Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TV and Internet help

TV and Internet help

Old Dec 14th 2015, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

terryjune is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TV and Internet help

Hi ive just bought a property in the torreblanca area fuengirola, could anyone give me an idea of prices for internet and getting uk tv please.Any reccomendations on which company to use? Thank you in advance
Old Dec 15th 2015, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Bigmomma1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TV and Internet help

Hi Terry & June, there are lots of options and service providers. We chose to go with Movistar for Telephone/WiFi but not the TV Package as we purchased a 'Smart' TV and can get free UK TV (except the Sports Channels) via the WIFi. Our local Movistar office staff spoke excellent English and explained all the packages available. Once we had decided to go with them they told us that our connection would take between 7-21 days, we were connected to both phone and on-line with our WiFi through 'Fibre Optic' cable, on day 7 !! We get all the main 'Terrestrial' channels no problem. However, if you didn't want to get a 'Smart' TV you could always opt for one of the many 'set top' boxes that are available. As an additional bonus, with the package I took out I also got a 'SIM' card for my iPad which gives me a monthly data allowance of 1Gb.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Check out Europa Network. I found them to be first class! If you use your computer connected to the tv via. an HDMI cable, you don't need their set top box.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

catsndogs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi TerryJune we use Danelca who are based in arroyo de la miel near the Cuedeca Hospice
You buy a small box and plug into TV and works thro Internet. We get all UK stations, a lot of sky progs and also catch up. Films and 200 video films 10 of which are changed each month. We are very pleased with it
Old Dec 15th 2015, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terryjune
Hi ive just bought a property in the torreblanca area fuengirola, could anyone give me an idea of prices for internet and getting uk tv please.Any reccomendations on which company to use? Thank you in advance
Hi, have a look at www.costasmarttv.com
I bought their TV box and can get all the UK tv channels, Sky and loads of film streaming channels. It connects through your internet and hdmi to the tv. One off payment and no subscriptions.

I have no connection with this company.

Steve
Old Dec 15th 2015, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

thank you for your replies, how much roughly a month is the internet packages to run the smart tv/tv boxes through?
Old Dec 15th 2015, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

It really will depend on the supplier that you go with and the type of 'package' that you elect to sign up for. However, as I am sure you are trying to work out your financial 'budgets' you need some rough guideline so, just by way of example, I chose Movistar but I only wanted the Landline phone and 4G WiFi package (which as it happened included a Data SIM card for my iPad), but not the TV package (Spanish TV). There were no installation charges? I have Fibre Optic so the service costs a little extra to have their WiFi+

This costs me €69 per month which is taken by monthly Direct Debit.

If you get a Smart TV then you can get the UK TV programmes via your WiFi. If you do not have a Smart TV then you have to purchase a set top box to obtain your UK TV programmes. With some of these you just purchase the box, one off cost at between €100-150, or you can rent the box and pay a monthly subscription, the costs of which will vary depending on 'The package' you require and the supplier you obtain it from.

Bear in mind, whether 'Smart TV' or 'Set Top' box, both require an active Internet connection so it won't matter what system you have, if your Internet connection drops out then so do your TV programmes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bigmomma1; Dec 15th 2015 at 3:54 pm. Reason: Change to post
Old Dec 15th 2015, 4:28 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Another option that is proving popular with expats is the new NowTV box.

It costs just £15 including postage in the UK. It gives all the main UK channels in catchup mode with the ability to receive live BBC and ITV channels. C4 and C5 are catchup only at present.

It is subsidised heavily by Sky who also offer various entertainment, sports and movie packages on a monthly PAYG basis. These are optional, so the only additional cost is a subscription to a SmartDNS package to get round the usual geographical limitations that UK broadcasters normally impose. This would also apply if you tried to use a Smart TV to access UK channels.

It is certainly the cheapest way of converting a TV to a Smart TV. It does require an Internet connection, but even a 3mb connection will provide quite acceptable picture quality, equal to any of the other IPTV boxes.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
so the only additional cost is a subscription to a SmartDNS package to get round the usual geographical limitations that UK broadcasters normally impose. This would also apply if you tried to use a Smart TV to access UK channels..
Hi again Fred, sorry for keep intervening in your responses to others but I don't fully understand the above ?

I obviously had to obtain a WiFi connection, done through Movistar as previously stated, I then purchased a 'Smart' TV. Then, and without any additional purchases, or subscriptions, I am now able to get, quite legally, 'Live' UK TV & Radio programmes.

Not being fully IT literate, just wondered what you meant by subscription to a SmartDNS package ?
Old Dec 15th 2015, 4:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

A Smart TV, used in Spain, will not allow you to access the UK catchup channels as it will recognise that you are in Spain by your IP address.

Normally you get round this by using a VPN or SmartDNS service.

Many of the other, more expensive subscrition IPTV solutions do not require the VPN or DNS services.

Have you actually watched UK TV through the BBC or ITV Player app on your Smart TV?
Old Dec 15th 2015, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

No, we are aware that we cannot use the 'iPlayer' outside of UK and we cannot use the 'catchup' facilities. However, we do not require these, we are not big TV addicts but there are some programmes that we like to watch if we are not 'out' or doing other things, therefore, watching 'Live' broadcasts meets our needs.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever internet connection you decide upon, be prepared to be ripped off compared to UK speeds and prices!
Old Dec 15th 2015, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Biffta
Whatever internet connection you decide upon, be prepared to be ripped off compared to UK speeds and prices!
You may well be correct, but this is a rather sweeping statement ?? Fancy enlightening us a little further by putting some meat on that bone !
Old Dec 15th 2015, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

thank you for all your helpful replies
Old Dec 16th 2015, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Fred

DNS and VPN will not enable many Spanish smart tvs to download UK apps. It's "Spanishness" is coded into the TV software. For example it is impossible to get UK apps onto a Spanish bought LG TV. So the only way of viewing iplayer (for example) is to view it via the BBC site on the TV's browser, using DNS/VPN.

On the other hand a Samsung smart tv, bought in Spain, can be converted to UK by entering a special software code. This has the disadvantage of getting all UK TV apps, but not allowing Spanish TV apps!

That is why even with a Samsung smart tv we prefer the now TV option.

Last edited by frigilianafreddy; Dec 16th 2015 at 11:45 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.