Legal in Spain

Old Jul 5th 2015, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Legal in Spain

went to the Police station to De register, and met several couples who had ,lived in Spain for years, and never signed on the foreign citizens register.
They were only doing it now for reasons such as needing a hip operation. Until now, they said, they had got on well using the Spanish system, using only their card from the UK!
They probably thought I was mad to go to the bother of De registering, and wondered why I didn't just leave.
I admit I wondered that too, when, after seeing my husband sail through the process in 5 minutes, i spend over an hour on a hard chair in front of a grim faced official, as she tried to sort the problem where, 8 years ago someone had press the wrong key on the computer and put in a 1 instead of a 7, which would never have been noticed had I remained resident in Spain.
I daresay the same people who were only now registering because it suited them, and not because it's the law, would have been equally blase about paying income tax in Spain.
Is it worth the hassle of beging legal in Spain, and why can these people carry on with impunity?
Old Jul 5th 2015, 7:23 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal in Spain

They can carry on because the Spanish authorities have no certain way of knowing how many days of the year they reside in Spain.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 7:30 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I still think that you have done the correct thing. You registered in the first place because it was the legal way to go, have paid your dues as and when necessary and have now de-registered in order to keep the paperwork straight and legal.

The people who you are referring to are the type who give the rest of us law abiding people a bad name. They are takers not givers, they are parasites as far as I am concerned.

I worked with a woman who came over here a few months before me so we kept in touch via FB until one day she was moaning about something in her locality and my response about the fact as an expat living in Spain and paying her taxes her she should talk to the people in the town hall about her grievances. Strange that immediately she cut me out of her friends list, so I must have struck a nerve. I also know that her husband had been back to the UK for an operation so they were in fact being dishonest with both Spain and the UK.

Rosemary
Old Jul 5th 2015, 8:12 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
They can carry on because the Spanish authorities have no certain way of knowing how many days of the year they reside in Spain.
If they suspect that you are resident, but haven't paid tax it is up to you to prove that you have not spent more than 183 days in Spain - not for them to prove it.

Clearly, the reality is that they couldn't care less. It might be different if you have a multi-million euro income!

If they were serious about chasing up taxes, they would round up all those foreign registered cars that have been here for years and circulate freely with no tax or MOT.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 3:18 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

They often stop vehicles to check paperwork and regularly impound cars near me, but it does seems more appear quicker than they can impound them.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
If they suspect that you are resident, but haven't paid tax it is up to you to prove that you have not spent more than 183 days in Spain - not for them to prove it.

Clearly, the reality is that they couldn't care less. It might be different if you have a multi-million euro income!

Fred I believe you are absolutely spot on. Of course there are those that have lived permanently for years in Spain who have never made themselves resident but never return to UK or will until they are incapable through age of enjoying their Spanish high life. Then they will return expecting all that UK has to offer them by right! Then there are people who never intended or do in fact live in their Spanish holiday home for more than 3 months at a time but maybe say overall spend 7 months or so in Spain in total. The law says both are guilty but for me and I am similar but so far have never gone over the 183 days their is a big difference ( I know no doubt I will be deluged with opposite views) but it is obvious if you are here full time fine get on with and comply fully. If just enjoying your holiday home and you spend a few weeks longer but are paying your non residents tax etc what real harm are you doing. Of course I accept as Fred says the law is black and white but can be a bit fuzzy at the edges!
Old Jul 8th 2015, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

As 100% legit fiscal residents, we get all the advantages, I am about to apply for a pension through the Spanish system but have been held up due to lack of my UK NI number. Health care medicines ( which mistakenly I paid for for 18 months), savings in water and rates etc are quite substantial for residents.