Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Which TV to buy?

Which TV to buy?

Old Jul 8th 2015, 10:24 am
Just Joined

G-Diffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which TV to buy?

Its time for a new TV and I want to be able to change the DNS server settings to get UK apps. I have had a lot of conflicting advice from local shops and satellite installers and so I was wondering if anyone knows which models /series allow DNS changes. I was told any LG or Samsung, no Spanish TVs and only Samsung bought in the UK, (so perhaps one bought in Gib would work).

I am not interested in IPTV at the moment as our internet connection will not support it and allow us to work at the same time.

I live on the Costa del Sol and have a twin LNB satellite setup for Astra 19.2 and 28.2.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 10:43 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which TV to buy?

If you want all the UK catchup apps buy a Samsung as they are currently (as far as I know) still the only one that offers all the channels. Incidentally, BBC iPlayer on the Samsung app gives all 4 BBC channels live.

Changing from the Spanish set of apps to UK apps is easy on the H series. The current series is the J series and this uses a completely new Smart Hub and as yet, know one has published the hack to change the app country. There are still plenty of H series boxes around at present - I bought one last week. It was actually set up with Italian apps as it came from Italy via Amazon Spain. That was fine to change over and the Spanish ones are OK as well. Be careful with products bought in Gib - they are sometimes set up for the middle eastern market.

Changing the DNS settings is easy on most devices (except the NOWTV), but it is just as easy to change the DNS settings in the router and then all devices can take advantage of them.

You say you are not interested in IPTV but the same speed limitations will affect the TV apps. I only have 2.5mb/s and the Samsung handles that OK with no buffering.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

IPTV relates to any type of internet TV, not limited to boxes, so if you cant watch IPTV then you cant watch the Apps, because they all use the same thing, unless you are confusing IPTV with Boxes.

I would not have thought many TV would not allow DNS change these days, I have a Sony and a Panasonic and they both allow it, but the Panasonic has limited the Apps, Still has iplayer but they knocked off the Youtube one,
Old Jul 8th 2015, 11:27 am
Just Joined

G-Diffy is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers for the replies.