Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TV antenna on roof

TV antenna on roof

Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

SaratonyT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TV antenna on roof

On our urbanisation we have a UK tv package with about 10 channels. We would also like to receive spanish tv, but our president doesn't want us to put an aerial on the roof of our villa. There are spanish residents who are complaining as well, they say the urbanisation is breaking the law by not providing a spanish tv service. Incredibly, the committee are also banning the installation of solar panels on the roof as well (because they don't like the look of them!). Has anyone else had similar problems?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:04 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV antenna on roof

AFIK a community can create whatever rules they like - or in your case don't like

I suggest you speak to your neighbours and have a meeting. It is your community and if you are unhappy with the president, elect a new one.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was Spanish law that all properties were able to receive Spanish TV but I suppose it might be pub talk??? I also thought that fairly new properties had to be built to include solar panels?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:09 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaratonyT
On our urbanisation we have a UK tv package with about 10 channels. We would also like to receive spanish tv, but our president doesn't want us to put an aerial on the roof of our villa. There are spanish residents who are complaining as well, they say the urbanisation is breaking the law by not providing a spanish tv service. Incredibly, the committee are also banning the installation of solar panels on the roof as well (because they don't like the look of them!). Has anyone else had similar problems?
I would just put one up, what can they do
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

SaratonyT is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you're right - the problem is with the President. The solar panel is already up and was up before they ruled against them being fitted on the roof - therefore it isn't going to be moved. The whole point of the solar panel is that it is fitted in the place that receives the most sun. Many of our neighbours have big satelite dishes on their solariums or attached to the outside of their houses, many have frames for sun awnings - maybe they should go as well?!?!?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 1:36 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know, the legal situation is that the community must provide the infrastructure for Spanish TDT.

Now whether or not this means it must be up and working and all properties connected is somehting else....

Suffice to say that put it to a vote at the community meeting, and even withthe spanish complaining about it it should go through....
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

It is the law that you must be able to receive spanish TV through TDT.

In other words an appropriate aerial must be fitted (communally or on every dwelling, depending on local or community by-laws) and every owner must have the capability to connect to that aerial.

Anybody who moves to Spain and forbids Spanish TV ought to be hung drawn and quartered. And then sent back to their own country if they're so in love with the TV. Just what planet is the moron president on?

Your president is WRONG. Your administrator (and you should insist on one if this dork continues to be president) should tell him the rules - and the law.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Triana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really nice

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
It is the law that you must be able to receive spanish TV through TDT.

In other words an appropriate aerial must be fitted (communally or on every dwelling, depending on local or community by-laws) and every owner must have the capability to connect to that aerial.

Anybody who moves to Spain and forbids Spanish TV ought to be hung drawn and quartered. And then sent back to their own country if they're so in love with the TV. Just what planet is the moron president on?

Your president is WRONG. Your administrator (and you should insist on one if this dork continues to be president) should tell him the rules - and the law.
Freddy, does that law apply only to communities of apartments? What about a community where there are individual villas each reposinsible for their own plots but, of course, with communal roads and infrastructure? Do you have a reference for that law please?
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Some communities of villas may not be under the same regs.

However you are covered by the european law on e-government and access to technology. Basically no one can be excluded form their national electronic means of communications - and that includes TV.

http://www.epractice.eu/en/document/288370

As i say your president is acting illegally and potentially blocking communications from government to residents - a European right.

You should immediately say he will be denounced and face the appropriate penalties (which in the case of a Brit blocking Spanish TV will be suitably onerous.)
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: TV antenna on roof

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Some communities of villas may not be under the same regs.

However you are covered by the european law on e-government and access to technology. Basically no one can be excluded form their national electronic means of communications - and that includes TV.

http://www.epractice.eu/en/document/288370

As i say your president is acting illegally and potentially blocking communications from government to residents - a European right.

You should immediately say he will be denounced and face the appropriate penalties (which in the case of a Brit blocking Spanish TV will be suitably onerous.)
I thought that on recent construction the TV antenna for TDT had to be included by the builder in the construction.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I thought that on recent construction the TV antenna for TDT had to be included by the builder in the construction.
That is certainly the case with apartments, but villas?

Anyway the fact is that the president is heading for big problems if he has gone into print with any of this 'no aerial' cr*p.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:28 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I volunteered to act as an interpreter at a community meeting once, quite a posh one and a mixture of English, German and Spanish owners. Talk about stereotypes. The Germans all complained about the rubbish, the Brits went on about the noise, and the Spanish didn't like satellite dishes.

Then the president started on about owners sweeping the sand from their terraces, the community is on a slope and soon individual owners were shouting at those with higher terraces sweeping the sand on to theirs.

I tried translating with a straight face and didn't interpret some of the nasty words (I didn't even know some of them). Then a little Spanish pensioner threw a plastic water bottle at a giant German pensioner who had hosed down his higher terrace, flooding the bottle thrower's one.

When I saw a British pensioner, who was pissed as a parrot, make his unsteady way towards the presiden't table where I was sitting, I asked for my money as I hadn't been paid yet, but it was too late, the drunk tried to head butt the president and the meeting broke up.

I didn't mind, it was just about the funniest hour of my life.