typical cost for a bundle from one supplier? I would need adsl broadband, mobile data and mobile calls to give me my preferred tech pack. I would clearly need a new mobile phone number so I would prefer to use a big national company and contract to them for 24 months say to get a subsidised mobile phone (or even free depending on model). CarPhone Warehouse looks good and you can take the phone back to them under warranty if the phone goes faulty. Would you agree or know better?

Thanks,
Bo
Old Jan 17th 2016, 5:08 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Movistar is the biggest operator in Spain and they offer various packages that include a landline, ADSL and a mobile phone data contract. This may include offers on a new handset.

Here is an example.

http://www.movistar.es/promociones/p...3iGwodeBMKqg#/
Old Jan 18th 2016, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

We have just moved to Tarragona and are in a sort of limbo as regards to internet because we are in temporary accommodation at least for another 10 days. We went to the Phone house and got a Happy sim with reputedly 5Gb for 30 Euros. after 2 days it stopped working. Went and topped it up with 30Euros, It stopped the same day with 38Mb of traffic. It was roaming on Orange ????? DO NOT USE HAPPY IT IS A REAL CROCK and a ripoff pure and simple. Saturday we got a Tuenti sim from Movistar 30Euros again for 2Gb this time but it is still working. Tried everywhere, Tarragona, Salou, Cambrils El Vendrell to find a temporary solution..... nothing doing. Spain really is in the dark ages, in Italy over Xmas, a temporary Sim for Internet with 20Gb valid for 3 months cost 30Euros from Telecom.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 8:54 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Spain is definitely behind the times when it comes to telecommunications.

But you should've been here 10 years ago. Getting 1mb internet was not only astronomically expensive, but supplied by only a few, and only worked half the time. And there were no refunds for lack of service. Mobile Internet was the "cutting edge", very slow and cost a fortune.

How things change...
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
There's nothing new in being able to block the use of VPN's, 'TVCatchup' did it years ago. Companies can easily do it, if they want to!
I don't remember having issues with that service but didn't use it much, so i'll take your word for it.

But if was easy then many more would have been doing it. Sky has been one of the fiercest protectors of content over the years and their Sky Go service can be used with a VPN.

I'm 100% confident that I will be able to carry on using out-of-country services unless they choose one of two methods, asking the browser for location, or providing access only through native applications.

Even with the first, with some browsers you can load an extension that enables you to fake your location. With the second, they've got so many devices to think about.

I think it's going to be really hard for them to do to everybody. Yes, they'll be able to hit users of the big VPN/SmartDNS providers, but the ones who know how to implement the workarounds will be harder to take out.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bobd22
I have used Tvcatch up in Spain with a VPN?
Yes, loads of us did, but as I said they blocked the use of VPN's about 4 years ago!!
Old Jan 18th 2016, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, loads of us did, but as I said they blocked the use of VPN's about 4 years ago!!
I wasn't aware of that as not used it for some time. I tend to use KODI and FTV via the FTV Guide for tv when I am over these days. But good to know it is not now an option.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Keith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I wasn't aware of that as not used it for some time. I tend to use KODI and FTV via the FTV Guide for tv when I am over these days. But good to know it is not now an option.
Hi Bob, I have Kodi in the uk on an Amazon firestick . Can I bring this over with me and connect it to my wifi and get the same services as in the uk ?
Old Jan 19th 2016, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

How?
AFAIK TVCatchup used simple Geoblocking which is what VPNs and smart DNS circumvent. Automatically identifying IPAs which are being used as proxies and which change dynamically is not trivial technically.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 8:12 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a great video for anyone confused about how VPN and Smart DNS work:

On the subject of blocking VPN's it is apparently quite easy now to set up your own cloud-based VPN:-

If media companies do block VPN sites, you can build your own Personal Cloud VPN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.