Reload this Page >

Importing a car from another EU country

Importing a car from another EU country

Old Jul 3rd 2015, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

everlong26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing a car from another EU country

Hello,

I have been living here for 3 months now and I am hoping to purchase a car.
The range and prices of cars here in Spain leaves much to be desired.
Does anyone know how easy it is to buy a car in say France or Germany and use it in Spain?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 4:51 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a car from another EU country

It's no problem. You buy it in Germany and drive it to Spain where you will have to register it. That could cost you quite a lot, depending on the car and age. For a high emission car it could cost you 14.75% of the price in tax. At least you won't have to change the headlights etc. A low emission small diesel could be zero tax and all you pay is the fees and tests etc.

As you have not owned it before, you will not be able to claim the tax exemption that you would get if you brought a previously owned car from the UK when you first came to Spain.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

everlong26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply.
When you say paying tax on the price, is that tax on what the car is worth as new or on the price I paid for it?
How much approx are the fees and tests and is there a time limit on doing this?

Thanks so much.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi with the help of some nice guys here was introduced to a well versed company and my Honda CRV is now just about in the Spanish system.

I do not with to be seen as parsimonious or anything like that but it was important for us to be seen as 'legal'

We had some benefit here for the car was bought in France and of course left hand drive.

For personal reasons we now say that Spain is not for us and we will be moving back to France - yes - France.

How please do I arrive at a value for selling it here in Spain? Shows my age I remember Glass's guide!

best wishes
Old Jul 6th 2015, 8:08 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porth
Hi with the help of some nice guys here was introduced to a well versed company and my Honda CRV is now just about in the Spanish system.

I do not with to be seen as parsimonious or anything like that but it was important for us to be seen as 'legal'

We had some benefit here for the car was bought in France and of course left hand drive.

For personal reasons we now say that Spain is not for us and we will be moving back to France - yes - France.

How please do I arrive at a value for selling it here in Spain? Shows my age I remember Glass's guide!

best wishes
Have you thought about Portugal, the French are one of the most active buyers of property escaping the high tax regime in their home country.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Had thought but own a house there and have done for years and years.

Currently if one buys a house then the notaire (you cannot bypass them) charges between say 7-10% of its value most goes as you say to the state.

But another costs could be 5-10% to the agent. In all my years in France never used them preferred my own web site in selling quite a few houses in France.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our LHD car here in 2007, it was worth about 18K, It cost us 3000 to register it and get it tested. As for prices check out Milanuncios, you will get a pretty good idea from the lowest prices. Your local friendly insurance agent has a book or database with vehicle prices too. S/H prices are higher tan in most of EU but there has been an alignment in new prices this year.